Menu

If you had/have/were to have a dyslexic 10 year old...

AimeeM

who only struggled with spelling and writing, but is on par with reading and advanced in math...

Would you drop writing for the rest of the year in favor of concentrating just on spelling and using her grammar/punctuation in context for language arts?

She is struggling in a big way with her writing and seems overwhelmed by spelling, grammar, AND writing. I have simplified the remainder of her year to just logic, math, science, spelling, and grammar and I'll be honest - she is flourishing with it. No more tears. Writing (as a curriculum or copy work) was taking her forever. Her biggest issue in writing is using her spelling and grammar WITHIN her writing - so we've just dropped writing.

I'm a bit worried, although it's been working, that we are "shorting her" by taking the formal writing program away; but on the other hand, I can't deny the results.

We were in this position; younger DS struggled terribly with both the physical act of writing, with learning to write, and with spelling (mild dyslexia that mostly hit him with abstract math concepts; spelling; and writing).

We drastically reduced the amount of writing needed in all other curriculum areas: practiced the spelling orally and on the whiteboard -- NOT by writing them (which did NOT help him learn how to spell, anyways! Eventually, we did manage to incorporate dictation of several SHORT sentences, each with 3-4 spelling words in them, by the end of the week -- but that also would be in lieu of copywork that day). We never did "drill and kill" math facts by writing (again, NOT the way his visual-spatial learner brain learns!). We used Winston Grammar (which does not require writing). And we never did more than 1-2 sentences of writing in one sitting.

BUT, we did write several times throughout the day (interspersed with non-writing things). So -- maybe 1-2 sentences of copywork for handwriting practice in the morning, and then 1-2 sentences right before lunch on some writing assignment. Then either 1-2 sentences from a journal prompt OR another 1-2 sentences on the writing assignment after lunch.

"Double dip" EVERYTHING to make all the writing count twice -- for example, have the copywork be a sentence or two at a time from a paragraph of narration that she dictated to you from history/science/reading book from the previous week, and you wrote down what she said. Have the writing assignments be the book report, science report, or history report. Have the journal prompt or creative writing be something SHE has thought of and wants to write about -- a story, or poem; or make it the thank you note to gramma for the birthday gift...

Writing things that were a BIG help at that age:

- IEW idea of key word outlines, AND, breaking up doing one paragraph over an entire week, one sentence a day

- Wordsmith Apprentice (we broke the gentle assignments into even smaller "bites" -- and he really enjoyed the silly cartoons and the "cub reporter" theme)

- Peggy Kaye's "Games for Writing" -- he especially loved the game where you alternate turns writing a story; you roll a die and that's how many words you are allowed to add -- he actually *Begged* for a re-roll if he got a "1"!

- while we didn't discover these until his teens, Dianne Craft's writing 8s exercises and Callirobics helped make the physical act of writing not so painful and difficult for DS -- at your DD's age, you might want to try these over the summer when not doing ANY other writing, or wait until she's a little older and can tolerate a little more writing each day

Spelling things that were a big help (though, nothing really seemed to "take hold" until his brain began to mature in the spelling areas, about age 12):

- Megawords

- visual picture/story for homophones on the whiteboard (for example meat, draw the "a" as a heart = I LOVE meat, and "meet" draw a stick person at each end of the word shaking hands over the double "ee" in the middle)

- out loud spelling practice, with the word on the white board, looking at each letter while saying it

- using whole arm, make each letter with finger on the table top, looking/saying each letter

- visual memory ideas from Dianne Craft's website and Jeffrey Freed's book "Right Brain Children in a Left Brain World"

Feel your pain! BEST of luck in finding how to work your way through the dyslexia and spelling and writing! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Could you just cut back significantly? Perhaps just a couple sentences of her own thoughts, or one sentence of dictation. Enough to keep her going forward, but not overwhelming. Or maybe every other day or twice a week or whatever works. Just so she doesn't slip backward.

