Menu

AAS for 8 year old?

Just Kate

Ds8 reads on a second grade level, but has terrible spelling. We have never done a formal spelling program, so I was looking at AAS for next year. I know that we will likely go through level 1 quickly, but how many levels should I anticipate that we will complete in the first year (his third grade year)? Just trying to budget!

I am doing AAS with my son in 3rd grade and we started in Nov. He is on level 2 but will be going onto level 3 within a month or two- and we will keep plugging away into the summer. I am taking some time to really make sure he is applying what he is learning. Level 1 was fairly quick but we did learn a few important rules and took our time through those ones and same with level 2. So I would anticipate up to 3 levels, just depends on how well your son masters the rules and applies them! :001_smile:

It is DEFINITELY worth it! I just started my 9 yo on it a couple weeks ago and we are almost done with Level 1. We have been doing two steps a day. I did give him a week to learn the phonograms first. With Level 2, I think we will stop doing double time and take it a lesson a day. We absolutely love the tiles (we bought a big magnetic white board at Costco) and the cards. Everything is cemented in and we can understand (as best you can with English) the rules and reasons for why things work. I have worked with my dd 11 into Level 3 since August. She has dysgraphia and the program has greatly improved her spelling and confidence. I would say this is "the one!"

It is DEFINITELY worth it! I just started my 9 yo on it a couple weeks ago and we are almost done with Level 1. We have been doing two steps a day. I did give him a week to learn the phonograms first. With Level 2, I think we will stop doing double time and take it a lesson a day. We absolutely love the tiles (we bought a big magnetic white board at Costco) and the cards. Everything is cemented in and we can understand (as best you can with English) the rules and reasons for why things work. I have worked with my dd 11 into Level 3 since August. She has dysgraphia and the program has greatly improved her spelling and confidence. I would say this is "the one!"

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me exactly what I would need to order? I see there are kits and levels and...HELP!!!

I have the Basic Interactive Spelling Kit. You only need to buy this ONCE. I wish I had the deluxe, but it isn't necessary. If you get the Basic, you need an index card holder. I highly recommend a magnetic white board to store all of your magnetic tiles on so you don't have to "set up" every day.

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/spelling-interactive-kits/

Then, you need to order the books (Teacher's Manual) and cards (Student Packet). They come as a set and you just order each level as you need it. You can get free shipping from companies like Sonlight so look around. If you have specific questions, All About Spelling has a great website with many great articles and wonderful customer service.

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-spelling-level-1-materials/

I agree with pp. One of my kids breezes through and remembers all the cards and rules. The older one needs more time on each level and to go a little slower. That is what is great about AAS is the ability to tailor to each kid.

Edited by lillehei

I planned we'd do two levels this year (7yo 2nd grader) and we're now in AAS3. You'll definitely be able to do two levels, maybe three, maybe even four....I'd say plan three, then if you don't get to the third level, you have extra money for next year!

I'd plan for 3 levels. In fact, if budgeting is a concern I wouldn't worry about getting level 4 right now. My dd is almost 9, at the end of grade 3, and we will only be starting level 4 in the next couple of weeks. We also got started on the program later and I just haven't worried about whipping through it. Even by the end of level 3 you'll be seeing huge improvements and your ds' spelling abilities will be sufficient for his age, imo.

I know it's an expensive program but very, very little of it is consummable so you can easily resell or use it again! I didn't want to like this program - I'm a natural speller and figured that my kids would be too because of the amount of reading they do but it wasn't working out that way. I'm a convert to AAS now - it's a wonderful, wonderful program.

I started my kids at ages 9 & 11. The oldest did 1, 2, and most of 3. The youngest did 1, 2, and started 3. After that, it's been more like 1.25-1.5 levels per year, so they do slow down once they get farther in. This is the ONLY thing that has worked for my kids, and it completely turned around writing (and even reading!) for them. It teaches to mastery and allows us to do as much review as we need on just the concepts that need it. HTH as you decide what to do. Merry :-)

We're the exception to completing a few levels (books) in a year.

My suggestion would be to take as long as your 8 year old needs with the rules/concepts being taught in each book, only moving forward when he's steady enough with the rules for that level.

