Menu

Anyone has kids who does not like doing the

happycc

activity guide and worksheets for Story of the World? They just want me to read aloud the stories and move on. Will they get as much out of the curriculum if I just read it outloud? Maybe I should do an initial read aloud of the whole book and then go back and do the activities and narrations?

There is no way we could have time to do the activities. I wistfully scan them and think, "Maybe, in 4 years, when we're back to Ancient History again... maybe then my oldest daughter might get excited about some of these activities and decide to do them with my 2nd daughter..." But for the most part, no. We're just quite blessed to even squeeze history in and get everyone fed for lunch and laundry done and baths taken!

So basically, I read the story while she colors a page (if there is one), ask the review questions and take her narration, and that's it. We've done 1, maybe 2 of the activities this year. Shoot, I just recently figured out the library order-online and pickup books at the drive-thru feature, so we ARE getting some library books to go with history now too.

The best, though, has been the audio CDs. They stay in the car and they're not allowed to "listen ahead" of where we are in school. They request history EVERYTIME we're in the van so we've had to set down the law "NO HISTORY ON SUNDAY" - even Mom gets tired of it sometimes! But its the best review tool ever.

Christie P

What about doing it 2-3 times a week

Day 1 &2 (Or just Day 1) - Read chapter, and discuss. Use discussion questions or ask for a narration of the chapter.

Day 3 - Listen to the Audio, and possibly do the test.

Basically just do the reading, then hear it again from the audio. I usually let my children start the questions, why did such and such do this? And then I answer. I se their natural curiosity to learn more. If I don't know the answer, we go and look it up.

You could also use Mr Donns Site. This gives Powerpoint presentations of everyday lives etc.

We use the globe and a world map for our map work. My dc aren't interested in the worksheets at all. We read many of the books suggested. We pick and choose activities. I think the more you do the more they remember but you've got three times through to get it all. No sense in burning out on the first round.

There's just so much in those activity guides! We usually just read the chapter while my girls color, then we do the map work. We discuss what we read and do oral narrations. I don't usually make them write down anything. They seem to retain quite a bit, especially my oldest girl.

We are finishing up Level 4 and I will start it all over again next year with my youngest, while my 9 year old listens in again (but he'll also do K12 History Odyssey and Classical House of Learning.) I tried to do the activity guide the first year and it was a bust. It took too much time and it didn't seem to enhance his learning.

We listen to the chapter about 2 times. My son also reads the books on his own. I ask him the review questions and then he reads lots and lots of library books on the corresponding topics. I do appreciate the Activity Guide for the list of books, though our library doesn't have many of them. We tend to read more supplemental books on certain topics and less on others. For example, he's been reading a lot of books about World War I.

My son loves history and has retained a lot of information this way.

My kids hated the coloring sheets and mapwork with a passion. They didn't like the activities either. They just wanted SOTW and corresponding novels.

:iagree:

My ds is the same way. I wish I could purchase just the recommended reading lists/corresponding literature for each chapter instead of the whole AG for future levels.

activity guide and worksheets for Story of the World? They just want me to read aloud the stories and move on. Will they get as much out of the curriculum if I just read it outloud? Maybe I should do an initial read aloud of the whole book and then go back and do the activities and narrations?

:iagree: At this age, I feel my child doesn't have the maturity to do justice to history. Science is our "spine", and we do our narrations over myths and science books (say, a book on magnets). I read and read to him, and he listened to SOTW on audio many times while I wasn't home, and periodically he pipes up: Elizabeth the First -- we know her! when we bump into historical things elsewhere, so he is learning something.

My goal for history in this stage is name, place, and event recognition, a mental time line of technology, and a sense we are still a part of history -- that the people who lived before us were real, and lived lives just as we do, that they aren't in a novel and aren't that different from us. Also, from a very personal viewpoint, I teach about human folly, and what mass hysteria, blind obedience, fads, adrenaline addiction, corruption, etc. have done to humans.

HTH.