Menu

Very bad day... and how long till CPS shows up? LONG

On the note of kids in walmart, when my DD was about 2.5 we were in Walmart and we had just set our DD in the cart when she looks up, puts on a terrified face, and says "Daddy! Please dont beat me!". I could have died right there. EVERY single person in Walmart turned to look at us. How we escaped CPS is beyond me.

Not Walmart, but we were in a school supply store when my ds was 4. He would not leave the train table, and so I picked him up and headed for the door. He began screaming, "NO, YOU'RE NOT MY MOMMY!!"

Fortunately, we were one of very few families in the store. Part of me was really, really mad, but the other part of me found it hilarious.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things:

1. If someone (a stranger?) had been in the restroom physically abusing a teen or any other kid, and no-one called the police, we'd be all up in arms that no-one did anything.

2. In the Special Ed Advocacy class that I am currently taking, the instructors suggest having kids with behavioral disorders volunteer with the police department. It gives the kids a good feeling to help, and it lets the officers get to know the kids and the family so they know the situation "next time".

I agree with this. It's unfortunate, but bypassers can't tell when a child is acting abused because of autism vs. because of being abused. I am very much for parental rights, but I might have called the cops too in that situation.

I love the idea of getting the "good neighbors" and community helpers to know the kids. It's actually a pro-parents and pro-free-range idea. The more folks are familiar with your kids' abilities and your parenting style, the less likely they are to misunderstand or overreact; and also, the safer your kids will be if anything dangerous does happen.

Not Walmart, but we were in a school supply store when my ds was 4. He would not leave the train table, and so I picked him up and headed for the door. He began screaming, "NO, YOU'RE NOT MY MOMMY!!"

Fortunately, we were one of very few families in the store. Part of me was really, really mad, but the other part of me found it hilarious.

I had a similar incident in one of the Smithsonian museums once. DS, about 18 months at the time, tripped and fell; it was relatively minor, but it scared him. I immediately picked him up to comfort him and take him out into a hallway (the museum was crowded and folks were listening to/watching footage on some screens by an exhibit), as he started screaming at the top of his lungs "I WANT MOMMY!" over and over again. This was not an unusual thing for him to do at this age when he was upset (scream he wanted me while I was holding him). I think it was his way of verbally reinforcing that he needed me at that moment. But at that moment, in the middle of a crowded museum, all I could think was how the heck I was going to explain to the police that this WAS my child!!

Then there was the time in Target when my DS was angry over something and told me he wanted to hit me. As I was explaining that wasn't ok, that was hurtful, we didn't hit, etc., he decided to broadcast very loudly "But Daddy hits you! In the face!" UH :001_huh: He's never seen either of us lay a hand on each other--it's never happened. I have no idea where he even got such a notion! We don't even spank. I was mortified!! My son is the kind who doesn't generally lash out physically, but will level you with words. My theory on this one was he was experimenting with the reaction he would get to his words.

Both times I expected some type of fall-out: an intervening onlooker, a call to the police. In both cases, I could see how the situation could easily be misconstrued. But nothing ever came of either incident.

Edited by BrookValley
misspelling

I had a similar incident in one of the Smithsonian museums once. DS, about 18 months at the time, tripped and fell; it was relatively minor, but it scared him. I immediately picked him up to comfort him and take him out into a hallway (the museum was crowded and folks were listening to/watching footage on some screens by an exhibit), as he started screaming at the top of his lungs "I WANT MOMMY!" over and over again. This was not an unusual thing for him to do at this age when he was upset (scream he wanted me while I was holding him). I think it was his way of verbally reinforcing that he needed me at that moment. But at that moment, in the middle of a crowded museum, all I could think was how the heck I was going to explain to the police that this WAS my child!!

Then there was the time in Target when my DS was angry over something and told me he wanted to hit me. As I was explaining that wasn't ok, that was hurtful, we didn't hit, etc., he decided to broadcast very loudly "But Daddy hits you! In the face!" UH :001_huh: He's never seen either of us lay a hand on each other--it's never happened. I have no idea where he even got such a notion! We don't even spank. I was mortified!! My son is the kind who doesn't generally lash out physically, but will level you with words. My theory on this one was he was experimenting with the reaction he would get to his words.

Both times I expected some type of fall-out: an intervening onlooker, a call to the police. In both cases, I could see how the situation could easily be misconstrued. But nothing ever came of either incident.

:eek:

:svengo: amazing that you lived to tell...

:lol: Okay, it could be because I'm still just 25 or because I'm having a bad day, but I think Stan Peed as a cowboy name is hilarious. My Papa was a cowboy. His father's name (no joke) was Will (iam) Drown.

