Menu

My current dilemma: Bible curriculum?

Ok.

So this year we did TGS. We liked it ok, but I found it a little hollow even with the AG (we didn't do all of the things in the AG, maybe 2 things per week) and I have been thinking about getting something else instead.

So what is there? What does it entail?

And the question that keeps circling in my head: Is it necessary to have a Bible curriculum for school at all?

And the question that keeps circling in my head: Is it necessary to have a Bible curriculum for school at all?

I think the answer to this can be determined by several factors. Why do you desire to teach the Bible? What do you want your family's study of the Bible to accomplish? How important is the Bible to yours and your children's lives?

For my family, Bible is the single most important thing we do. We do strive for academic excellence in all things, but the study of the Bible is pivotal. I want my children to be grounded in the truths of God's Word, understand the God of the Old and New Testament, see God's hand throughout history, understand salvation and the story of redemption that began in the garden, and the person of Jesus all to the end that one day they will come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior and use their lives to glorify Him.

So, for us, the teaching of the Bible is not optional. Whether you call it "school" or not has no relevance to me. We begin our day with Bible after breakfast. For now we use BSGFAA, memorize Scripture, sing songs, pray together. It is my children's favorite part of the day.

How you view the Bible and your goal for teaching it will very much determine the place it's study has in your home.

:)

Ok.

So this year we did TGS. We liked it ok, but I found it a little hollow even with the AG (we didn't do all of the things in the AG, maybe 2 things per week) and I have been thinking about getting something else instead.

So what is there? What does it entail?

Are you asking if Bible should be part of your school day, or are you asking if you need a curriculum to teach Bible?

I think that for the most part, the Bible on it's own is a sufficient text to study from. For our family, Bible reading is more important than doing Bible studies. So if that's what you are asking, then no, I don't think you need a curriculum. Maybe just a reading plan (which you can probably do on your own). My kids are still very young (not even school-age yet), but we read their story Bible daily because it is important to us that they learn God's plan for salvation.

If you include the Bible in your daily school plan is something only your family can decide on, obviously :)

I do not think it is necessary...

However, if you are a box check-er and need some sort of outline to keep you accountable, then my answer changes to "yes." Or if you want to make certain to cover certain topics, skills...then maybe yes.

For me, I know just reading the Bible with my girls is sufficient. But I want them to have other Bible skills/knowledge (books of the Bible, certain memorization of verses, etc)....which --again, for me-- is a little overwhelming to keep track of on top of our other schooling. That's where having a curriculum helps.

(That said, I still haven't found a program I like....I bought BSGFAA and I didn't think it was a fit, so I have it up for sale. So I probably will be going without a curriculum after all... :tongue_smilie:)

I don't think a formal Bible curriculum is necessary, but I have a dd who actually likes workbooks. We are using the Rod and Staff Bible program for Grades 5-8. The student uses the Bible to answer the workbook questions. There are also built in vocabulary words, map work and interesting facts about life in Biblical times.

We are a Christian home (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't consider a Bible curriculum at all, lol :D ) and we are what I would consider a Christ centered home. I definitely want my kids to know the Bible, and I think that the Bible is extremely important.

I'm starting to think, however, that having a curriculum for Bible - and approaching it from that sort of academic standpoint - are not necessary, particularly in elementary grades.

DH went to Christian schools and had Bible classes his whole life. I went to public schools and didn't. I don't think that it makes that big of a difference overall.... it didn't hinder me any not to have it.

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

We use R&S Reading from grade 1 through grade 8. Grades 1 through 4 take the student all the way through the Bible. It is an excellent program.

The readers start with creation in grade 1 and increases in difficulty through the grades until its completion in grade 8. There are other Bible study units available beyond eighth grade, but grades 1 through 8 cover Genesis to Revelation.

R&S has incorporated their strong English program into the workbooks. The workbooks cover new vocabulary, some grammar, reading comprehension, and some geography.

This series, which I orginally purchased "until I figured out what we really wanted to do later" is a blessing to our family. My children's retention and understanding of what they have learned is excellent.

We are Christian and spend time teaching our children about the Bible. We do not need the curriculum because we are unable to teach it. However, what they can learn at the different grade levels because they can each take their books and complete work that challenges each of them, their knowledge and comprehension is greatly enriched by this curriculum.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the answer to this can be determined by several factors. Why do you desire to teach the Bible? What do you want your family's study of the Bible to accomplish? How important is the Bible to yours and your children's lives?

For my family, Bible is the single most important thing we do. We do strive for academic excellence in all things, but the study of the Bible is pivotal. I want my children to be grounded in the truths of God's Word, understand the God of the Old and New Testament, see God's hand throughout history, understand salvation and the story of redemption that began in the garden, and the person of Jesus all to the end that one day they will come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior and use their lives to glorify Him.

So, for us, the teaching of the Bible is not optional. Whether you call it "school" or not has no relevance to me. We begin our day with Bible after breakfast. For now we use BSGFAA, memorize Scripture, sing songs, pray together. It is my children's favorite part of the day.

How you view the Bible and your goal for teaching it will very much determine the place it's study has in your home.

:)

Nicole, I agree with everything you said! That is what the Bible is for us as well. But let me ask you, what does BSGFAA stand for? Is it appropriate for older children? I love your questions. It's so important to know why we study something. My dd and I read parts of the Bible but I feel very inadequate to explain much of it. Would BSGFAA be a solution?

Nicole, I agree with everything you said! That is what the Bible is for us as well. But let me ask you, what does BSGFAA stand for? Is it appropriate for older children? I love your questions. It's so important to know why we study something. My dd and I read parts of the Bible but I feel very inadequate to explain much of it. Would BSGFAA be a solution?

