Menu

Talk to me about Teaching Textbooks...

NatYoung17

I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with Calvert Math for 3rd grade or switch to Teching Textbooks? I heard a lot of good things about TT, but then I also read that it's not up to grade level compared to PS...?? My dd is not exactly fond of Math and sometimes it's really hard to get through the lessons, which is why I'm considering TT, since I wouldn't be the one teaching it... but I'm just not sure...

So, tell me: what do you love about it, like about it, hate about it?

Thanks!

We love Teaching Textbooks! Math is not my oldest's favorite subject (he used to say he hated it). But, he actually likes TT. We have used TT5,TT6 and are now using TT7. It enables him to be pretty independent with math and he likes that. It is not very advanced, but I'd say it is pretty much on the same level as PS. After two tears of taking it, he scored very well on state testing.

Yeah, TT gets talked about alot. . . whether that will help or confuse you it's hard to say! ;)

I think you will hear from a lot of people who love TT, and feel that it has quite literally been the salvation of their math-averse child, and their own sanity. I honor this, and my comments aren't meant to take anything away from that, but to present an issue you might want to consider:

My very, very strong suggestion would be for you to try and figure out whether your student does better with a mastery or a spiral approach. TT is *very* spiral. It teaches a lesson, gives a couple of problems on that topic, and the rest of the exercises are on previous topics. While this works great for some kids, for us this is a horrible approach. I really prefer introducing a subject in a step-by-step, incremental way, and focusing on it until the concepts are solid. TT can be really distracting - while you are trying to learn a new concept, you are continually distracted by problems from everything that has gone before. If your student has focus/frontal lobe/attention issues, I can only imagine this could be a big problem (it would be interesting to hear from TT users whose kids have ADD or other attention issues? I'm speculating on this).

Again, whether this is a problem will depend on the learning style of you and your student. For us, it would be a major issue for the introduction/teaching of new topics. On the other hand, it is great for the review of previously taught material - and this is how we use TT, as practice & reinforcement of material previously taught incrementally and to a mastery level (we use MM for this).

Hope this offers a useful perspective . . .

We used it this year, have some lessons left. Used it on grade level. However, I'm going to Saxon 54 with the DIVE cd next year for my DD, who will be in fourth. I decided to do this because I want to continue with Saxon for sure, and just liked the set up better. We supplement with Saxon and Singapore Challenge Word Problems, so she is somewhat used to Saxon. I think TT helped my DD enjoy math learn and get some concepts down, so I was happy with it this year. When my DS is a little bit further along next year, in second grade, I may use TT3 also, to see how he does. I use Singapore for him, and JUST that, and he does well though.

We love it. I am in the middle of it (boys on lesson 50 and 55) and one son has just met his "challenge point" everything leading up to this point seemed to be review of 2nd grade work, imo.... which was good for my boys that had some gaps that needed to be filled.

It has been a Godsend when compared to the struggles and fights that we had doing MM workbooks. My boys HATED that math. I am considering changing one son to R&S Math due to issues with fact knowledge.. but I haven't fully decided. right now, I am trying to add in some supplements.

They love the independent aspect of TT, they get motivated during the bonus rounds, etc...

Things I don't like about it:

There is no Teacher Manual for you to follow along and discuss the lessons with your child. Yes, you can log in under parent portal and go through what your child has watched.. But I would prefer a summary of each lesson (what items taught, what items reviewed, etc.)Now, this may be easier if I had the workbook that came with it but we do not. I am now at the point where I feel like I need to "help" teach some of the points and I am not sure what has been taught fully and what is in the "middle" of being taught. This curriculum is spiral and teaches in steps.

There are no extra worksheets or flashcards to help supplement and reinforce. If your child needs it; you will have to make them up for find your own resource.

This is our second year homeschooling and have used Saxon Math prior to switching to TT. My 10 yr old DD is so happy with the change to TT that she actually asks to do more than one lesson a day. That is huge for her. She would always say ,"I hate math". Not any more. You can turn the buddy sound off if it is a distraction. I do agree it is not as challenging as Saxon Math but it is still better than treadding water with a program that is not working for your child. We have been moving along at a good pace and will just move to the next level as we finish the others. Hope that helps.

We used TT last year at grade level with no supplementing and my daughter scored very well on her standardized test- much improved over the previous year.

She also developed more confidence in math, a new liking for math, and became more independent in math.

I'm definitely a fan! We are using TT again this year (with Life of Fred once a week just for fun).

My very, very strong suggestion would be for you to try and figure out whether your student does better with a mastery or a spiral approach. TT is *very* spiral. It teaches a lesson, gives a couple of problems on that topic, and the rest of the exercises are on previous topics.

Hope this offers a useful perspective . . .

:iagree: We use MUS as our main math program(mastery) and TT just for fun and (fun, not boring) spiral review. :D

We use it as a supplement. I love it. My dd uses it a grade ahead. She does it independently, and she builds her confidence. My older dd asked for me to order Algebra for her because last year she did pre-algebra teaching textbooks last summer (begrudgingly) and told me she knows that is why she is getting an A in pre-algebra this year at our hybrid school. It is so much cheaper than getting a tutor like most of her classmates had to do. I really think she felt confident entering pre-algebra because she had seen it all before.

We use 5th grade and 7th grade TT. Both my daughters enjoy it very much. I have them review the questions they get wrong and ask them to explain to me why it was wrong. This way I get to see if they understood the problems. So far my daughters deliver 90's and above the practice and quiz questions. We don't use the book, unless I want to review something with them but that would require they get below a 75 and so far that hasn't happened. They seem to have a good understanding of the lessons.

We use 5th grade and 7th grade TT. Both my daughters enjoy it very much. I have them review the questions they get wrong and ask them to explain to me why it was wrong. This way I get to see if they understood the problems. So far my daughters deliver 90's and above the practice and quiz questions. We don't use the book, unless I want to review something with them but that would require they get below a 75 and so far that hasn't happened. They seem to have a good understanding of the lessons.

This is what we do as well. We are using TT3 and TT7. Both my boys have changed attitudes about math. We do not use the workbooks but I require them to show their work in a separate math notebook. Spiral math works for them because they get constant review. If I had any complaints and I do because nothing is perfect I feel there should have been more multiplication facts review. TT3 teaches multiplication, but I don't think there is a child alive that could learn their tables without supplementing. We used Timez attack with it and the two of them worked well for us.

I am one that started using TT with a math phobic child. At first, I loved it but, found he was not retaining from lesson to lesson. He was also missing some problems repeatedly in certain areas and not progressing. It just seemed like he needed more review of things like long division and not nearly as much constant review over things like angles that he got the first time.

So, this is probably that spiral vs mastery issue another poster mentioned and may not really be due to TT at all. Though it takes more work on my part and he does not like it as much, he is really now plodding along with math mammoth. I may give him a break this summer and let him go back to the TT for a bit, he really did like the format - and it is a break for me too.