Menu

What should a 5th grader do next, after Lively Latin 1?

I have looked through (numerous!) other threads on this topic, but can't find anything that addresses our specific situation:

DD9 will finish Lively Latin 1 soon, and I'm looking for what Latin program to use in 5th grade to follow LL1. She is an enthusiastic Latin and LA student, mildly accelerated, and with a strong desire to learn to speak and read Latin. I'm studying Latin along with her (for the first time).

Lively Latin 2 would be an ok answer but it's not a no-brainer: I would love input from anyone who has finished LL1. What did you use next? Why?

More data on our scenario, if that helps:

-DD has enjoyed LL1 very much. She loves the history. I like the derivations/word power section, although now that we use MCT that is covered in our English program

-My major criticism of LL1 is that there is too much of a disconnect between introducing chants and explaining what they are for - it has been tough for dd to link the memorized chants to the grammatical constructions. She has succeeded, but I think it was needlessly confusing, I would prefer an introduction of the grammatical construction along with an explanation of its use.

-I would like to have her start reading/translating more, I think she has a solid rudimentary understanding of the grammar and would like to add reading/translating, more than is found in LL1. I don't know how LL2 is for this. I know I could accomplish this by adding something - a reading immersion based program? Which one? Or just reading some fun books? Like what?

-The goal is to be prepared, at some point between 7-9th grades, to start a solid high school latin curiculum (henle? or wheelock? I haven't researched this deeply yet . . .)

-We've used classical pronunciation so far, and I prefer a mainly secular program, although I am fine with readings/translations of the bible. I guess the point is we are heading more toward a goal of being able to read Cicero, not Thomas Aquinas, and we aren't looking for "Church Latin" specifically.

Ok, that is all I can think of that might be relevant - thanks in advance for your advice!

She's on the cusp of being the right age for Latin Prep. I usually recommend it for age 10 and up, but she's had a bit of preparation. LP has derivations and tons of translation, but not much history. There are samples here - come back to me for supplier information if you are interested.

Laura

She's on the cusp of being the right age for Latin Prep. I usually recommend it for age 10 and up, but she's had a bit of preparation. LP has derivations and tons of translation, but not much history. There are samples here - come back to me for supplier information if you are interested.

Laura

Latin Prep is a big step up grammar-wise, but the vocabulary work in LL BB1 will make the transition smoother as there is substantial overlap.

My DD10 is in 5th. We went from LL1 to LL2. There is more translating in 2.

I have issues with the disconnect as well. It's one reason I sometimes question staying with Lively Latin. We've added Looking at Latin to help with that a bit.

My daughter enjoys the history and picture study of Lively Latin, which is one reason we've continued with it. I plan to use Wheelock's when we finish 2.

This is working for us, but I think other programs would have worked too--perhaps better. Who knows? :confused:

She's enjoying LL 2 and making progress, but the grass is always greener on the other side. ;)

This is working for us, but I think other programs would have worked too--perhaps better. Who knows? :confused:

She's enjoying LL 2 and making progress, but the grass is always greener on the other side. ;)

Ain't that the truth!! ;) That's why I want to beat this subject to death now, before I decide, so I don't spend the next year second-guessing my choice.

Laura

This has definitely been the most-suggested option, between this post, the other, and pms. It looks really good. What would be the next step, after Latin Prep 1, 2, 3? I'm also curious about the cost - I haven't tried to translate pounds into dollars. One of my beefs with LL2 is that $70 seems a little steep, when I have to print it out, hole punch it, and organize it myself. My printer goes through ink fast, and it's one of my biggest expenses right now.

This has definitely been the most-suggested option, between this post, the other, and pms. It looks really good. What would be the next step, after Latin Prep 1, 2, 3? I'm also curious about the cost - I haven't tried to translate pounds into dollars. One of my beefs with LL2 is that $70 seems a little steep, when I have to print it out, hole punch it, and organize it myself. My printer goes through ink fast, and it's one of my biggest expenses right now.

