Menu

homework?

The thing that hangs me up about homework is that I'm afraid I have to then turn around my "teacher" hat to the "mom" side and make sure it gets done. Still on me. :tongue_smilie:

If I start to get frustrated by lack of focus, I try to get all the "you-and-me" work done and then say something like, "As soon as you finish this math (or copywork, or notebook page, etc.) you can go play." Then I also have to mostly leave the room - go start laundry, clean something somewhere, plant the garden, to avoid getting caught in random off-topic conversations. Ideally I will drift through every 10 minutes or so to passively check progress or prod, carefully reigning in passive-agressivness. This can work at the end of the morning work period, right after lunch, or while I'm putting down the youngest for nap - although I don't usually do it more than once a day if possible.

I hear false eyelashes are not as tricky to use as they look. :D MUCH easier than covering the bruises I get banging my head onto the table after repeating "do your _____" for the umpteenth time.

I have threatened to assign stuff for homework in cases of severe dawdling- so far the threat has been enough to snap them out of their daze and get going. Actually, I think once someone had to do "homework" due to dawdling. Hasn't happened since.

Well, DD knows that if she doesn't finish her work by the time Daddy comes home, she won't get Daddy time, which makes both her and Daddy grumpy. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it gets close to the wire.

I don't assign extra work just because of dawdling. Dawdling just changes the time of day when she does the work, not the amount or whether or not I help her.

I don't assign extra work just because of dawdling. Dawdling just changes the time of day when she does the work, not the amount or whether or not I help her.

Same here -it is not unknown for my DD (and me) to be doing her schoolwork at 8pm :glare: (she's a night owl so it's not a big deal)

The only time I've threatend to give extra work is if she complains about the small assignment I have given her -if she complains about 1 page I threaten to give 2 and she ploughs right in LOL -only once have I made good on the threat - she had to do an extra page of ETC and she has never complained again :lol:

If my 4yo dawdles I tell him to go play -he is not required to do schoolwork. ;)

Homework is a regular thing here. I have a designated time that I teach each subject. Once I have taught the math lesson each child has time to work on the independent work. But I am not going to sit and wait hours if they are dawdling until I teach the next subject. The math book goes up after so long and the rest is homework. Then I move on to the next subject. It gives them a break from whatever was causing their eyes to glaze over, and it doesn't waste my time that way.

Later in the day they can sit and stare at the workbook and dawdle all they want during homework time. I go about my day and activities. But there will be no T.V. or play time or friends or after school activities if school work/homework isn't done. That is usually motivation for getting it done.

Last night dd7 carried her math homework to girl scouts. It was time for us to go. She hadn't finished it. So she had to spend the 5 minutes or so that we were there early finishing that up instead of running around with her friends before the meeting. I would do the same thing if she had public or private school the next day too.

No. Assigned homework is one of the reasons i chose to homeschool. I want to have time as a family learning together, not doing the "homework." It makes no sense to me---and I don't think it would make sense to a kid.

Also I think it would be unwise to assign school-work as a punishment for not doing schoolwork. That's a fast track for setting the association in a child's mind with learning = punishment. That's another reason I chose to homeschool---to keep my children out of the reward/punishment model of education.

Having said that, my oldest is a complainer. The best way of dealing with it so far is for me to deal with myself....am I making this clear? Am I expecting too much?

I also try to give him choices---which to do first? I listen to what he truly doesn't like about something and I try to change it with his input. I don't burden him with "sameness" everyday but try to have plenty of times for experiential learning.

My ten year old is dawdling and making me crazy!

I assign independent work.

We usually do Latin, Grammar, Science and History together. I go over writing with them individually. Then they each do math, writing and grammar exercises independently. Right now they are also doing Geography and Logic independently.

My ten year old actually works waaay better if i sit next to her, but I have stuff to get done, too and she has to learn. She sees her sister able to play and be done...hopefully it will make an impact and make her FOCUS.

Homework is a regular thing here. I have a designated time that I teach each subject. Once I have taught the math lesson each child has time to work on the independent work. But I am not going to sit and wait hours if they are dawdling until I teach the next subject. The math book goes up after so long and the rest is homework. Then I move on to the next subject. It gives them a break from whatever was causing their eyes to glaze over, and it doesn't waste my time that way.