The special spelling program we use (Apples and Pears) has dictation daily (a couple sentences).

I think it's fine to take a break. Writing is a problem for both of my kids. For ds the "powers that be" just chalk it up as part of his autism, but dd has been diagnosed with a learning disability in written expression. I have found with both of them that backing off and letting them take it at their own pace, and focusing on quality rather than quantity, actually worked wonders. I would recommend listening to SWB's audio lectures on writing. They helped me feel a lot better about striking out on my own path a bit with writing.

I've been playing around with teaching writing lessons ORALLY. A lot of writing topics don't need to be WRITTEN. Learning to describe, and to organize thoughts and so many other composition topics, can just be TALKED about.

Also, I've been doing sentence composing based on a grammar rule. A single sentence is "composition". You might be able to tweak some of those grammar lessons into a sentence composition. If need be, the sentence composition can be done orally. Or you can write down what she says, and then she can copy it.

I've been playing around with teaching writing lessons ORALLY. A lot of writing topics don't need to be WRITTEN. Learning to describe, and to organize thoughts and so many other composition topics, can just be TALKED about.

Also, I've been doing sentence composing based on a grammar rule. A single sentence is "composition". You might be able to tweak some of those grammar lessons into a sentence composition. If need be, the sentence composition can be done orally. Or you can write down what she says, and then she can copy it.

Agreeing.

The 3 processes involved in writing -- *thinking* of what to say, actual physical *act* of writing, and *spelling*/punctuation -- are all processed in 3 very different parts of the brain. It really helps struggling writers/spellers to SEPARATE these functions, and slowly, as they learn to be stronger in each individual function, you can bring these processes together -- it's like asking an uncoordinated person to juggle instantly; instead, help them learn the skills and strengthen the muscles through practice, and THEN bring it all together.

So, have your DD dictate to you for the thinking part of writing. At a LATER time, she can, a little at a time COPY that dictation, as copywork. Or, another time, have her compose/write 1-3 sentences, and set it aside. And at a later time, she can PROOF the writing -- grammar usage and spelling practice!

I think working on spelling and dictation (using words she can spell) is fine for now. I wouldn't reintroduce a formal writing program until she has mastered at least 1000 spelling words. You can do informal things (journal, a sentence here & there, notes, Christmas and shopping lists, dictation and copywork--but read mistake #2 for what NOT to do with copywork, especially a child who struggles with dyslexia).

Essentials in Writing has a nice, incremental approach and has been a hit here.

I haven't used King's Writing Skills, but that is specifically for kids with Dyslexia. IEW and Writing Strands authors both had kids with dyslexia, and might be ones to look into.

You might also look into vision processing issues: www.covd.org

Merry :-)

Lori D. has made some pretty fabulous suggestions.

My oldest son is dyslexic and he didn't do much writing prior to junior high.

In junior high and high school my son loved fan fiction and he loved to write stories. I let him write stories on his laptop that were just for him. Sometimes he shared, but when he did I resisted the urge to correct anything.

Also, one summer (I think that it was summer before 8th grade. We held him a year, so he would have been 14yo that summer) we watched TWSS together. That was definitely helpful.

After working through several years of IEW, I do wish that in his junior or senior year I had spent time systematically going through different types of essays.

HTH-

Mandy

who only struggled with spelling and writing, but is on par with reading and advanced in math...

Would you drop writing for the rest of the year in favor of concentrating just on spelling and using her grammar/punctuation in context for language arts?

Hey, I HAVE that ten year old! I do think sometimes they need to mature a bit and take a break on something that is hard, but there's also the thought that the things that are most difficult need the MOST attention. I have taken short breaks, but have always kept LA as my biggest focus. My son has never learned from practicing grammar/punctuation in context. Copywork, dictation, editing practice .... nope. So I stick with explicit instruction.

