Menu

My son is a good pencil artist ....

He specializes in drawing people / cartoons / characters. He'd like to look in to being a concept/design artist where he'd come up with drawings for people who have an idea they want to pursue along these lines but who can't draw well.

Um, I have no idea where to begin in pointing him in some direction. Is this something you get a bachelor's degree for? Are there different kinds of schools for this type of art, uh, thing? Gosh, any advice/info. would be appreciated.

Signed,

The Mom {who doesn't have an artistic bone in her body}

Does he draw comic art? Take a look at the Center for Cartoon Studies. Does he create logos and other abstract art on the computer? Many colleges offer graphic design degrees. Does he create characters and backgrounds on the computer? He might enjoy being a game artist- google Full Sail University. (Both of these are expensive.) If he's good enough, he can freelance for companies, comic writers, etc. Actually, that would be a good way to develop his portfolio.

Good luck!

I would plan for a tour to the Art Insitute of Seattle. Before he goes he should start working on developing a portfolio.

Here is a the site of a friend I went to highschool with. http://thefontanastudios.com/ If memory serves his younger brother (another talented artist in his own right) went to AIof S.

Art based careers are difficult, but the benefit in higher education (even a year at a time) is in connections.

Even with his main medium being pencil, if he goes to school and comes into contact with the variety of tools (right now I am thinking computer based), a whole different artistic world could open up.

Edited: I might also take a look at Seattle Central Community College. It might me a good jumping off point and back when I was attending it was a decent Arts and Sciences school. Again, if memory serves me, Blaine did the same program I did dual credit at SCCC.

Edited by simka2

He specializes in drawing people / cartoons / characters. He'd like to look in to being a concept/design artist where he'd come up with drawings for people who have an idea they want to pursue along these lines but who can't draw well.

Um, I have no idea where to begin in pointing him in some direction. Is this something you get a bachelor's degree for? Are there different kinds of schools for this type of art, uh, thing? Gosh, any advice/info. would be appreciated.

Signed,

The Mom {who doesn't have an artistic bone in her body}

There are a number of really good options for artistic, creative people. I went to art school for four years at a liberal arts university and graduated with a BFA in Art with a concentration in painting. Fine arts, illustration, graphic design, are all majors that one can pursue at a number of great colleges and universities with both associates and bachelor degree programs. The BFA is a concentrated degree while a BA in Art or BS in Art include more in-depth study of other subjects in combination with art. There are art programs within universities, and art programs in schools that are strictly for the study of art - some of which partner together with local universities to offer academic degrees rather than certificates.

With these degrees, people become working studio artists, art teachers and professors, commercial artists and illustrators, and then there are the computer based arts that are growing in bounds with careers in graphic design for print, ePublishing, game design, web design, etc. Illustrators and commercial artists can work for advertising or design firms, publishing companies, newspapers or even companies like Hallmark for greeting cards. They can also be self employed cartoonists, illustrators or commerical artists and designers. Art majors can also be found in art related fields such as museum curators, gallery owners and managers, art supply store owners, etc. (Side note: I worked for a corporate bank after graduating art school and learned that creative people are highly valued in business. I didn't stay there at the bank forever, but I did appreciate knowing this and experiencing validation for my chosen field.)

All of these great possibilities are rooted in the foundations of drawing and design. Your ds's love for drawing could lead to many possibilities. College programs begin with these very traditional arts, building upon them and then allowing a person to branch off into their specialty area. In any good art program a student has the opportunity to experiment and learn about a number of mediums and techniques before settling on their own methods of choice. Some schools lean toward specific types of art making and philosophies, while others offer a lot of diversity within the arts. Viewing student work would be strongly advised, as that indicates what a program is all about. I'd recommend starting in your own community, state and region and see what is out there, then start searching on the Internet for specialty schools and programs on a national level.

If your son takes local classes at the community level prior to going on to higher education, he could learn so much. As he continues to draw, he should keep a portfolio of his best work. This can be a physical folder with turning pages and/or an electronic portfolio with JPEG images. Whenever artists submit samples of work for college entrance or art competitions, the electronic version is what is expected.

Maybe I've shared more than you asked for. Sorry, but I'm quite passionate about art and I know for a fact that kids that are gifted in this area need to be nurtured, encouraged and guided in the right direction rather than persuaded to get a "real" job where they can make a living. That is one of the reasons I love my job as an art teacher because I can help create a better understanding by speaking truth into the lives of kids and parents. Our culture is beginning to open up and change, but there are still too many people with closed minds that under value the arts and their important role in society. I hope that your ds gets lots of encouragement and support as he explores options for his future. It will be a joy for you to watch him bloom and grow.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda-- thank you for sharing your post with us. My dd13 loves to draw and paint and is very talented. But she also has other academic strengths. I am not sure what her future holds. I loved the fact that an artist was employed by a bank! It gave me hope that she may be able to combine her strengths into one career!

Lucinda-- thank you for sharing your post with us. My dd13 loves to draw and paint and is very talented. But she also has other academic strengths. I am not sure what her future holds. I loved the fact that an artist was employed by a bank! It gave me hope that she may be able to combine her strengths into one career!

Oh please believe me, I did work in a corporate bank setting and made a living, but I was miserable. I was good at what I did, but I was withering in my soul. I didn't find happiness in my career until I went into graphic design and then finally art instruction. I would never, never, never recommend that an artist work for a bank unless they absolutely had to. People who are artistic and creative should seek careers in their area of specialty or something related, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Please encourage your dd to be the person God created her to be, not what someone else thinks is more "practical". If you love the work you do, whatever that may be, you will succeed.

Blessings,

Lucinda