Menu

Dark is Rising series...

These are my all-time favorite books from childhood. I think I first read them when I was about 8 or 9. I think they are fine for an 8 yr old but I also think that's a hard question to answer for someone else. There are things that I think are appropriate for kids but know very close friends don't.

There are parts that are a little scary but I think probably tame by today's standards. If your ds is really sensitive you might want to pre-read (they are great books and you might like them too) or you could read aloud to begin. If you are a Christian there are some parts that might bother you. I myself am a Christian but am obviously ok with the books...but I've heard them criticized by other Christians.

Does that help at all? Clear as mud, huh?

These are my all-time favorite books from childhood. I think I first read them when I was about 8 or 9. I think they are fine for an 8 yr old but I also think that's a hard question to answer for someone else. There are things that I think are appropriate for kids but know very close friends don't.

There are parts that are a little scary but I think probably tame by today's standards. If your ds is really sensitive you might want to pre-read (they are great books and you might like them too) or you could read aloud to begin. If you are a Christian there are some parts that might bother you. I myself am a Christian but am obviously ok with the books...but I've heard them criticized by other Christians.

Does that help at all? Clear as mud, huh?

My dd 11 just picked for her reading list. What is the content , that I should be concerned about. What makes it questionable for Christians.

Jet

This series is one of my all time favorite children's series too. I still own the books from my childhood. I have read them many, many times. The main character is 11 so that might be the target age but I think younger would be fine if they like magic and adventure and don't mind suspense and some darkness. My 9 year old isn't into them yet but I don't push it. I want him to love them so I'll just keep making it accessible and wait until he discovers it for himself.

I read a lot growing up and I can't believe I've never heard of these books or the movie (which I guess we'll skip)

I read them for the first time in about 2001, and I swear I'd never heard of them before. I found them in the children's section of the library when I was hanging around with my then-toddler. I didn't know there was a movie until that other thread mentioned it -- maybe that's why the thread stuck in my mind.