Spelling is what I backed off on this semester. I gave up on Apples and Pears a couple months ago - he was still just guessing and we were in book C. For the past few weeks, I've been using the "Overteaching Spelling" method that's described on the SN board, and it's going extremely well. We're working through level 1 words and anything that's not strictly phonetic, he misses. The kid just misspelled "here" and "these." I can't overemphasize how much difficulty he has with spelling. The overteaching method is very quick and much less stress than anything we've used before. Since it's targeted, it's working.

I've also been sort of gentle with writing. Up til now I've only had him for half of the day, so I only just started doing regular writing. I have been using some ebooks I got from Scholastic. "Paragraph Writing Made Easy" is like baby IEW. We've been working on making key word outlines. After I'm done with this book, I plan to use "Paragraph Power" which is similar but takes it farther.

He does do GWG 4 and as long as I actively teach the lesson and make sure he understands the new concept, he's been fine. I know some people say their kids don't retain anything, but I think he's doing okay with it.

I am busy planning for next year, and I have decided to do some intensive work in writing using SWI-A. I am also going to hit phonics/spelling hard with Saxon Phonics Intervention. DS reads pretty well but that's in spite of a weak foundation in phonics. I think he just wasn't ready for all the work we did before. He struggles with the basics, like sequencing sounds in words, he skips words in sentences, etc. The Saxon program will remediate the phonics and *I hope* remediate his spelling as well. He'll be doing GWG 5 next year.

I'm keeping history and science fairly light/open-and-go to compensate for the extra effort in phonics/spelling and writing. Math will be Saxon, which he can do mostly on his own.

My 4 year old is learning to read and do basic math almost without effort. I am SO relieved! Schooling him is going to be so much more fun.

I've also been sort of gentle with writing. Up til now I've only had him for half of the day, so I only just started doing regular writing. I have been using some ebooks I got from Scholastic. "Paragraph Writing Made Easy" is like baby IEW.

:iagree:

Paragraph Writing Made Easy has been very helpful for DS.

My Dyslexic ds also has Dyspraxia (trouble with writing). While it will never go away there are exercises to help him improve that we've spent time focusing on. At 11 that was much more important for him than very much writing. He pretty much only did AAS and math with a pencil in his hand.

I thought his trouble with writing was just with the spelling until we had him checked out. It was really good to get the whole picture and see how to help him!!!

Working on typing is a GREAT idea! Also getting you dc to narrate to you and do other things orally. My ds' expressive and reasoning ability has always been way more advanced than what his hand can handle.

Great link to your blog, Merry!

Edited by Bula Mama

I think you should teach your child to type ASAP. Typing for DS has changed everything.

She wants to transition back into a school environment at some point (and yes, we are allowing her to help make that decision, although we will keep homeschooling her brother); without an IEP (which we do not necessarily want), she would not be allowed to just type -vs- actually writing. She does type for fun... but really, her spelling and grammar usage is just as terrible typing :tongue_smilie:

Oddly enough, her grammar in isolation is GREAT. She can pick apart a sentence with the best of 'em and is working steadily through the sample chapters of Advanced Language Lessons. She just doesn't transfer that or her spelling to her writing. Lol.

I think working on spelling and dictation (using words she can spell) is fine for now. I wouldn't reintroduce a formal writing program until she has mastered at least 1000 spelling words.

I haven't used King's Writing Skills, but that is specifically for kids with Dyslexia. IEW and Writing Strands authors both had kids with dyslexia, and might be ones to look into.

Interesting! I have found the same issues with spelling; we are focusing on that for now (hoping that the Writer's Station in AAS 3 will help in that regard too). I also have previewed Writing Strands and thought that it would be a good choice that I can scaffold for ds, and maybe now I realize why!

Oddly enough, her grammar in isolation is GREAT. She can pick apart a sentence with the best of 'em and is working steadily through the sample chapters of Advanced Language Lessons. She just doesn't transfer that or her spelling to her writing. Lol.

Sorry for the multiple posts!

