Menu

If you follow CM, what do you use for history?

Runningmom80

I use Truthquest History: http://www.truthquesthistory.com/default.php. The guides give biblical commentary followed by MANY living books choices (spines and history readers). To narrow the choices, I pick selections from AO and SCM's free curriculum guide and check them off in my TQ guide and focus on them (plus a couple of TQ's 'don't miss' books and I like their movie suggestions). Just what works for us:) Gina

Next fall, with ds9 by then, I'm planning on using Christine Miller's Story of the Renaissance for the first part of our term, continuing with SOTW Early Modern, using History Odyssey Early Modern Level 1 as a guide and mapping resource. We are supplementing with some excellent living fiction, nonfiction, and biography books.

Our first two books for the year are Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper and I, Juan de Pareja. Other literature selections include Little Lord Fauntleroy and Heidi.

An eclectic mix of AO, HUFI, and SOTW. Plus LOTS of supplemental books. I tweak like a madman.

For most of my kids, the sequence will end up being a five-year cycle, one year off to study Eastern cultures and world religion and other odds'n'ends, a four-year cycle, and the last two years will be for interest-based study, civics, government, and more odds'n'ends.

ETA: We secular-ize everything. We do history in a very CM manner (narration, Book of Centuries, etc).

Edited by SuperDad

I like to think we look at history in a CM way. We use SOTW with a focus on narration. I also choose a number of go alongs from the AG, both lit and history selections and use them like a SL core.

It goes without saying that we approach History in the CM way, with narrations and the Book of Centuries :)

I also wanted to add that we're going to go faster through American History in SOTW 3 as we are covering that exclusively this year.

Edited by sagira

I use SOTW (which is pretty neutral religion-wise) and Christine Miller's Guerber books for US History.

My dc really love SOTW! My little guy has asked every.day.this.week! if we can do the next chapter in SOTW (b/c he wants to do the next pages in the activity guide:tongue_smilie:).

Thanks! I'll look into these. Most of these sound non-secular, is this true? I don't mind a little religion, but I do not want a completely religious text. I should have specified, sorry about that. I do appreciate the input. :D

Truthquest, Beautiful Feet, Heart of Dakota, and My Father's World are all Christian curriculums.

Thanks! I'll look into these. Most of these sound non-secular, is this true? I don't mind a little religion, but I do not want a completely religious text. I should have specified, sorry about that. I do appreciate the input. :D

What I'm using is not religious, and used secularly, but MOH, MFW and Truthquest are religious, I believe.