Menu

Ahoy sailors!

I just wanted to give those of you sailors who helped me last summer switch my injured swimmer son over to sailing. If he could sail every day, he would - even in the rain.:lol: He spent last summer and fall learning to sail 420's. This spring the top wish on his "to do" list came true. The sailing club created a middle school team of ten sailors. The kids are all learning to sail Lasers from a Master World Champion. My brain hurts from learning boat parts and how to rig and de-rig our charted boat. However, being "shore parent" beats the heck out of sitting on a bench at the pool any day.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and advice.

Ooooo, Lasers are FUN! Where's that envious smilie????

How wonderful for your son. Sailing is a life long sport, y'know, something he can enjoy in a tough physical way now - hauled out over the side of his boat on a wild run (did I mention I'm jealous???) - and when he's much older - tooling around with his grandkids in a nice day sailer.

Fun, fun, fun!

Glad he likes sailing. I'm shore crew for my family of sailors & have found the benefits of sailing far outweigh the hassles. All my dc sail / have sailed optimists, sunbursts, seascout cutters, p-class yachts, & starlings. Ds#2 sails 420s with his school team & dd just bought herself a kestrel trailer sailer. Dd also crews on a tall ship & ds#1 crews for a friend on his keeler. Sailing can get addictive :tongue_smilie: Enjoy :D Sailing can be a lifelong activity shared by all ages.

Blessings,

Edited by Deb in NZ

I just wanted to give those of you sailors who helped me last summer switch my injured swimmer son over to sailing. If he could sail every day, he would - even in the rain.:lol: He spent last summer and fall learning to sail 420's. This spring the top wish on his "to do" list came true. The sailing club created a middle school team of ten sailors. The kids are all learning to sail Lasers from a Master World Champion. My brain hurts from learning boat parts and how to rig and de-rig our charted boat. However, being "shore parent" beats the heck out of sitting on a bench at the pool any day.

Just wait until he comes to tell you that he wants to quit college or work so that he can sail around the world:D By the way we were this close when we found out about dd. Now it will still be a couple of years.

That is so awesome! :party:

I've been sailing and racing since I met my dh 22 years ago....it's such a great sport that one can do their entire life. We just bought my dd a Laser and can't wait to get it in the water.

I'm so glad your son has found a passion!!