I think this is pretty typical for dyslexics. Our neuropsych said to expect problems with writing to persist throughout the middle school years and come together much better during adolescence (14+).

I would take a break if you need to (which it sounds like you do) and not feel bad about it. Then I would slowly add in a tiny bit of writing... not even approximating what she was doing before and causing her to struggle. Just a sentence or 2 here and there. Don't stress about it.

Have you looked at the Institute for Excellence in Writing? When she's had a big breather from a writing curriculum, maybe this type of thing would help her. They try to help the kids step-by-step learn how to think, figure out what to write, and put it on paper. I think they cover grammar, too. I haven't used it yet, but I emailed them and asked some questions and they were SUPER nice and helpful. A lady responded (actually, the lady who wrote PAL... I can't remember her name right now) and said she had a child who struggled big-time with writing and on Day 1 of SWI-A he wrote a paragraph and said this writing was fun! I guess she was amazed (as I would be! I'm hoping for similar results!!). Also, Andrew Pudewa (sp?) is supposedly very likeable and funny on the DVD lessons, so maybe that would lighten things up a bit? But, like I said, I won't go here until she's had a good long break. Let her relax about writing for a while and do the minimum until you both have your second-wind.:)

Edited by TaraJo29

Interesting! I have found the same issues with spelling; we are focusing on that for now (hoping that the Writer's Station in AAS 3 will help in that regard too). I also have previewed Writing Strands and thought that it would be a good choice that I can scaffold for ds, and maybe now I realize why!

Yes, after AAS 3 is a good time to introduce a writing program. The Writing Station is a good bridge between dictation and writing on their own outside of spelling. Both dictation and the WS offer great opportunities to teach editing as well. It does all come together, but it takes time and patience when kids really struggle with dyslexia or for other reasons.

I do have that kid. And, no, I don't favor dropping everything else to focus on the weak subjects.

According to our ed psych, there comes a point of diminishing returns in remediation. That means that the amount of time that you are putting into a subject is not worth the result you are getting out. At that point, you start looking to compensation instead of remediation.

This may go against the CW of the board, but I continue to focus on ds's strengths rather than the weaknesses. If I took away his Math & Science time and made school nothing but LA, he would quickly lose his spark. This doesn't mean that we don't keep trying to fix the spelling and the writing and the punctuation, but it definitely means that we are not going to spend all our time (or even most of our time) there.

For spelling, we use AAS (most people seem to drop the tiles after Level 1 or 2, but ds still relies on them heavily). We use Writing Skills from EPS for writing, plus Kidspiration software for brainstorming. He knows how to type and use a word processor and spell checker. We use Winston Grammar for visual / no writing grammar instruction. I am flummoxed for the moment about punctuation but am hoping Editor in Chief on cd-rom will fix some of those errors. This mix of computer based, low- or no- writing curriculum lets him concentrate on concepts vs worrying about his spelling on every little thing.

:grouphug: Have you read Dyslexic Advantage yet?

Oh I'm not taking her good subjects! At all - we tend to be far more science and math centered than history and LA in general. She would flip if I took science and math. Lol. She does three curriculums for math (CLE as main, Key To beside that, and Math Mammoth just for random problem areas - she is ready to start AOPS this summer) and we center on that and science.

For LA right now all we do is Apples and Pears for spelling (we only started a month ago and it includes dictation) and ALL for grammar. We dropped writing for now in favor of working on her spelling and grammar.

I have not read that book. I've read The Gift of Dyslexia. Is it similar? I'll have to check it out!

She wants to transition back into a school environment at some point (and yes, we are allowing her to help make that decision, although we will keep homeschooling her brother); without an IEP (which we do not necessarily want), she would not be allowed to just type -vs- actually writing. She does type for fun... but really, her spelling and grammar usage is just as terrible typing :tongue_smilie:

My 12yo sits in a 6th grade classroom and carries a Dana Alphasmart. My family provides a printer for him to use at school, where DS types up and prints his work. He still does print work; however, I prefer he type. He started carrying the NEO Alphasmart to class in 4th grade with the spell checker turned off. Handwriting is painful and slow for DS. He would not be able to keep up with the tremendous notetaking without being able to type 40WPM. On occasion, DS gives notes to NT kids that cannot keep up.