.... rounding off the programme with book three of So You Really Want to Learn Latin then moving on to reading classical texts.

If you are in the US, the best place to buy LP is from horriblebooks.com or (with free shipping) from bookdepository.co.uk.

Just so you know, LP ramps up fairly fast. That's why I don't normally recommend it for those younger than ten. What I did with my younger son, and what I would recommend to you, is to spread LP1 over two years, using half the text book and first work book in the first year, then the second half of the text book and the second work book in the second year.

Best wishes

Laura

.... rounding off the programme with book three of So You Really Want to Learn Latin then moving on to reading classical texts.

If you are in the US, the best place to buy LP is from horriblebooks.com or (with free shipping) from bookdepository.co.uk.

Just so you know, LP ramps up fairly fast. That's why I don't normally recommend it for those younger than ten. What I did with my younger son, and what I would recommend to you, is to spread LP1 over two years, using half the text book and first work book in the first year, then the second half of the text book and the second work book in the second year.

Best wishes

Laura

Thank you for the warning! She will be starting 5th grade, and just a couple of months away from her 10th birthday, when we begin. I will not rush through it, we will go as slow as we need to. The goal is mastery, not checking off the box!

I have looked at Latin Prep before and the plus points about it are:

1. More affordable than LfC or First Form/Second Form etc.

2. Written in a humorous way.

3. Secular.

Edited by nansk

We are doing Minimus Secundus as a placeholder since DD seems to be on the young side for Latin Prep, which is where I think we are headed next. So far we haven't encountered any grammar concepts that weren't in LL, but there is a fair amount of new vocabulary to keep her busy.

• 2 weeks later...

My 11 year old son went from LL1 to LL2. It worked great for the first 8 or so chapters but then the grammar got super confusing, perhaps because I was learning it alongside him. There were more translations in LL2 including full page ones and he THRIVED on those.

We moved over to Latin for Children as I was at a loss how to proceed. Honestly, I'm just not that pleased. I was coming online to see what else might work now for us instead!

We flew through A as a review and have been doing B this year. The grammar is explained well but boring my son to death. There isn't nearly the translation that we had in Lively Latin at all. Also, this is just us, but each week of vocabulary doesn't have much theme. We did so much better with Lively Latin and how it was grouped with similar words. They helped "hang" together in our heads somehow. This seems more disjointed. And this is totally my son, but he cannot stand how Dr. Perrin says "adjective". LOL

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for but I think it's a more translation-heavy program. We did Minimus and Secundus and he loved them and learned a ton. So obviously something more along that line would fit this particular child and his learning style better.

Curious to know what direction you end up going in...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with LL2. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to continue with it after LL1. I think I've decided on Latin Prep next, and to move through it at whatever pace works for us. We won't be ready until the fall, right about when she's turning 10, and that seems to fit with the age recommendations we've gotten.

She's really solid on all of the vocab she has learned in LL1, and because we're doing such a deep grammar program, I think she's starting to get the grammar better than she was earlier in the year, but LL just makes it a little too disjointed - I have to work too hard to connect up the grammar and the chants/memory work for her. Latin Prep looks excellent, and it pretty much answers the question of what comes "next" for the future, which is good - I don't want to keep having this same dilemna every time we finish something!

My dd did LL1 and most of 2. We then discovered Latin Alive w/DVD. She's understanding things much more. She does it all on her own. She's almost done and we will be moving on to Latin Alive 2. The dvd's are expensive, but it's worth it for us. She's beyond the point where I can help her. The dvd's are not entertaining, but they explain things very clearly. It is still cheaper than an on-line class, which I would have had to do w/o LA.

Cool! Thanks for letting me know what direction you went. I'm leaning towards Lingua Latina either by itself or with Visual Latin (which looks too easy to start but will be usable with my second son in a few years anyway). I almost went with Lingua Latina before Latin for Children but didn't... ah well, maybe we'll get it right this next year.