Menu

Bible/Character Study - Do you know of something like this? & note re angry children

lea1

My two sons are both 6 years old. Since they were little bitty we have been reading various children's Bibles to them. As they have gotten older, we have moved to children's Bibles that have more information on the page, more detailed information/stories and more Bible stories have been covered in each. So they really have a good feel for the various stories of the Bible.

What we really need now is a study that will help us (all of us:tongue_smilie:) work on becoming more like Christ. Something that will teach us more about what God commands of us, how to live our lives out daily in a Christ-like way, what that looks like, scripture memory, etc.

I have recently finished reading Teach Them Diligently and The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo, both very excellent books. These books are what really made me see that we were missing this part of our education. I don't really feel like I have ever had anything like this for myself either.

If you have used anything like this and really liked it, please share.

Also, if you are a Christian and are looking for answers to why your child is so angry, I highly recommend the two books I mentioned above. They have been very eye opening to dh and I both.

We use a series by Train Up a Child Publishing. Each one covers a specific character trait. There are 16 lessons. In each lesson they use stories straight out of the bible that go with that character trait. I love it that my son reads straight from the bible. There are also a few activities and memory verses.

Choosing Kindness

Choosing Humility

Choosing Obedience

Choosing Responsibility

Choosing Self-Control

Choosing Thankfulness

You can also get them at Christianbook.com (CBD). We use these and the Kids of Integrity site that 3peasinapod linked above. Lessons in Responsibility for Boys is also good and found at CBD as well.

I appreciate your recommendations for anger.

Yes. I'll have to look into these recs.

I have an "angry" daughter (nearly 6 but she's been this way since a toddler)....and I've about exhausted all of the parental guides I can find. (I purchased "Good and Angry" by Scott Turansky, but I've not gotten around to reading it yet...)

I hope you get as much out of these two books by Lou Priolo as I have. Another homeschool mom happened to mention The Heart of Anger to me one day at violin lessons. Among many other things, he covers 25 things that parents do to provoke their children to anger, which was very helpful for us. Most importantly, he provides scriptures to back up everything he says.

I believe he is a proponent of spanking, although I didn't read that chapter. We very rarely use it in our house, as I am most often not able to do this in the manner that I believe God directs. (Please, no spanking debate here. I have read the many many threads debating this and do not want this to turn into another one of those.) If you are not a believer in spanking, you can skip this part and still get a lot out of his books.

I love Lou Priolo and found the Heart of Anger to be one of the most beneficial parenting books I've ever read. Some others I enjoy that are similar in their approach:

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tripp

The Faithful Parent by Stuart Scott & Martha Peace (I haven't read this one but it comes highly recommended)

ADHD: Deceptive Diagnosis by David Tyler (Obviously this book takes a stance agains the number of ADHD diagnosis in the US. I don't want to get in a debate about that. I bought this book because there are charts in it about the behaviors associated with ADHD and potential biblical instruction and solutions for working with your child on those issues...I found that most small children exhibit the characteristics listed in the book and could use the instruction provided)

You will also find mp3's on parenting at this website. I have attended these conferences and the speakers always recommend the books by Priolo and Tripp.

http://www.nanc.org/Store/MP3

Also, these books are more on general change/sanctification but I found them benefcial personally and also for instructing dd

Paul Tripp (who is Tedd Tripp's brother) How to Change and other books. I've been to both a parenting and marriage workshop conducted by him and they were great.

I Really Want to Change, So Help me God. authors last name is MacDonald. There is another book about Attitudes which I haven't read but heard is great.

There are two pastors who teach on parenting/marriage/family that are along the same lines and very helpful. They are biblical counselors so they also have a lot of teaching resources on their websites.

Brad Bigney https://www.graceky.org/ministries

Steve Viars http://www.faithlafayette.org/resources/speakers/steve_viars

DH and I find these counseling materials to be incredibly helpful for "counseling" our 7 year old:lol:

As a bible/character study, we love Our 24 Family Ways by Clay and Sally Clarkson. They also have some amazing parenting books, and Sally has a beautiful blog and some homeschooling books. She is just wonderful. They promote gentle parenting, and have some truly wonderful ways of discipling their children.

Other authors I really love are Scott Tuansky and Joanne Miller. They have a book titled Parenting is Heart Work, and also one called Good and Angry! Which is really good. I saw them speak at our HS conference and it was SO good. Again, they really emphasize a loving *relatioship* first, and then move on to building character.

Hope those help some. :001_smile:

As a bible/character study, we love Our 24 Family Ways by Clay and Sally Clarkson. They also have some amazing parenting books, and Sally has a beautiful blog and some homeschooling books. She is just wonderful. They promote gentle parenting, and have some truly wonderful ways of discipling their children.

Other authors I really love are Scott Tuansky and Joanne Miller. They have a book titled Parenting is Heart Work, and also one called Good and Angry! Which is really good. I saw them speak at our HS conference and it was SO good. Again, they really emphasize a loving *relatioship* first, and then move on to building character.

Hope those help some. :001_smile:

We have Our 24 Family Ways as our family devotional for this coming school year. I'm really looking forward to it!

I also really admire Scott T/Joanne M's work. I have both Parenting is Heart work (love it) and Good and Angry (which I haven't had a chance to start).

I recommend both of these resources!