I'll add here that DS attends private Christian school and works without an IEP. DS is diagnosed dyslexic/dysgraphia/dyscalculia in the gifted range. My son's expressive language is incredible, and he can't spell for beans either.

I was going to recommend other resources for you. Evan-Moor booklet EMC 6010 How to Report on Books provide excellent, gentle book report ideas. DS has completed at least 2 reports based off this book. Quick & Creative Reading Response Activities is very good as well. Also, the book The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides is fabulous. Wait a minute...I see now that Shari beat me to this recommendation

Edited by Heathermomster

Guest thesojourners

I have a 9.5 yr old daughter with diagnosed reading, writing, AND math disorders. We are doing heavy language arts right now and seeing progress. After reading Sally Shayawitz's book Overcoming Dyslexia, I felt that heavy-duty language intervention right now WOULD be appropriate and could make all the difference long-term. If she does go to "school" in the future, I want her to be able to keep up, and I want her to know how to use tools that will help her (audiobooks, spell check, etc.)

These are things we are trying this year. Not ALL simultaneously, although we are putting in a lot of time each day.

Type2Learn

Handwriting without Tears Cursive

Callirobics Handwriting Exercises to Music 7-14

Easy Grammar: Daily Guided Teaching and Review for Grade 2 (a great workbook for gentle instruction and review, not much writing, daughter had to start at this level and I REALLY recommend it)

Calvert Verticy Composition and Grammar Yellow

Kidspiration

All About Spelling Level 3

Lots of good books that interest her

Audiobooks from Learning Ally and Bookshare

Read Naturally Live! (oral fluency)

Abecedarian Reading

The most challenging subject is the Composition course . . . NOT the content, but the actual act of writing. (Sounds familiar, eh?) Today we tried out speech to text software (free with Windows 7; some people buy Dragon Naturally Speaking) as a substitute for Mama-the-scribe. After some initial training for the computer, we were very happy with the results. Daughter was THRILLED, actually. She still had to think through the process, make sure the words were correct, make sure the paragraph was indented and had all its parts, but her work was much more creative when the act of writing/typing and spelling was removed. (Spelling errors don't impact this course anyway, since it is designed for kids with language learning struggles.) We have done narration to Mom before, so she picked up narrating to the computer without protest.

I am trying to keep time in the day for the subjects she loves, like history and science, but we're doing them the fun way, very interest-directed, audiobooks and dvds and hands-on creativity. And we leave lots of time for art and projects.

I just remembered that your daughter doesn't want an IEP if she transitions to a local school. But perhaps she could still do her big assignments at home with a speech-to-text program anyway . . .

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Anne C.

My 12yo sits in a 6th grade classroom and carries a Dana Alphasmart. My family provides a printer for him to use at school, where DS types up and prints his work. He still does print work; however, I prefer he type. He started carrying the NEO Alphasmart to class in 4th grade with the spell checker turned off. Handwriting is painful and slow for DS. He would not be able to keep up with the tremendous notetaking without being able to type 40WPM. On occasion, DS gives notes to NT kids that cannot keep up.

I'll add here that DS attends private Christian school and works without an IEP. DS is diagnosed dyslexic/dysgraphia/dyscalculia in the gifted range. My son's expressive language is incredible, and he can't spell for beans either.

