Menu

Your favorite books for kids......

too many (especially for that age) to list. :lol:

With children that age I would suggest getting some "books about books" as I call them. My favorites are:

Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook

More Books Kids Will Sit Still For

Books To Build On

New York Time's Best Books for Children

I think if you invest in these (you could find them in a library first to see how you like them) you would have nearly all the info you would want about good books for this age.

Also check Ambleside online and look at their year 0 booklist. I also really like Peak With Books for activities to relate to picture books for the prekinder age.

A lot of people like Sonlight and FIAR's booklists. You may be able to find those online. There's a short list of books for that age in WTM.

If you have a good library, I wouldn't buy too much for that age. We always checked out loads from the library, bought from he thrift store, and then splurged when there was something we couldn't find at the library or that they really loved.

Just a few of our dozens of "heirloom" books (DSs loved and wanted over and over again) to get you started:

- board books (the wordless Carl books were much loved)

- Golden books

- Richard Scarry tall books (like "Cars & Trucks & Things that Go")

- Dr. Seuss books (The Sneetches; On Beyond Zebra; If I Ran the Circus; Alphabet book)

- Animalia by Graham Base

- The Father Christmas Letters by JRR Tolkien (this edition)

Edited by Lori D.

I would buy these again for another child or niece or nephew if I had one because they were loved either by me or family members as a child:

Pat the Bunny

Poems to Read to the Very Young

a collection of Mother Goose, with lots of illustrations

Oh the Thinks You Can Think!

Winnie-the-Pooh

a richly illustrated book of fairy tales, I like A Treasury of Children's Literature

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Pickle-Chiffon Pie

20th Century Children's Book Treasury

Five in a Row books

Sonlight 3/4 and 4/5 books

Let's Read and Find Out level 1 science books

We have to purchase everything, but honestly I am glad we did! We are starting to outgrow some of the titles, but I'm going to keep them forever and pass them on to grandkids someday. I love having the same, wonderful books permanently on our shelves, and the kids have really "bonded" with many of them :001_smile:.

We have to purchase everything, but honestly I am glad we did! We are starting to outgrow some of the titles, but I'm going to keep them forever and pass them on to grandkids someday. I love having the same, wonderful books permanently on our shelves, and the kids have really "bonded" with many of them :001_smile:.

:iagree: I've planned far into the future. There are books that I see myself storing oh so carefully for the day I have grandchildren.

Tumble Bumble

The Napping House

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear

Nora Gaydos readers

My Big Green Pocketbook

Blueberries for Sal

My Little Picture Bible http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756639972/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_o03_s00_i03_details

Sarah Gillingham board books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0811865568/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_o03_s00_i06_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0811870529/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

My 2-year-old is really into animals so some of her favorite series right now are:

Curious George

Corduroy

Biscuit

Spot

Maisy

She also likes:

What Mommies Do Best (there are other ones in the series)

Toes, Ears, and Nose (and others in the series, lift-the-flap books)

Geraldine's Blanket

Brown Bear, Brown Bear (and others in the series)

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

Peekaboo Kisses

Lift the Flap Farm

Mommy Mine

A Color of His Own

Z is For Zoo

Ten Little Ladybugs

My First Colors (DK)

Cat (by Fleet)

Time For Bed

Barnyard Dance (Boynton)

I Don't Want to Go to Bed (Sykes)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Peek-A-Who (board book with mirror at the end so they can see themselves)

There are some older books that we have that have nursery rhymes that she likes as well. When my oldest daughter was younger she really loved a book called Clara Caterpillar (really cute book with the repetition of a lot of words that start with "C"). She also really liked If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and all the books in that series. Another cute one was Cookie's Week (about a cat, good for beginning readers). Click Clack Moo Cows That Type is really funny. The Kissing Hand (really sweet story), The Grouchy Ladybug, there are so many I could list! There is this old story called Donkey Donkey that is a really good story but it may be hard to find. Also, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.

Here are a few more:

Chester (by Syd Hoff)

I Love You So Much

The Magic Porridge Pot

Chrysanthemum

Edited by txhomemom

Tumble Bumble

Hand Hand Finger Thumb

Goodnight, Gorilla

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

In the Garden with Van Gogh

A Magical Day with Matisse

That's Not My Mermaid / Fairy / Dragon / etc...

Animals (Priddy Books)

Colors (Priddy Books)

First Words (Priddy Books)

Five Little Pumpkins

Barnyard Dance

Peek-A-Who

Baby Beluga

For this age, consider great read alouds with good moral lessons & character. When Lamplighter books were first suggested to me, I thought, "My children will never like these! There are no pictures!" Little did I know, that these very books would be their first choice when we went to the selves for read aloud!

I love it when I would find them out in the yard acting out a scene from a recent book like Hedge of Thorns, Helen's Temper, Jill's Red Bag, Little Threads, or Teddy's Button.

All I can say is....PRICELESS!

Enjoy teaching your children!

KimberlyNC

The Knuffle Bunny trilogy is pretty great.

We really enjoy these.

Current favorites at our house:

DK First Encyclopedias (Nature, Human Body, Animals) - hours of interest

The Dragons Are Singing Tonight ~ Jack Prelutsky (a big hit here)

There are so many beautiful or clever or just plain FUN picture books out there; we check out a lot from the library...too many to consider buying.