Menu

Looking for a CD of hymns

cjgrubbs

Do you want just accompaniment or do you want them sung as well?

Joni Eareckson Tada and Bobbie Wolgemuth have several CD/Book combinations. Some written for children some for adults (Hymns for a Kids Heart series). The songs in the children books are sung by children. They tend to peppy and upbeat, but are traditional tunes. I don't really use the books much, but you could read more about them at Amazon

If you're looking for just accompaniment, we like Hymns for Kith and Kin and the Listen While We Sing (Vol 1 and Vol 2). We use the Trinity Hymnal.

I haven't much used it (but own it) and think Our Hymn Writers and Their Hymns looks like an interesting book. Reformation Heritage Books carries other books about hymns, too. I only hear fabulous things about the Mr. Pipes books, but haven't read/used any yet.

That should get you started.

I am not sure quite what will fit the bill for "classic" for your goals. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has a number of outstanding CDs, but these are certainly contemporary recordings.

A Heritage of Hymns is traditional.

African American Heritage Hymnal is too.

Regarding bios/stories, 101 Hymn Stories seems a nice start; the author has another book with more stories, and there are links to similar resources on the Amazon page.

Blessings!

Do you want just accompaniment or do you want them sung as well?

Joni Eareckson Tada and Bobbie Wolgemuth have several CD/Book combinations. Some written for children some for adults (Hymns for a Kids Heart series). The songs in the children books are sung by children. They tend to peppy and upbeat, but are traditional tunes. I don't really use the books much, but you could read more about them at Amazon

I use this series for hymn study. They are well done.

Good source of traditional hymns: Bob Jones Bookstore. In fact, I would call them, tell them what you're looking for, and I'll bet they'll know just what to recommend.

There's also http://www.majestymusic.com/ and http://www.wilds.org/resources/music bookstore. You could also call them for suggestions.

And, don't forget about Amazon.com and iTunes. They have zillions of hymn compilations, and you can hear snipets of each song before you buy.