Menu

I have a mature 4 who I don't think will be quite ready to start K this fall, but I'd like to begin doing something more structured with her, to get both her and I into the habit of everyday schooling.

We have been doing casual phonics (a la Ruth Beechick's A Home Start in Reading, but not every day) along with lots of picture book reading and a preschool science curriculum from Elemental Science.

My daughter has learned many, but not all, of the letter sounds but still is working on blending them. She's not writing at all yet (we thought she had poor hand-eye coordination and then realized she was nearly blind in one eye, so we're working on that now!). She is sharp as a tack and loves to learn but still has a hard time sitting still for long periods of time (more than half an hour, for sure).

I've thought about doing MFW's K program, since I have heard it's maybe a little slower than your average K program, and it's not very expensive, so I wouldn't mind not using parts of it. I like that it incorporates Bible/character education, though that's not an absolute requirement for whatever we use (I can supplement that if needed). Any suggestions?

* All About Reading - Prelevel 1

* Oak Meadow Kindergarten (quite relaxed)

* Confessions of a Homeschooler - Pre-K & K4 Curriculums

* Sonlight P4/5 (or whatever it is called now)

* MFW K

* Ordinary Parents Guide to reading

*Galloping the Globe

Usually for K and before, all I really concentrate on is getting the to read (and the odd Maths lesson) we don't really "do" K around here, anything we do "do" is just phonics.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for - good phonics-based reading with hands-on, enrichment type stuff just to keep getting her exposed to ideas and thinking about things. Casual math, nothing too structured.

Thank you for ideas! Any more from anyone else? Pros and cons of different things you have done, perhaps? :)

All About Reading The prelevel is very crafty, not a complete phonemic awareness program IMO, but good as a starter, fun supplement to keep kids engage and interested. We are doing it with all 3 kids this year (eldest is joining in just because she can LOL)

Explode the Code Primers - These to me had too, too much writing for my girl, but I have heard that people just get their kids to fingertrace the pages, rather than write. An interesting option would be to get the wall chart (we have this) its a felt-y pocket wall hanger with plush items for that letter (apple for A etc). And just get the teachers guide for the primers, and not the actual books. The teachers guide has ideas etc in it.

Or there is all about reading Level 1 (so not the pre-level) you could s-l-o-w-l-y go through this.

Another option is Happy Phonics which is very game based.

Hooked on Phonics seems to be quite popular

I agree with AAR. I'd also throw in things like Starfall.com and eventually OPGTR.

Also, my young kids love the LeapFrog videos and I'm amazed at how well it ties into everything. We use their learning songs and include them in our lessons years after the fact.

And for math I would consider Miquon. It's such a fun and gentle approach. If you haven't heard of Miquon I did post some entries about it on my blog. It's been working out amazingly for us here.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for - good phonics-based reading with hands-on, enrichment type stuff just to keep getting her exposed to ideas and thinking about things. Casual math, nothing too structured.

Thank you for ideas! Any more from anyone else? Pros and cons of different things you have done, perhaps? :)

This sounds very much like MFWK!

However, we tried MFW for my 1st and it wasn't a fit for me (she loved it). For my 2nd, I will be doing LOTW when she's 4, then OPGTR + (maybe) something like FIAR for K5 (but by that point, she'll be tagging along with big sis for many subjects like art and history and science, so I won't be making as big a deal for K).

And we are watching one of those LeapFrog videos RIGHT NOW. :D They are awesome.

I agree with MEP Reception and AAR recommendations.

Before Five in a Row has a lot of good ideas also.

I saw some similar books on the $1 Scholastic sale. I ordered the books "Teaching with Patricia Palacco Books" and "Teaching with Mem Fox books."

They also have a lot of fun song and poetry books and an entire series of "Teaching _____ with Picture Books." (science, math, etc.)

ETA: Oh, and the discount code LEARNINGJAN provides an additional 30% off

Edited by besroma
Adding discount code

For my dd's K next fall, we're using the following resources:

Tanglewood's free phonics program (click on the apple under Really Reading on this page and you'll find it)

Miquon Orange Book, Family Math for Young Children (maybe MM 1A in second half of school year)

Peak with Books (a neat literature program for children)

The Easy Spanish

Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting Book A

My World and Globe

Preschooler's Busy Book (activities and crafts for kids from 3-6)

BFSU K-2 with nature study

Poetry for the Very Young

Artistic Pursuits K-3 (with ds9)

Lots of living picture books!

As you can see, fairly gentle, but still challenging.

Edited by sagira

http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides is one I really like (though I admit we haven't implemented it much). It's non-academic, and appropriate for anywhere from preschool to early elementary with appropriate academics added. I think it would be great for a kid who could use some structure but isn't quite ready for formal K academics.

My dd will be 5 this fall. I am planning to continue FIAR, OPGTR and HWT. She listens to SOTW a little but doesn't show the interest that my 6 year old son has. I was hoping to keep them together for it, so I have slowed the pace but now I feel like I should just proceed at full speed for my son. We have Rightstart Math but have only "played" with quick card games for clocks, the balance, geoboards and some beginning addition on the abacus. For fall, I want to use the lessons in order.

For my soon to be 4 year old we're doing Little Acorn Learning with The Reading Lesson (if she stays interested in it-- we've already started as she has asked to learn to read). And maybe OM kindergarten for the fall if I can justify buying the syllabus to dh. I already have the fairy tales and heart of learning books.

I'm thinking of trying MEP reception mid-year next year.