It's not that I didn't laugh til I cried when my eldest came up with that, but it's just so....gauche. I love dry, sophisticated humor as well.

I'll have to share that name with the guys.

P.S. You might also enjoy the following gems: Kenny Hittum, and Will E. Shootum

My grandma used to take my mom and aunt barhopping. They'd wait hours in the car, but she'd bring out a soda and bag of chips for them every once in a while. :( Can you imagine?

My Mom and Aunt used to be holed up in a back room at the tavern my Uncle owned, back during the Depression! When they got a little older, they let them walk home at night alone.

The thought of this happening scared me when they are little because my children, esp. when young, did not look like me. Now, my genes show through a bit more. I'm sure it's a concern of parents who have adopted kids too.

ds 20 (on Monday) and I were heading to the mall so I could buy more pregnancy clothes. As I was driving there, there was so much rattling in the back end of my vehicle. I pulled over, opened the back, and saw that dh had put the stroller in the wrong way. You had to face it backwards so that it didn't rattle loudly. When I saw that AGAIN he didn't do that, I got angry, pulled it out, and mumbled beneath my breath, "I could kill him!" It's a phrase I've said many times, and it's also one I grew up with. I don't want to hear anything about it btw. I'm not saying it's right.

Anyway, we get to the store and I pulled out the stroller. I place ds in side and happily walked in, hoping to find nice spring/summer maternity clothing. As soon as we got into the store a woman came to help me. It was obvious I was shopping for myself as I was really showing at the time. I remember her saying, "May I help you find something?" Then ds anxiously blurted out rather loudly, "Mommy is going to KILL daddy!" I looked at him in horror. I had NO idea what he was talking about. Then he told me about the daddy putting the stroller in wrong so I was going to kill him.:lol::lol::lol: I explained to ds that it was just a phrase, I would never hurt daddy, etc. but the sales clerk looked so filled with fear that I decided to leave.

:lol::lol::lol:

All across America, kids as young as six, walk to and from school, alone. How is it that the "streets" are safe for children but the family car is not? I am not advocating that children should be left alone in the car for long periods of time but the quick run in to the bank, store, etc. shouldn't be considered a crime (misdemeanor).

All across America, kids as young as six, walk to and from school, alone. How is it that the "streets" are safe for children but the family car is not? I am not advocating that children should be left alone in the car for long periods of time but the quick run in to the bank, store, etc. shouldn't be considered a crime (misdemeanor).

If you are going to leave your kids in the car, then do NOT EVER leave the car running. It can make for a too tempting carjacking. I interviewed the "victim" of a carjacking/kidnapping case where the dad left his toddler asleep in the back seat (an extended cab-or whatever you call it) of his truck. He ran into the convenience store to grab a pack of cigarrettes and didn't want to wake his kid. Darwin parent of the year left the truck running and someone stole his truck with his child inside while he was gone "for just a second." (Happy ending, bad guy left the toddler in his carseat at a church safe and sound :001_smile:.) I couldn't help but think while interviewing him that I would have throttled him if he had been my husband.

I don't think the streets are "safe" for children to walk alone, at least not in the Atlanta metro area. To reinforce my paranoia, we have had police alerts about a guy approaching children who where walking alone over the past few weeks and now there is a girl missing in Cherokee County.

I thought for sure I'd get CPS called on me when dd was 3. She had been jumping on the sofa and fell off and bashed her face on the coffee table. The bruises were huge and quite dramatically purple by the next day. We were living in another state, no family or friends, and dh was working 18-20hr days. I HAD to go to the store.

So, off we went to Kmart, where dd had one of her patented, go limp while holding my hand, fall out in the floor and scream tantrums that were so common that year. This time, though, she topped it off by screaming, "YOU'RE HURTING ME!! YOU'RE HURTING ME!! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME AGAIN, MAMA!" People stopped shopping to stare, although no one said a word.

I was so flippin' :cursing: that it took every ounce of self-control I had to speak through my gritted teeth in that angry mom/demon voice, "Get.....Up.....Now!" I couldn't carry her, as I had a baby in a sling, and we had no cart, so I had to drag her out of the store.

Yeah, I expected the cops to appear at at moment for days, but they didn't. I bet those people in Kmart still talk about that horribly abusive mom they saw, though! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and for some reason, my youngest has latched onto the P.D. Eastman book Are You My Mother?. She will randomly ask me that out in public, or worse, say, "You are NOT my mother!" I'm terrified that she'll be tantruming or something and start screaming that. I make sure I always have my cell phone with pictures of her on it.