Menu

How much time do you spend on reading/Literature each day?

brill123

Hi all,

I would like to know how much time do you guys spend on reading/Literature each day including oral narrations?30 minutes or more?

Secondly,if kidz are behind in reading ,can we use reading books lists of grade 2 in grade 3?or is there any site for behind readers for grades 3,4 and 5?

How to check novel titles levels on Lexile.com?

I saw on lexile.com that reader measure for grade 2 is 140 L to 500 L?What L means here?

Hope you all will guide me........

We spend about an hour a day reading literature. We usually have at least 2-3 books going at once. We do one during circle time, one at lunch and one at bedtime. They can be chapter books or collections of stories.

I don't think you can be "behind" in literature. If there are some books that you feel like your kids need to have read, then by all means, read those! For 3-5th (I think that was what you said), the Narnia series is excellent!

During school time, the kids reading alone and me reading aloud Literature, we probably spend about an hour each day. I'm sorry I can't help you with the reading level stuff as I've never paid attention to that myself.

I would say it only makes sense to have kids read alone at their level and even below to build confidence and fluency. I would read aloud at their level and above to help with gaining vocabulary, interest, grammar, etc.

Not sure if you mean just literature or all reading so I'll include both. For my grammar stage students I read aloud from classical literature for about an hour a day and then I do an historical fiction or biography read aloud for about 30 minutes. My 3rd grader also reads from her historical fiction\biography for 30 minutes and science reading, which could include biographies, non-fiction, or science based fiction (like Seed-Babies by Margaret Worley) for about 30 minutes on alternating days. We don't do oral narration for every reading so dd spends maybe 10 minutes giving a narration or summary from a couple of the books. She also reads for 30 minutes from literature that is appropriate for her reading level. So, total per day on reading and literature would be a little over 2 hours.

As far as reading level I choose reading material based on my dc's ability to read and comprehend...it doesn't often match up with their grade level. I'm not familiar with Lexile. Hopefully someone who is will be able to chime in.

Enjoyment reading (meaning not school related stuff) is about an hour to 2 hours a day. We do lots of picture books during the day so we can engage my younger kids, and we do a longer chapter book at night which is more for my 5 year old.

We don't differentiate between enjoyment read alouds and school read alouds.

Right now between myself and my dh we read aloud on average 20 to 25 hours a week.

My eldest reads to himself about 2 hours a week.

Youngest is still a very beginner reader and may reads aloud with my assistance about 20 minutes a week.

In a typical day:

My dd9 has 30 min scheduled for assigned silent reading. I tell her what to read in this period. This is usually related to something we are studying like science, history, poetry, even art books, or government books. She doesn't have to give narrations very often on this. But if I want her to, she will do it in this period, instead of the reading time.

Then I read aloud after lunch. This is usually about 30 minutes. This is usually from a chapter book purely for fun. We have read a couple of Little House books this year and a large collection of King Arthur stories and several Bible chapters at different times. No narrations here. We discuss it as we go, and I will ask questions about yesterday's reading before I start to make sure everyone is remembering where we are.

Both children have scheduled an hour of silent reading whatever they want in a day. My dd9 regularly does this. To be honest, my 7 yr old usually doesn't. She does better with books on C.D. at this time. Both tell me informally about things they read, so nothing formal is required.

3 days a week (2 for history, 1 for science) I spend 30min to an hour reading aloud for those subjects in the afternoon. They do narrations at this time. Written for the older. The younger dictates to me, and then copies in to her own writing.

DD7 usually reads to me about 15-20 min every evening. Every once in awhile I have her do a written narration on a book she has enjoyed. She is starting to move into chapter books and is not as comfortable a reader as my older. So I do have her tell me about each chapter she reads on her own.

I read to them again in the evenings 30 min or so. These are usually shorter books. Sometimes related to something we are studying, sometimes not. I rarely do the long read alouds at this time. I save those for lunch.

I read aloud to both girls at bedtime, 30-45 min, our family read aloud. I read aloud another 30-45 min to dd during the day, our literature book, which we discuss as well. She reads to herself ~ 1 hour / day, often an "assigned" book - a historical fiction I think she will enjoy, or a really good Newberry, or something I think she ought to be exposed to but wouldn't necessarily pick up herself. She also reads a lot about topics she is interested in - horses and puberty, at the moment :D.

We also read with history or science - often I read aloud, sometimes she reads to herself, and that is probably about another 30-60 min per day.

My kids spend at least two hours a day reading, usually more like three. They read for an hour in a book assigned by me for school and they read from bed time to lights out time (which is an hour) almost every night. Additionally, they read for pleasure throughout the day, picking up various books they are in the middle of and reading for a while. Some days this adds up to a lot of reading and some days none at all. I also read to them sporadically. Every now and then they disappear and I find my older daughter reading to her sister (who is a fluent reader). They will do this for hours at a time if they are really engrossed in a book.

This doesn't count any reading they do for history or reading about their interests online.

ThreeBlessings,does your child read alone 30 minutes daily?and you read aloud literature also 30 minutes daily including oral narration?

Kindly clear me this...................

I don't time it, but that's about average time spent I'd say. I don't require oral narration from my eldest and only require oral narration from my 10 yr old ds for his read alone. We do use Lit guides for some of the books, with written questions and graphic organizers to fill in.

I also read aloud a chapter from Story of the World for History most days and I read picture books and/or fairy tales to my youngest every day too. I probably read to my youngest for 30-60 minutes a day but I don't consider that school time.

The big kids also read alone to themselves for enjoyment at least an hour most days.

My dd reads about 20 mins at school, 30-60min after school, I read aloud 20-30min at bedtime and then she reads with a nightlight for another 30min or so. Since we've allowed her to stay up a little later reading she's really hit her reading stride and has become a bookworm.

I use the Guided reading levels for her. Books are ranked by letter. I find the lexile numbers to be a bit inaccurate as far as reading comprehension difficulty. I think they only consider sentence length and word variety? Anyway, I usually use scholastics site for book suggestion by level or just google guided reading list. I wouldn't even think of classifying by grade. Just compare what they can read easily with the guided reading levels and go from there. I always try to push dd just a little, rather than let her only read books that she can read without any effort

This website will let you see AR levels. This is the program our public school uses. The website is free and you can look up any book. Lots and lots of elementary books are AR rated though not all. Look at the BL level. The first number is the grade and the number after the dot is the month in that grade. So a 4.3 would be the grade level a child should be reading at the 3rd month of 4th grade. The AR points is a reflection of how long the book will be. A book worth .5 point could be easily read in one sitting. A book worth 4 points is going to take longer, etc.

Now, I don't believe any system is the end all be all of what I want my children to read, but I have a child who doesn't love to read and gets "stressed" out about lots of words on the pages and lots of pages in the chapter. This system helps me to evaluate a book if I can't see a sample on Amazon before I purchase or request from the library.

Hope this is helpful!