Menu

If you pieced together own Life Science for 1st grade...

could you share your resources?

I have been researching science for a while. I like RSO but DH liked the biblical tie ins with apologia and AIG. DH wanted to know what the point of homeschooling is if we just use secular stuff:tongue_smilie:But biggest hold up is that we really think all of them are too much for DD. But when we looked at Christian Liberty science-well that seems like too little. I want to do life science that isn't babyish but isn't over her head, I want Christian POV that is also no evolution & young earth, and I want easy but relevant science experiments (meaning not just for the sake of entertainment but to really increase understanding). I also like the thought of CM's nature studies but don't really know what they look like in real life.

Have any of you done this?

Even if you don't share my POV but put together your own life science curric could you help me?

Or is this already out there and I just haven't found it yet?

We've used Apologia and it's a little much for my K'er this year. I also bought some scholastic books on the $1 sale that are teaching science through books (such as Lift and Look Science, Make and Learn Penguins, Science with Favorite Picture Books, Habitat Dioramas, Remarkable Reptiles). They use real books that can usually find at my library and we read those and do a little project. There really haven't been any experiments with this though. We do some science experiments through kits or from things I find on the internet.

For nature study, we go outside a lot. My kids all have a "nature drawing book" and we try to go outside and observe something in nature and draw it in our books - I do this, too. I haven't been really good at this part like I want to, but we do some nature drawing at least once per month. My kids play outside with critters, dirt, etc a lot though. When they find an animal we look it up and learn more about it if their interest so leads.

You could look here: http://worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study

for topics covered for each grade in science and do unit studies on each of them - read books, draw pictures (find poems to write on the drawings that go along - we LOVE the book of 1,000 poems for this) go out and observe, make little projects, etc.

I haven't found the perfect science for this age. I love Apologia but I get really tired of studying one topic for a full school year!

Hi there,

My DD is in the same grade. We also struggled to find a medium, AIG is too difficult and the others were too simple. I found the best curriculum was actually ACSI Science - completely Christian.

It is a full curriculum, you can add in reading books from the library from the books they recommend for the subjects and it covers all the right stuff.

I found Grade 1 too easy for us and decided to go with Grade 2 ACSI - you can get it from Christianbook.com

This is the best Christian science program I found.

Good luck,

:001_smile:

Well...I'm piecing together my own science for first grade, but it may not meet your requirements.

I'm starting with The World God Made (from CLP). IMO, there's not much to it (it's basically a beefed up creation story) but by using a couple of science books that I already have on hand (The Complete Book of Science 1-2, Inquiry Science K-1, My Big Science Book, and Fun w/ Nature & More Fun w/ Nature) I'm stretching it out to cover a full year.

We'll probably go through the CLP book first as a stand-alone unit, then later do more in-depth units on: air, water, birds, plants, mammals/habitats, human body/5 senses (tying them back to the creation days).

I'm also including in nature walks 1-2x a month (Fun w/ Nature and More Fun w/ Nature are for that purpose).

The recommendations for kiddie encyclopedias in TWTM were perfect, IMO. :001_smile: No, it didn't have biblical tie-ins, but I'm not sure where you'd stick one while learning about the circulatory system. Maybe start with the creation story before jumping into the actual body study.

I think you are right. I am eagerly awaiting my 3rd ed copy of TWTM so I may just go straight off her recs.

Hi there,

My DD is in the same grade. We also struggled to find a medium, AIG is too difficult and the others were too simple. I found the best curriculum was actually ACSI Science - completely Christian.

It is a full curriculum, you can add in reading books from the library from the books they recommend for the subjects and it covers all the right stuff.

I found Grade 1 too easy for us and decided to go with Grade 2 ACSI - you can get it from Christianbook.com

This is the best Christian science program I found.

Good luck,

:001_smile:

I will check it out!

I don't know if has been mentioned, but TWTM has a first year life science plan all mapped out. I used it last year and it was a huge hit. It seems sort of lame, but I didn't have anything else and I was desperate. Well, for a little one who loves animals and loves science it was great. I added in stuff in the warmer weather like getting caterpillars and baby ladybugs and tadpoles.

So, if you have TWTM I highly recommend it. It was cheap, you can add stuff you know your child will like, and it got the job done.