BSGFAA is Bible Study Guide for all Ages. They do have material for older children, teen and adults, but honestly I cannot say anything about them since my experience is only with the beginner pages. :)

I too recommend BSGFAA. My boys had been doing Bible separately because it was included in their classes from our main curriculum but I just kept feeling like we were never together for anything! I've recently bought BSGFAA and am planning to use that with them both. I continue to be impressed with the amount of information in BSGFAA.

BSGFAA is Bible Study Guide for all Ages. They do have material for older children, teen and adults, but honestly I cannot say anything about them since my experience is only with the beginner pages. :)

Thank you. I will look it up! :001_smile:

We use R&S Reading from grade 1 through grade 8. Grades 1 through 4 take the student all the way through the Bible. It is an excellent program.

The readers start with creation in grade 1 and increases in difficulty through the grades until its completion in grade 8. There are other Bible study units available beyond eighth grade, but grades 1 through 8 cover Genesis to Revelation.

R&S has incorporated their strong English program into the workbooks. The workbooks cover new vocabulary, some grammar, reading comprehension, and some geography.

This series, which I orginally purchased "until I figured out what we really wanted to do later" is a blessing to our family. My children's retention and understanding of what they have learned is excellent.

We are Christian and spend time teaching our children about the Bible. We do not need the curriculum because we are unable to teach it. However, what they can learn at the different grade levels because they can each take their books and complete work that challenges each of them, their knowledge and comprehension is greatly enriched by this curriculum.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would love some clarification on the curriculum mentioned above. I went to this website which carries R&S material. Is this the R&S Readers people use for Bible? If so, which books do you recommend ordering?

Thanks!

I'm using BSGFAA with my boys. We're using the beginner and intermediate pages. I don't do any of the other stuff - just use the pages. It includes the daily reading, some memory work, map work, review questions, and reinforcement of the story learned for that day. My kids really enjoy it, it's easy to do, and the material is excellent. I did buy the teacher guide for it, but I found that it cluttered things and made it harder for me to use the curriculum. So now I just use the student pages, and it is going great.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would love some clarification on the curriculum mentioned above. I went to this website which carries R&S material. Is this the R&S Readers people use for Bible? If so, which books do you recommend ordering?

Thanks!

Yes, this is it. I pm'd you.

We are a Christian home (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't consider a Bible curriculum at all, lol :D ) and we are what I would consider a Christ centered home. I definitely want my kids to know the Bible, and I think that the Bible is extremely important.

I'm starting to think, however, that having a curriculum for Bible - and approaching it from that sort of academic standpoint - are not necessary, particularly in elementary grades.

DH went to Christian schools and had Bible classes his whole life. I went to public schools and didn't. I don't think that it makes that big of a difference overall.... it didn't hinder me any not to have it.

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

I tend to agree with you, and have done different things each year. I do want my kids to study the Bible and to know it academically which is different IMO than what they get at Sunday School and children's church. But I haven't always felt we needed a curric to do so. We did Rod and Staff 1st grade reading/Bible for 1st with each of them. It went along perfectly with the year we were doing SOTW1 too. The next year one of my dds had a Bible class at co-op once a week so with Sun. school and that class I felt it was enough. At home we did do the Rod and Staff preschool Bible stories to read and color coloring books that year off and on. This past year I had my dd9 read through a good children's study Bible NT this year. It has very good archeological notes and such. After that, we did an Advent study at home. And in the spring we worked through a daily devotions book (not academic I know..) from our church. For me this was enough Bible. But my 7 yr old actually asked me for more for next year. So we are going to try out MP's Christian Studies. We will do it mostly orally and do the map work I am sure.

So different years different needs. I don't think it is necessary to have a full curriculum as part of school all of the time for elem and middle. For high school mine will probably study theology as an elective.

I do want my kids to study the Bible and to know it academically which is different IMO than what they get at Sunday School and children's church.

:iagree:

Our church's children's program is really good with the application side. And we have many good conversations as well. DH has been reading the Children's Story Bible in the mornings for about 2 years and they are going through it for the 3rd time. I think it's time to teach them how to read the Bible for themselves. Next year we will be using Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History. (You can preview it at Amazon here.) It is simply lists of inductive-type questions for 196 passages in the Old Testament that give the main parts of Israel's history. I plan for us to read the passage together and go through the questions orally at first, hopefully having the kids eventually read the passage silently and come together to discuss the questions. I also plan to include map work and a timeline as well, either homemade or purchased. BTW, you can purchase the guide as a PDF for $8 from Greenleaf Press (www.greenleafpress.com) We will probably use this for two years and move on to the New Testament after that.

HTH!

I'm using BSGFAA with my boys. We're using the beginner and intermediate pages. I don't do any of the other stuff - just use the pages. It includes the daily reading, some memory work, map work, review questions, and reinforcement of the story learned for that day. My kids really enjoy it, it's easy to do, and the material is excellent. I did buy the teacher guide for it, but I found that it cluttered things and made it harder for me to use the curriculum. So now I just use the student pages, and it is going great.

Could you clarify what you mean by the teacher guide "cluttered things and made it harder for me to use the curriculum"?

Memoria Press.

We really dont' have time in our schedule for another intense, time consuming subject. So I am not sure how this is going to work out. ButI really like MP materials that I have used. And I figure if it at least gives us a schedule of Bible reading, memory verse, and mapwork that is enough. I won't have my dds do the workbook (I don't think anyway) but we will use it for discussion questions. I think it will give me more to think about and point out to them than my just reading to them.

That is the plan as of now. Ask me in Sept. how it is working out :)