I was going to recommend other resources for you. Evan-Moor booklet EMC 6010 How to Report on Books provide excellent, gentle book report ideas. DS has completed at least 2 reports based off this book. Quick & Creative Reading Response Activities is very good as well. Also, the book The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides is fabulous. Wait a minute...I see now that Shari beat me to this recommendation

The private school was okay with that? We aren't sure yet, if she does decide to go back into bm school, if she will be entering the Catholic school (again) or the local public middle school (an Arts magnet). I know the arts magnet would require an IEP for special services to be allowed (something we do not want). It would be great, if she does enter the Catholic school again, if we were able to talk them into something like this. Lol.

The private school was okay with that? We aren't sure yet, if she does decide to go back into bm school, if she will be entering the Catholic school (again) or the local public middle school (an Arts magnet). I know the arts magnet would require an IEP for special services to be allowed (something we do not want). It would be great, if she does enter the Catholic school again, if we were able to talk them into something like this. Lol.

The school is completely OK with it. They hold off writing IEPs though until high school. We've met with them every year since 2nd grade, with a neuropsychology report in hand. The key is to develop a relationship with the headmaster and teachers. Thus far he's been tested twice, once in 2nd grade and just prior to 6th. DS does all the homework and assignments. We provide the printers. The school bears no responsibility for damage. DS signs an oath to not cheat with the Alphasmart. The NEO is extremely durable and very easy to use.

Outside of grammar and math, DS soars. He's coming home full time in the Fall because the afterschooling is getting to be too much. DS is not remediated with math. DS wants to return for 11th grade, but we'll see about that. I was advised by the Dr. that tested DS to homeschool because the one-on-one teaching is most beneficial to him.

I'm not going to say that the process has been easy. Some teachers have worked in private schools for a very long time, most don't understand LDs, and ultimately, the school is not bound by Wright's Law. One or two teachers have expressed confusion about DS typing because they don't understand the nature of dysgraphia. Definitely speak with the school prior to ruling anything out. Continue handwriting practice too...

I think you know the situation best. It is okay to take time off sometimes, and sometimes going back, maybe to a new curriculum with renewed hopes and freshness can help.

I myself would not avoid a major subject like writing, however, for very long.

I think IEW is very suitable for my ds's dyslexia-ish situation, particularly since it separates the various needed skills.

I personally tend to rate spelling lower than composing--I was a good speller, but think too much time was devoted to spelling during my own education. We do work on spelling some, but nowhere near as much as on other aspects of writing.

My son has a concurrent IEP along with hs, and as consequence we are over at the ps a lot. It looks to me like many students are using computers to type out their writing, and a few are carrying notebook computers around with them--this seems to be increasingly accepted as a norm, though it could vary by area, school, or even individual teacher. But it seems that teachers would prefer to have legible assignments...you might check to see whether typing would be allowed even without an IEP.

You might want to also post on the special needs forum. There are all sorts of nuances and legal details. You may not need special 'services' or an IEP and yet may want, need, and may, depending on the circumstances, be entitled to special 'accommodations' if she returns to a bm school. And you might need to make your case by analogy to other devices used by people with some area of deficit, for example, she may need to be allowed to use a device that would allow her to type, just as some other child might need to use glasses.

Out of curiosity, why do/does you/she not want to consider the IEP route?

You might want to also post on the special needs forum. There are all sorts of nuances and legal details. You may not need special 'services' or an IEP and yet may want, need, and may, depending on the circumstances, be entitled to special 'accommodations' if she returns to a bm school. And you might need to make your case by analogy to other devices used by people with some area of deficit, for example, she may need to be allowed to use a device that would allow her to type, just as some other child might need to use glasses.

Out of curiosity, why do/does you/she not want to consider the IEP route?

We would rather not have an IEP because it has been my experience in watching friends who have children with them that they do, indeed, follow a child for their entire "school career" and that different schools have different interpretations - also, a child using special accoms in the classroom are targets for bullying (which Autumn was already targeted for and one of the reasons we pulled her out in the first place). An IEP could make it more difficult for her to gain entrance into her preferred private high schools as well.