Well...I'm piecing together my own science for first grade, but it may not meet your requirements.

I'm starting with The World God Made (from CLP). IMO, there's not much to it (it's basically a beefed up creation story) but by using a couple of science books that I already have on hand (The Complete Book of Science 1-2, Inquiry Science K-1, My Big Science Book, and Fun w/ Nature & More Fun w/ Nature) I'm stretching it out to cover a full year.

We'll probably go through the CLP book first as a stand-alone unit, then later do more in-depth units on: air, water, birds, plants, mammals/habitats, human body/5 senses (tying them back to the creation days).

I'm also including in nature walks 1-2x a month (Fun w/ Nature and More Fun w/ Nature are for that purpose).

Thanks for sharing your plans. I guess I feel like I need it already planned out for me by a 'real' scientist! Its good to know others aren't following a specific curriculum. I looked at the Fun with Nature books-love those!

I don't know if has been mentioned, but TWTM has a first year life science plan all mapped out. I used it last year and it was a huge hit. It seems sort of lame, but I didn't have anything else and I was desperate. Well, for a little one who loves animals and loves science it was great. I added in stuff in the warmer weather like getting caterpillars and baby ladybugs and tadpoles.

So, if you have TWTM I highly recommend it. It was cheap, you can add stuff you know your child will like, and it got the job done.

I read 1999 edition and ordered newest one. Its good to know someone used recs from book and it went well. Thanks!

Have you looked at Christian Kids Explore? We used Elemental Science this year and really loved it, but looking ahead for us next year to earth and space I do think I want something with more Biblical integration, so I am looking at CKE. I may try to add some videos to it but I like that it has coloring pages and a science notebook component.

Have you looked at Christian Kids Explore? We used Elemental Science this year and really loved it, but looking ahead for us next year to earth and space I do think I want something with more Biblical integration, so I am looking at CKE. I may try to add some videos to it but I like that it has coloring pages and a science notebook component.

I looked it up on Rainbow Resource and it said for grades 3+ so I passed it by. Would it be appropriate for a 1st grader?

I looked it up on Rainbow Resource and it said for grades 3+ so I passed it by. Would it be appropriate for a 1st grader?

Hmmm I hadn't noticed the age on it. I looked at the samples and they seemed fine for my rising 2nd grader. Seemed simpler than Apologia which is marketed K to 6. But maybe someone who has used it would know better ...

I think Earth and Space is a little advanced for a 1st grader, however there is a list of optional books to read that go along with each topic. It might be possible to do more of a living book curriculum and only occasionally use the worksheets. I bought the book but decided to do something else for my youngest, but he was K this year. It IS a good program, just a little advanced for him. I've read that other subjects of CKE are on a little lower level.

ETA: I don't think the samples I found online were a good representation of the whole Earth and Space book. The samples seemed easier than what it actually was. I will say that the one thing I really liked about this curriculum was that it's focus was on science, and then it tied to to the Bible instead of the reverse. I looked at many curricula that I would classify as Bible with some science thrown in. For my purposes, I wanted a science curriculum that fell in line with our beliefs. I use other things for Bible study.

Edited by mandymom

Well, I said above that I was mapping my own first grade science out...but after re-reading the science section of TWTM, I think I'm going to follow their suggestions! I have an animal-obsessed (currently) 5 yr old and I think she would like nothing better than 20 weeks spent researching and reading about animals of her choice.

The reasoning behind this approach feels sound to me, too. We'll be focusing so intently on the three Rs next year...it'll be nice to have science be relaxed and interest-led (mostly).

Ah, nothing like changing the already-laid plans.

Again.

We like to have ample time for outdoor Nature Time, in addition to our Science Read Aloud, so we have studied Life Science over two school years:

• K/Preschool: Animals + Nature Study (animal focus) + Zoo Family Membership

• 1st/Pre-K: Human Body + Biomes + Nature Study (plants/gardening focus) + Gardening + Wildflower Preserve Family Membership

Our study on animals was yearlong, as follows:

VERTEBRATES = Animals with backbones

• Unit 1: Mammals--Primates (lemurs, monkeys, apes)
  • Unit 2: Mammals--Carnivores (cats, dogs, foxes, bears, raccoons, badgers, skunks, otters, weasels)
  • Unit 3: Mammals--Burrowers (rabbits, hares, pikas, rodents, hedgehogs, shrews)
  • Unit 4: Mammals--Strange & Wonderful (platypuses, echidnas, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, opossums, aardvarks, sloths, armadillos, pangolins, anteaters, bats
  • Unit 5: Mammals--Elephants & Ungulates (elephants, tapirs, rhinos, horses, donkeys, zebras, giraffes, hippos, pigs, camels, alpacas, llamas, deer, moose, caribou, cattle, antelope, sheep)
  • Unit 6: Mammals--Aquatic Mammals (seals, sea lions, walruses, sea cows, manatees, whales, dolphins, porpoises)
  • Unit 7: Birds
  • Unit 8: Reptiles
  • Unit 9: Amphibians
  • Unit 10: Fish

INVERTEBRATES = Animals without backbones

• Unit 11: Insects
  • Unit 12: Arachnids & Myriapods
  • Unit 13: Crustaceans
  • Unit 14: Other Invertebrates (cnidarians, mollusks, worms)

We used the DK First Animals Encyclopedia as a spine, then added library books about each animal group. The DK FAE does not discuss evolution at all, but does categorize human beings with mammals and primates (shrug). We spent about 2-3 weeks on each unit, depending on how much was available at the library and how interested we were in each topic.

For 1st/Pre-K this year, we studied Human Body using this structure:

• Weeks 1 & 2: Systems & Cells
  • Weeks 3 & 4: Skeletal System
  • Weeks 5 & 6: Muscular System
  • Weeks 7 & 8: Nervous System
  • Weeks 9 & 10: Sensory System
  • Weeks 11 & 12: Digestive System
  • Weeks 13 & 14: Circulatory System
  • Weeks 15 & 16: Respiratory System
  • Weeks 17 & 18: Babies Grow Inside Mommies

We used God's Design for Life: Human Body as a read aloud spine, My Body (by Patty Carratello) for making our "wall bodies," ;) and lots of library books on each topic. The God's Design was a little dry in some places, but I think it was worth reading to the children.

For 1st/Pre-K this year, we also studied Biomes, as follows:

• Weeks 19 & 20: Introduction to Ecology
  • Weeks 21 & 22: Oceans & Estuaries
  • Weeks 23 & 24: Rivers & Lakes
  • Weeks 25 & 26: Grasslands & Tundra
  • Weeks 27 & 28: Temperate Forests
  • Weeks 29 & 30: Tropical Forests
  • Weeks 31 & 32: Mountains
  • Weeks 33 & 34: Caves
  • Weeks 35 & 36: Deserts & Poles

We used library books for read alouds, Planet Earth DVDs (pro-evolution), and Scholastic's Instant Habitat Dioramas. We also read sections of God's Design for Chemistry & Ecology: Properties of Ecosystems, but this was truly over their heads in most places. The "orange" and "red" books in God's Design are intended for 3rd & up, so they don't have Beginner sections. I still think my First Grader got something out of the readings, but my Pre-K twins were more interested in picture books on the topics. By stretching Life Science out over two years and keeping it "light," we had plenty of time to get out there and enjoy God's creation!

We plan to do the same for Earth & Space Science over the next two years: 2nd & K will be Geology + Weather/Water + Nature Study (rock/weather focus) + Science Museum Membership; 3rd & 1st will be Astronomy + Nature Study (space focus) + Planetarium Membership (or a telescope?). HTH.

Well, I said above that I was mapping my own first grade science out...but after re-reading the science section of TWTM, I think I'm going to follow their suggestions! I have an animal-obsessed (currently) 5 yr old and I think she would like nothing better than 20 weeks spent researching and reading about animals of her choice.

The reasoning behind this approach feels sound to me, too. We'll be focusing so intently on the three Rs next year...it'll be nice to have science be relaxed and interest-led (mostly).

Ah, nothing like changing the already-laid plans.

Again.

Quoting myself just to add a bit more...

Here's a link to my blog.... I have several templates/forms that I will be using with our year 1 biology notebooking pages.