(Review is continual with the cards system so they don't lose what they've gained in a previous book.)

With one of our dc, it took us *ages* (think 12 months!!!!!) to complete one book.

If you're interested to read more - here's our post on that, including the dancing- happy- mother 2012 update.

Edited by tuesdayschild

You'll need to go at a pace your child can handle. Once a step is mostly mastered, you can go on to the next one. My 2nd grader, who is a natural speller, is just into level 5; we started level 1 at the beginning of 1st grade and do spelling about 3 times per week. We do all of the dictation sentences. Now, it will look completely different for my upcoming 1st grader. His spelling is awful.

Okay, I feel like an AAS slacker. I've gone through 1 level/year - but we always end up taking a lot of unplanned breaks - seems like we have a new baby/are moving every year! We started in 2nd and did level 1, just finishing up level 2 for 3rd!

It is a totally awesome program though :).

i would buy levels 1 & 2 for sure, and plan on using level 3 too. your son will most like fly through level one in a few weeks, and level 2 should move fairly quickly too. having said that though, stay at his pace and take as long as he needs. as for price, buy used and it will save you some money. i agree that it is a very expensive program.

Okay, I feel like an AAS slacker. I've gone through 1 level/year - but we always end up taking a lot of unplanned breaks - seems like we have a new baby/are moving every year! We started in 2nd and did level 1, just finishing up level 2 for 3rd!

It is a totally awesome program though :).

no. you're not a slacker. my son is only in book 2. we started it in november and we'll use it til our school year ends in may. i'm fine with that. it's not a race:)

It is a bit of $ to get started but it has been soooooo worth it for my ds. It's already greatly improved his spelling and it's helping with his reading. We'll finish level 2 for 2nd grade (this year). I plan to have 3 and 4 for next year. If we need more I'll worry about it then.

To get started you need level 1 and the basic interactive kit (you could just do the tiles, but the rest is worth it). I highly recommend a 3'x2' magnetic whiteboard. I bought a smaller one first and it quickly became a pain to use. The 3'x2' is perfect, $20 at WM, mounted with $4 Command Strips. We use for spelling, math, memory work and more. I'm sure it'll get years of use.

I'll have to admit. I remember when AAS came out and I looked at it, and looked at it, and looked at it, but never bought it due to the price.

Recently I won the Deluxe package and 1st level and I can say without a doubt I wished I had caved in and bought it a long time ago.

I am extremely happy with the program and plan to use it with my other daughters in their various stages. My oldest , 14, is a terrible speller. So she is going to need it. My 8yr old when she comes home from school, loves it and needs it , though she spells she doesn't know why she does what she does, and my 12 yr old joins in even though she's a really good speller.

I've had it for about a month and we're finishing up lesson 12 with my 5 yr old. I see us getting to lesson 14 rather quickly this week. My 5yr old was asking to do it today and we never got to it because it was a busy day for me. But I do plan on letting her finish up her lesson tomorrow. I'm thinking I'm going to need to get Level 2 for her really soon here. I'm thinking for this coming year we'll be going through at least level 2 and level 3 as she's picking it up really quickly.

And like everyone has said. Its non consumable. You can use it for all your other children that come along , or resell it at a good price because it seems to hold its resale value.

What you'll need is: At least the basic kit, the teacher manual and student packet. And I do like their box. I know that some people buy their own index boxes , but the cards slide and slip all over the place. The cards are held great in their AAS Review box.

Granted the price is a bit steep for a spelling program. Its totally worth it in my opinion and we'll be sticking with it through the whole series.

My 2nd grader started in Aug and we are about half-way through level 4. She's reading closer to a 4th, maybe 5th gr level though and I think that's partly why she's gone through it so fast. She's really starting to struggle now so we've slowed it down a lot. We got the basic kit with the letter tiles, teacher manual/student kit combo for each level, a roll of sticky magnet from the craft store, a not-quite big enough magnetic board (yeah, you really do need the big size) and I ended up getting the card box shortly after starting. Otherwise it's just basic stuff like pencils, spiral notebook and reward stickers.