Menu

Anyone teaching programming?

cholderby

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/technology/for-an-edge-on-the-internet-computer-code-gains-a-following.html

According to the above article, programming is such a part of modern life that everyone needs to know how. As it happens, I am a programmer and now I'm wondering when to introduce programming.

What curricula is out there now?

I haven't used any of this, but these are on a list I'd made about this subject:

https://www.dreamspark.com/

The following are supposed to be easy for kids to use to learn programming and are FREE:

- ALICE

- SCRATCH - for younger kids, I think around 7-8

Both of these were recommended to me by a guy who teaches Computer Programming to kids, and I believe they were developed at a University.

Also, I remember looking at something called "ROBO".

I am a programmar too. I started the girls at age 12 with Alice and Scratch. I stress the logic heavily, as well as the syntax. Both types of thinking carry over into math and grammar structure. I see them as not only introductions for computers and the language of computers but a way to teach thinking and approach structure as a whole.

I blogged quite a number of resources. I start teaching microcomputer applications early too. I teach qwerty keyboard as well. By the time the girls reach highschool, they are exposed to document processing, spreadsheets, slideshows, etc. I do it in little bits. They tend to take on projects from their books and adapt them to something virtual.

So, to directly answer your question - now. :) You don't have to make them like us - they don't have to know .net languages and understand class objects, nor do they have to care about decompiling or relational databases. They just need to not be afraid and feel as if they can take it on and run without any fear or hesitation.

HTH!

According to the above article, programming is such a part of modern life that everyone needs to know how. As it happens, I am a programmer and now I'm wondering when to introduce programming.

What curricula is out there now?

Your 7 yo could definitely get started with Scratch — my DD started playing around with it at 6. Even your 4 yo might be able to get in on it. Alice is also really good, but I think Scratch is a little easier/more intuitive for younger kids.

Jackie

My 8yo wants to be a computer programmer. I don't know if that dream will become a reality for him someday, but I want to encourage his interest in programming.

He uses KidCoder (www.homeschoolprogramming.com) It's geared towards upper elementary and junior high (4th-8th I think). He loves it and is blowing through the program. I wish we would have started him last year when he first asked about it.

Melissa :)

My son has worked on Small Basic and Scratch. He LOVES Scratch, he'd do it all day long if I let him. He did check out Alice as well, but it didn't float his boat for some reason. (I think it was more making animations than games or activities.)

I will have to have him check out some of the other options you've all mentioned. He'd probably love them!!

My older 2 have self-taught scratch...though I created a few educational exercises for my own purposes. My youngest says he knows a bit. Then they really delved into NXT via First Lego League. Now ds11 is doing the high school course from Homeschool Programming...I think it's C sharp? I will get ds programming in C for the NXT once he finishes and maybe have him learn some Java next year. AOPS is offering some programming courses as well.

This is a hot topic at my house - I want DH to be in charge of it but since he has about a million other things to do we haven't gotten very far.

When you say SCRATCH do you mean this website: http://scratch.mit.edu/

Do I just create a login and let my kids go? will it explain, teach, etc.? I don't have the time or inclination to learn anything else.:tongue_smilie: (Sorry, that was just really honest!)

This is a hot topic at my house - I want DH to be in charge of it but since he has about a million other things to do we haven't gotten very far.

When you say SCRATCH do you mean this website: http://scratch.mit.edu/

Do I just create a login and let my kids go? will it explain, teach, etc.? I don't have the time or inclination to learn anything else.:tongue_smilie: (Sorry, that was just really honest!)

Yes, that's the Scratch we're talking about. It seems pretty self explanatory. DH is in charge of it here too... he has a computer engineering degree, for which I'm thankful on a daily basis!! :D

Yes, that's the Scratch we're talking about. It seems pretty self explanatory. DH is in charge of it here too... he has a computer engineering degree, for which I'm thankful on a daily basis!! :D

Can your DH be in charge of it for my house too??? hee,hee

Edited by cjgrubbs
forgot something

Ds is working in Scratch and NXT. He has asked to learn C, but I don't know where to direct him since I know exactly zero about programming. Any ideas on learning C for a younger kid?

This book used to be a standard text for learning C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

However, it may need to be updated. I usually search for "<language> tutorial", Google returns quite a few links to free tutorials.

Is there a reason for picking C vs Java (or other language)? C is powerful, but it can be tricky (when pointers get into the picture).

Edited by leeyeewah

and another site to check out would be http://www.codeacademy.com. We haven't explored this second one yet, but it was recommended to me by a trusted source.

I'm not a programmer, but I've had a couple programming classes, and I took 4 semesters of logic in college, so I understand the underlying concepts of computer language. I've completed the first course on the codeacademy site, Getting Started with Programming. It's not bad, but you will probably want something else for reference because the explanations are a little terse - they tell you JUST enough to be able to 'follow the recipe' and complete their exercises, but it's hard to understand the whys and wherefores, at least in that first course. Presumably there will be more explained later, but if your DC likes to understand what they are doing from the beginning, you'll want another reference too. It DOES look like a good site, very easy to use, and constantly being updated (it's VERY new, about 6 months, so there is still LOTS they are adding). My DD is using it and enjoying it, but it's a little frustrating to not know WHY.