Private schools here, who accept no state money, are not required to provide special services and most private (especially parochial) schools do not have the funding to provide special needs services - meaning that if a child cannot perform within the normal scope of a classroom, or has an IEP, that may make admission difficult/impossible. I understand *why* because I know the parochials we are considering (like most Catholic schools) are also non-profits (only charging enough in tuition to cover expenses).

One of the Catholic schools on the table is one that has special services ONLY for an extra charge, students requiring it are only accepting on a probationary basis - it also costs around 2K more per year and only if the student has very mild learning disability; the other Catholic school on the table is one with no special allowances and requires all students maintain in the classroom. Also on the table is a public school which, of course, has special services, but is also known for not having a *great* peer group in the "remedial" classes used for dyslexic students - although they have a wonderful rep in general as an arts magnet school.

An IEP would just create more headache for us... especially considering her problems are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

We would rather not have an IEP because it has been my experience in watching friends who have children with them that they do, indeed, follow a child for their entire "school career" and that different schools have different interpretations - also, a child using special accoms in the classroom are targets for bullying (which Autumn was already targeted for and one of the reasons we pulled her out in the first place). An IEP could make it more difficult for her to gain entrance into her preferred private high schools as well.

Private schools here, who accept no state money, are not required to provide special services and most private (especially parochial) schools do not have the funding to provide special needs services - meaning that if a child cannot perform within the normal scope of a classroom, or has an IEP, that may make admission difficult/impossible. I understand *why* because I know the parochials we are considering (like most Catholic schools) are also non-profits (only charging enough in tuition to cover expenses).

One of the Catholic schools on the table is one that has special services ONLY for an extra charge, students requiring it are only accepting on a probationary basis - it also costs around 2K more per year and only if the student has very mild learning disability; the other Catholic school on the table is one with no special allowances and requires all students maintain in the classroom. Also on the table is a public school which, of course, has special services, but is also known for not having a *great* peer group in the "remedial" classes used for dyslexic students - although they have a wonderful rep in general as an arts magnet school.

An IEP would just create more headache for us... especially considering her problems are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

Ah. Complicated. I'm glad the problems are relatively minor. Is it a diagnosed dyslexia or just that that is your impression?

Good thing Catholic schools seem to be past the hitting hands with rulers stage. I'd be wary of any school where there was a tendency toward bullying though. Maybe she'd thrive at a math-science magnet school.

Ah. Complicated. I'm glad the problems are relatively minor. Is it a diagnosed dyslexia or just that that is your impression?

Good thing Catholic schools seem to be past the hitting hands with rulers stage. I'd be wary of any school where there was a tendency toward bullying though. Maybe she'd thrive at a math-science magnet school.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear - the bullying was in her first and only year of public school; not the Catholic school. She only completed part of fourth grade in the public because of the bullying - we pulled her out before the year completed. Our ONLY issue with the Catholic school is their requirement a student can "keep up".

And actually, while certain districts can use corporal punishment, no Catholic schools are allowed to. Lol. So yes, very much past the hitting hands with rulers stage :D

The public school isn't a math and science magnet, it's an Arts magnet.

My mother is the one who has unofficially diagnosed the LD (former special ed teacher). We really aren't sure what benefit we could get from a formal diagnosis since we do not want an IEP.

My mother is the one who has unofficially diagnosed the LD (former special ed teacher). We really aren't sure what benefit we could get from a formal diagnosis since we do not want an IEP.

The diagnosis is helpful for special services in college. Your child would need to be tested about 10th grade. With the neuro report, your DD would be able to get extended test taking time, in-class notes, and possibly a tutor.

I'd like to mention that laptop usage and ownership is mandatory at our local private prep school. At my son's school, all high schoolers are permitted to carry a laptop. The students apply for permission to use them at the beginning of the school year. Middle and elementary kids are on an "as needed" basis. My child is the only child in middle and about 20 kids at the high school level that opt to use a laptop on a daily basis. My son's machine is essentially a Palm pilot with a keyboard.