Later in the day they can sit and stare at the workbook and dawdle all they want during homework time. I go about my day and activities. But there will be no T.V. or play time or friends or after school activities if school work/homework isn't done. That is usually motivation for getting it done.

Last night dd7 carried her math homework to girl scouts. It was time for us to go. She hadn't finished it. So she had to spend the 5 minutes or so that we were there early finishing that up instead of running around with her friends before the meeting. I would do the same thing if she had public or private school the next day too.

This is how it works in our house.

This is what I did today. They just now got outside with their friends. I think it was a reality check, usually they meet their friends as they walk home from the bus, having been outside a hour or more by then.

I don't assign work "to be homework", but it is expected that the week's work will be completed...I have specific times that I work with my boys...My two youngest do all of their work with me so it is not an issue, but my oldest has time with me and independent time without me...He must finish his work in a timely manner, so that means if he does not finish something during his assigned independent work time, he has to finish it during his free time...We usually don't have much of a problem with this because my son knows he must finish his work so he tries to get it done as soon as he can...He is given his assigned reading on Fridays for the upcoming week and his other work on Mondays...

As far as math goes, I teach the lesson and he does the worksheets during his independent time...I never sit with him while he is doing math sheets...I give him all of his math sheets for the week on Mondays...I teach the lessons during the week and he works on the sheets...If he doesn't understand something he asks me during his time with me...

This way has been working for us...I can leave the house and he will still go to the schoolroom and work on his assignments because he knows that he is responsible for the work unless we have some kind of emergency and I let him know that he has more time to get it done...It wasn't always this way, but he has come a long way since I started really holding him accountable and making his work available to him...

Well, DD knows that if she doesn't finish her work by the time Daddy comes home, she won't get Daddy time, which makes both her and Daddy grumpy. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it gets close to the wire.

That works for my DD too. My DS is much more motivated by the loss of his half hour of iPad or Xbox time.

I don't assign homework as a separate thing, but if DS doesn't get through what he's supposed to because of dawdling then yes he has to finish it in the evening with his dad. DH is a great guy, but he doesn't have a lot of patience for laziness, so it has only happened a few times this year. Now I just have to remind DS that he can always finish his work with Daddy looking over his shoulder and that almost always gets him moving.

If we don't get done because I set out to accomplish too much that day or because of outside issues then I let the work go and re-assign it to another day.

Does anyone assign homework when the dawdling makes you want to pull your eyelashes out one by one?

We have "early" work. My 7th grader can be as slow as mollases some days, but he wakes up at the crack of dawn to get on the computer before the rest of us begin our day. If he doesn't have an excellent reason for being behind then I expect him to use that time to catch up. We stop for the day at 3pm, because by then they NEED to get outside and we have so much going on in the evenings.

I don't assign homework as a separate thing, but if DS doesn't get through what he's supposed to because of dawdling then yes he has to finish it in the evening with his dad. DH is a great guy, but he doesn't have a lot of patience for laziness, so it has only happened a few times this year. Now I just have to remind DS that he can always finish his work with Daddy looking over his shoulder and that almost always gets him moving.

If we don't get done because I set out to accomplish too much that day or because of outside issues then I let the work go and re-assign it to another day.

:iagree: That sounds like my DH ;)...I also assign work the next day if I set out to accomplish too much or we have to leave the house...

This is how we do it at our house. At least we did up until baby came in December. Things are a little off routine/schedule still. Hopefully, we will be back to it soon. :)

I bake when there is severe dawdling. Like brownies or chocolate chip cookies. We live in a trailer so there is no escape from the scent. The rule is no treats until school is finished.

I rarely have a problem, and if I do it's mostly because I'm out of chocolate chips. :001_smile:

Something to also keep in mind as the kids get older. . . it seems better to ramp up to some homework in the middle school years so they don't get slammed when they hit high school, when it's somewhat inevitable that there's homework, whether they're still home schooling or not. Speaking from experience here! Some of it involves teaching them the responsibility of keeping track of what needs to be done, and when. Time management, etc. Better not to wait until 9th grade.