We like to have ample time for outdoor Nature Time, in addition to our Science Read Aloud, so we have studied Life Science over two school years:

• K/Preschool: Animals + Nature Study (animal focus) + Zoo Family Membership

• 1st/Pre-K: Human Body + Biomes + Nature Study (plants/gardening focus) + Gardening + Wildflower Preserve Family Membership

Our study on animals was yearlong, as follows:

VERTEBRATES = Animals with backbones

• Unit 1: Mammals--Primates (lemurs, monkeys, apes)
  • Unit 2: Mammals--Carnivores (cats, dogs, foxes, bears, raccoons, badgers, skunks, otters, weasels)
  • Unit 3: Mammals--Burrowers (rabbits, hares, pikas, rodents, hedgehogs, shrews)
  • Unit 4: Mammals--Strange & Wonderful (platypuses, echidnas, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, opossums, aardvarks, sloths, armadillos, pangolins, anteaters, bats
  • Unit 5: Mammals--Elephants & Ungulates (elephants, tapirs, rhinos, horses, donkeys, zebras, giraffes, hippos, pigs, camels, alpacas, llamas, deer, moose, caribou, cattle, antelope, sheep)
  • Unit 6: Mammals--Aquatic Mammals (seals, sea lions, walruses, sea cows, manatees, whales, dolphins, porpoises)
  • Unit 7: Birds
  • Unit 8: Reptiles
  • Unit 9: Amphibians
  • Unit 10: Fish

INVERTEBRATES = Animals without backbones

• Unit 11: Insects
  • Unit 12: Arachnids & Myriapods
  • Unit 13: Crustaceans
  • Unit 14: Other Invertebrates (cnidarians, mollusks, worms)

We used the DK First Animals Encyclopedia as a spine, then added library books about each animal group. The DK FAE does not discuss evolution at all, but does categorize human beings with mammals and primates (shrug). We spent about 2-3 weeks on each unit, depending on how much was available at the library and how interested we were in each topic.

For 1st/Pre-K this year, we studied Human Body using this structure:

• Weeks 1 & 2: Systems & Cells
  • Weeks 3 & 4: Skeletal System
  • Weeks 5 & 6: Muscular System
  • Weeks 7 & 8: Nervous System
  • Weeks 9 & 10: Sensory System
  • Weeks 11 & 12: Digestive System
  • Weeks 13 & 14: Circulatory System
  • Weeks 15 & 16: Respiratory System
  • Weeks 17 & 18: Babies Grow Inside Mommies

We used God's Design for Life: Human Body as a read aloud spine, My Body (by Patty Carratello) for making our "wall bodies," ;) and lots of library books on each topic. The God's Design was a little dry in some places, but I think it was worth reading to the children.

For 1st/Pre-K this year, we also studied Biomes, as follows:

• Weeks 19 & 20: Introduction to Ecology
  • Weeks 21 & 22: Oceans & Estuaries
  • Weeks 23 & 24: Rivers & Lakes
  • Weeks 25 & 26: Grasslands & Tundra
  • Weeks 27 & 28: Temperate Forests
  • Weeks 29 & 30: Tropical Forests
  • Weeks 31 & 32: Mountains
  • Weeks 33 & 34: Caves
  • Weeks 35 & 36: Deserts & Poles

We used library books for read alouds, Planet Earth DVDs (pro-evolution), and Scholastic's Instant Habitat Dioramas. We also read sections of God's Design for Chemistry & Ecology: Properties of Ecosystems, but this was truly over their heads in most places. The "orange" and "red" books in God's Design are intended for 3rd & up, so they don't have Beginner sections. I still think my First Grader got something out of the readings, but my Pre-K twins were more interested in picture books on the topics. By stretching Life Science out over two years and keeping it "light," we had plenty of time to get out there and enjoy God's creation!

We plan to do the same for Earth & Space Science over the next two years: 2nd & K will be Geology + Weather/Water + Nature Study (rock/weather focus) + Science Museum Membership; 3rd & 1st will be Astronomy + Nature Study (space focus) + Planetarium Membership (or a telescope?). HTH.

So helpful! Thanks a million for typing all that out for me!

Hmmm I hadn't noticed the age on it. I looked at the samples and they seemed fine for my rising 2nd grader. Seemed simpler than Apologia which is marketed K to 6. But maybe someone who has used it would know better ...

CKE Earth and Space was doable but definitely leaned toward the too much side for my 2nd grader this year.