Menu

Is "reax" a word/spelling that is being used today?

This has been bothering me all day. I saw on the front page of Yahoo this morning a headline that, in part, read "...Gingrich reax to Obama....". I have never seen the word "reax" before in my life. Anyone care to fill me in on when this started being used? Have you seen it before?

I did find this:

The international debate over what to do about Iraq is not only intense at the U.N., it also, as you know, dominates the editorial pages of the world's major dailies. We're going to sample some of that opinion from around the world as part of a new NBC News segment we are calling "World Reax," "reax" our short form in the news business for reaction.

—Brian Williams, "The News with Brian Williams," CNBC, March 7, 2003

And if, my secret boyfriend, Brian Williams says it's journalism shorthand, I'll believe him. :D

Other than names of certain sports equipment (ie, I think Nike makes a shoe called "Reax"), I've never seen it. I'll take a journalist's word that it's journalistic shorthand, but I'm pretty sure "shorthand" isn't intended for publication. If you were writing a case study, would you use sx, hx, etc?

This has been bothering me all day. I saw on the front page of Yahoo this morning a headline that, in part, read "...Gingrich reax to Obama....". I have never seen the word "reax" before in my life. Anyone care to fill me in on when this started being used? Have you seen it before?

I did find this:

And if, my secret boyfriend, Brian Williams says it's journalism shorthand, I'll believe him. :D

If they just mean "reacts" then I think replacing three letters with one is just lazy. But on the other hand... chopping off the end of a word and replacing it with an x isn't new... medical abbreviations do that, like dx for diagnosis and hx for history... (Just don't make me explain Rx for prescription... lol)

I seriously could not believe it when I saw it. Apparently, it's not the first time. There is a Yahoo Answers question from last fall where someone noted reax used on cnn.com. Yes, I've been googling it, because I thought I was crazy.

If I start seeing headlines that read:

Senator reax 2 ur questions 2moro

I'll scream!

Mmmmm....Brian Williams....

I'm sorry, what was the question?

:lol: Sorry for the distraction!

I have no idea about your question, but Brian Williams is MY secret boyfriend. I plan my entire day around seeing what tie he is going to wear and how it looks with his eyes. Watch yourself! :lol::lol:

I have no idea about your question, but Brian Williams is MY secret boyfriend. I plan my entire day around seeing what tie he is going to wear and how it looks with his eyes. Watch yourself! :lol::lol:

I love him more than my first secret boyfriend Tom Brokaw :lol:. I specifically remember swimming with a friend and telling her that I had to go in and watch NBC Nightly News when I was about 13! Brian Williams has got it all over Tom Brokaw. Brains and WIT! Killer combo :D.