A dyslexia diagnosis used to be great for using Learning Ally, formerly RFBD. The membership was free and you could download text and other books for free. They lost their federal funding, so the cost for downloads is about $100/year.

Edited by Heathermomster

The diagnosis is helpful for special services in college. Your child would need to be tested about 10th grade. With the neuro report, your DD would be able to get extended test taking time, in-class notes, and possibly a tutor.

I'd like to mention that laptop usage and ownership is mandatory at our local private prep school. At my son's school, all high schoolers are permitted to carry a laptop. The students apply for permission to use them at the beginning of the school year. Middle and elementary kids are on an "as needed" basis. My child is the only child in middle and about 20 kids at the high school level that opt to use a laptop on a daily basis. My son's machine is essentially a Palm pilot with a keyboard.

A dyslexia diagnosis used to be great for using Learning Ally, formerly RFBD. The membership was free and you could download text and other books for free. They lost their federal funding, so the cost for downloads is about $100/year.

In your experience, is a formal diagnosis necessary in the middle school years for a school that doesn't recognize or use IEPs? (like the Catholic schools)

I'm sorry I wasn't clear - the bullying was in her first and only year of public school; not the Catholic school. She only completed part of fourth grade in the public because of the bullying - we pulled her out before the year completed. Our ONLY issue with the Catholic school is their requirement a student can "keep up".

And actually, while certain districts can use corporal punishment, no Catholic schools are allowed to. Lol. So yes, very much past the hitting hands with rulers stage :D

The public school isn't a math and science magnet, it's an Arts magnet.

I was confused about where the bullying was. OTOH, I did understand that the ps is an arts school--I was just thinking that from what you describe about her, a school that was especially geared to favor math and science might be a particularly good fit. Actually, to be honest, from what you describe it seems like homeschool itself is likely the very best fit. Everything can be tailored to fit her situation.

Whether formal diagnosis of an LD would help you in middle to hs years depends a lot on what her needs are and what you want to try to achieve. It also depends on laws. There are (in US) federal laws that apply, but there are also state and local laws that may apply. A diagnosis potentially gives you something upon which to base a request, more than if you don't have such a diagnosis. An IEP can function without any diagnosis if a child qualifies for the IEP, and a diagnosis may not result in an IEP if the child does not qualify for the IEP. There is overlap, but they are not the same.

In your experience, is a formal diagnosis necessary in the middle school years for a school that doesn't recognize or use IEPs? (like the Catholic schools)

The report was absolutely necessary for my son's school. The school requested we acquire the report and provide a copy for their records. DS was tested 2nd grade and again just prior to 6th grade.

I'm going to suggest that you speak with a few schools. The private schools don't generally enroll kids like ours because quite frankly, many parents don't ask for the accommodation, and the schools don't understand how easy the accommodation may be. We approached the school with our plan of using the Alphasmart and they graciously accepted, on a semester by semester basis.

My son's accommodation affects no one detrimentally. My family supplies an all-in-one Hp printer. We offered this. The school did not make the request. My son's school printer acts as standalone unit, resting in the corner of a classroom and plugged into an power outlet. The Alphasmart is not connected to a network. After DS has happily typed away and he needs to print something, he walks over to the printer, plugs in his Alphasmart through a USB cable, presses send, and out pops his work. We supply all the ink and paper. He also comes home and prints work.

Edited by Heathermomster

I resisted testing for a number of years because I didn't want to put my ds in a box or have him give up because of some diagnosis. It was one of the best decisions we finally made for him, however. it was really a relief for him to understand himself as well. Before he just considered himself 'dumb.'

So often with obviously Dyslexic kids Dyslexia isn't the only issue. My ds had a couple that I had no idea where there even after I'd taught him myself his whole life. I'm so glad we didn't wait until high school to find out what those were because he's now getting more specific help in the meantime. I don't want to pressure him but I DO want him to have the best support possible.

I now encourage my friends toward testing at around your dd's age if they can!