Menu

Amherst, MA Area

We may be visiting the area in a few months' time. I guess I really should google all this myself and do a search, but figured I'd ask here also.

I'm looking at Priceline hotels and the areas are divided up as follows. Which of the following are close enough to Amherst (preferably no more than about 20 minutes driving distance, preferably ;)). As you may know, with Priceline, the more zones one bids on, the better the chances.

* Northhampton - Hadley - Amherst - obviously sounds like 1st choice

* Chicopee - North Springfield Vicinity

* Springfield - West Springfield

* Holyoke

and there are lots of others, but I think that's it for now.

Thank you. :)

I wouldn't bother going outside of Northampton/Amherst. The other areas are not close. You might try South Deerfield - there are some reasonable chain hotels there. My in-laws live in Conway, so we go to Northampton and Amherst when we want to go to the "big city." ;)

Deerfield, MA might have slightly less expensive options than Amherst and North Hampton itself. The others you mentioned are outside of your 20 minute limit.

Dh and I went to school there, it's a beautiful area. If you need ideas on where to eat, what to see, etc. let me know.

Thank you all so much for your really helpful replies. I love it when everyone agrees, makes decision-making easier. :D

Sounds like a lovely area. I'm excited. We'll be visiting friends for a few days.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions for where to eat, etc. Feel free to post and share if you have time. We still have a few months to plan and so forth.

You might try South Deerfield
Deerfield, MA might have slightly less expensive options than Amherst and North Hampton itself. The others you mentioned are outside of your 20 minute limit.

How far is Deerfield to Amherst?

but will you have time to have coffee with me?;)

For you? Always. :grouphug: :)

Do you knit or crochet? Do you want to learn? If so, you CANNOT MISS WEBS!

astrid (who makes frequent trips north to Webs!)

Dd sews :). She wishes she could knit, but hasn't had the chance yet.

How far is Deerfield to Amherst?

Deerfield proper is about 30, but South Deefield is only about 20min. There's a Red Roof Inn there according to Google Maps - I think it's right next to the Yankee Candle Factory. Historic Deerfield is near in Deerfield proper.

There's some other cool stuff up there - my brother took us on a great geology field trip around that area. There's a gem/rock/fossil shop up in S. Deerfield/Sunderland that was fun. There's also dinosaur tracks down off of rte. 91, and Amherst College has a huge number of footprints and fossils in its Natural History museum, many found nearby. They have one huge fossil slab that has fossilized raindrops.

Dd sews :). She wishes she could knit, but hasn't had the chance yet.

Webs is awesome (I used to work there!) but I don't think it stocks sewing supplies, just for knitting and weaving.

Deerfield proper is about 30, but South Deefield is only about 20min. There's a Red Roof Inn there according to Google Maps - I think it's right next to the Yankee Candle Factory. Historic Deerfield is near in Deerfield proper.

There's some other cool stuff up there - my brother took us on a great geology field trip around that area. There's a gem/rock/fossil shop up in S. Deerfield/Sunderland that was fun. There's also dinosaur tracks down off of rte. 91, and Amherst College has a huge number of footprints and fossils in its Natural History museum, many found nearby. They have one huge fossil slab that has fossilized raindrops.

Webs is awesome (I used to work there!) but I don't think it stocks sewing supplies, just for knitting and weaving.

I love the dino trackway-be sure to bring chalk so you can trace the footprints and see the patterns.

Also-there is the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. And the Museum of Art and Greenhouse at Smith College are local tourist stops.

Deerfield proper is about 30, but South Deefield is only about 20min.

Thank you for this and all the other helpful info.

If you have time, I will meet you!:001_smile::grouphug:

Would love that. Yes, our time will be very limited, but I would really like that. :grouphug:

Thank you again everyone for all your very helpful info. :)