Menu

what age to start typing lessons?

Guest LifeIsSweet

I read somewhere (I think it was the WTM) that fifth grade was fine, as long as handwriting had been well established. I was going to wait until then, but I discovered Dancing Mat (BBC Schools), and ds tried it the other day for fun. I guess we're still not doing it formally, but he really liked it :)

We start once the child is solid in reading and handwriting. My dd(12) and dd(13) both learned to type around age 7 or 8 and now strongly prefer typing to handwriting (but that's a trait that runs in the family... not a result of learning to type young). Twin A is nowhere near typing yet (great reading, awful handwriting) but Twin B is near-fluent in typing now.

The local ps is supposed to teach typing in 3rd grade (whether they actually do or not is a different story).

My dd spent the summer on typing lessons last year at age 6. I wouldn't recommend starting formal lessons that early. She worked very hard and didn't get very far. She has been wanting to try again, so we will see what happens at age 7.

I learnt touch-typing after tenth grade. My 7 yo has asked for typing lessons a few times now. I think we will wait until she is 8 and then begin low-tech typing lessons (i.e. me teaching and watching, not a computer program).

ETA: Here are some resources for teaching typing, including a typing chant based on the Almena Method, and a keyboard chart.

Edited by nansk