Menu

A couple of questions for you all....

frugalmama

If someone were to write a secular alternative to SL for History and Literature only {but perhaps include recommendations for other subjects}, would you be interested? What grade would you be most interested in? Would you prefer a downloadable DE or a print copy or both and why?

Toying with an idea with a friend - just researching for now.

I think many of us would be interested in a secular history/literature of the United States specifically. This seems to be a glaring omission in the homeschool market. Something like SOTW, focused on US history with literature studies, would sell like hotcakes if it were well done. I haven't had trouble with general world history in that sense. I'd be most interested in a middle school level that could be skewed down to include youngers. As for print vs. download, I generally prefer a printed book, but if the material was good, I'd take either.

If someone were to write a secular alternative to SL for History and Literature only {but perhaps include recommendations for other subjects}, would you be interested? What grade would you be most interested in? Would you prefer a downloadable DE or a print copy or both and why?

Toying with an idea with a friend - just researching for now.

Um...YES! We definitely need a secular history/literature program that includes myths from various cultures and explains why they are important but does not treat them as fact. What grade? Well, my dd is getting ready to go into 5th, so how about you start there? :lol: I think it would be nice to have both print and pdf versions of the TM available, with optional book bundles. Can you get right on that? :D

I think many of us would be interested in a secular history/literature of the United States specifically. This seems to be a glaring omission in the homeschool market. Something like SOTW, focused on US history with literature studies, would sell like hotcakes if it were well done. I haven't had trouble with general world history in that sense. I'd be most interested in a middle school level that could be skewed down to include youngers. As for print vs. download, I generally prefer a printed book, but if the material was good, I'd take either.

So you'd want a advanced book list and a junior book list or options then for easy combining of grades?

We're strongly thinking of doing 4th grade first, which would be US History and Geography. Followed by 5th-8th rotation of World History to present day.

Um...YES! We definitely need a secular history/literature program that includes myths from various cultures and explains why they are important but does not treat them as fact. What grade? Well, my dd is getting ready to go into 5th, so how about you start there? :lol: I think it would be nice to have both print and pdf versions of the TM available, with optional book bundles. Can you get right on that? :D

Book bundles would come from Amazon - right now we're only considering writing the lesson plans {similar to the IG's} to go with the books as it would be a very small 2 person company. But EVERYTHING will be available new on Amazon and cost will be considered in selecting books. There will be a direct link page address given in the lesson plans for a one-stop quick Amazon purchase via buttons of all the materials. This way those wanting to save on costs can easily look for used copies or on sites such as paperbackswap.

We're looking at spending several weeks on Myths and their importance in 5th grade and some in following grades as we meet new cultures.

Actually, what I want is a secular history program that isn't so Euro- western-civ centric.

I've created my own curriculum focusing entirely on the ancient Americas for DD this past year. We both have really loved it, and it is so much more interesting than the few pages that many history programs give to pre-Columbian Americas.

I'd love something similar for other regions and cultures.

I'm now working on my own curriculum for US Geography too. There are some out there, but they don't approach it like I am.

I've pretty much just realized that I'm better off creating my own stuff for history and geography. But, that's mostly because most other things are either heavily Christian or not quite what I want.

A few more questions:

1. What do you think would be a good name for a program like this?

2. Would you expect such a program to be reviewed by someone with a Master's or Doctorate in History or Education? Why or Why not?

3. Would it bother you if ONLY the lesson plans / IG's were sold - everything else was available from Amazon.com? Why or Why not? FYI a direct link to all materials on Amazon would be provided via a private page accessible from a link in the Lesson plans for easy purchase.

Actually, what I want is a secular history program that isn't so Euro- western-civ centric.

I've created my own curriculum focusing entirely on the ancient Americas for DD this past year. We both have really loved it, and it is so much more interesting than the few pages that many history programs give to pre-Columbian Americas.

I'd love something similar for other regions and cultures.

I'm now working on my own curriculum for US Geography too. There are some out there, but they don't approach it like I am.

I've pretty much just realized that I'm better off creating my own stuff for history and geography. But, that's mostly because most other things are either heavily Christian or not quite what I want.

This would not be Euro-Western Civ. Centric - that's my personal pet peeve in most history programs I've looked at. Lots of culture study with history, of all regions.

This would not be Euro-Western Civ. Centric - that's my personal pet peeve in most history programs I've looked at. Lots of culture study with history, of all regions.

Then I am quite glad that we have put off world history so far! :) I'll happily beta test it for you! Get to work!! :)

So you'd want a advanced book list and a junior book list or options then for easy combining of grades?

We're strongly thinking of doing 4th grade first, which would be US History and Geography. Followed by 5th-8th rotation of World History to present day.

Ideally, I'd like a "spine" that would be targeted at the older crowd, and book lists divided by grammar/logic stage. Quality picture books for the younger crowd and chapter books for the older. A few craft ideas for the younger crowd would be helpful as well.

Ideally, I'd like a "spine" that would be targeted at the older crowd, and book lists divided by grammar/logic stage. Quality picture books for the younger crowd and chapter books for the older. A few craft ideas for the younger crowd would be helpful as well.

:iagree: Also, a downloadable teacher's guide is fine with me. I like the idea of having links to amazon. This way unlike buying book packages, I can only buy what I don't have or what my library doesn't carry. It's so much easier to add my religious content to something secular than it is to take away content that I don't agree with. Now, get to work!:)

Kim

Downloadable/printable, and otherwise I agree with EVERYTHING already mentioned. NOT Euro-centric, aimed at middles with options for youngers. Activites/crafts/cooking stuff included that is optional is always fun, esp for adapting to youngers.

Here is my won't work silly idea for the day, lol: Maybe you could have scripture copywork or memorization, but from a different religion/culture each week, or tied in to the current study. Bible, Tripitaka, Qur'an, Book of Mormon, Confucian Classic of Rites, Book of the Dead, the Vedas, Talmud, Evangelion, the Kojiki, maybe things like Neitzsche as well. I want to learn a bit about pretty much every important religion in whatever region or historical era being studied. It has such an influence on everything the people do. Plus, I'm a rebel. :tongue_smilie:

A few more questions:

2. Would you expect such a program to be reviewed by someone with a Master's or Doctorate in History or Education? Why or Why not?

3. Would it bother you if ONLY the lesson plans / IG's were sold - everything else was available from Amazon.com? Why or Why not? FYI a direct link to all materials on Amazon would be provided via a private page accessible from a link in the Lesson plans for easy purchase.

I would love it, honestly.

To answer your other questions:

Not a clue.

No, but I would like a program that is historically accurate and doesn't pander or play down the truth. If you produce something that talks about Columbus, please don't try to sell me on "he discovered America." Don't gloss over suffrage. Don't tell me how great Paul Revere was. Those and others are why we're picking our own books this year and I ditched using a packaged curriculum for my history co-op class. We deserve better and more balance in materials to get our kids to think about the 'whys'.

That would actually be my ideal. I like being able to decide where to buy items and only if I need them.

Not a clue.

No, but I would like a program that is historically accurate and doesn't pander or play down the truth. If you produce something that talks about Columbus, please don't try to sell me on "he discovered America." Don't gloss over suffrage. Don't tell me how great Paul Revere was. Those and others are why we're picking our own books this year and I ditched using a packaged curriculum for my history co-op class. We deserve better and more balance in materials to get our kids to think about the 'whys'.

That would actually be my ideal. I like being able to decide where to buy items and only if I need them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I want the TRUTH, and the hows/whys when they are known (using multiple sources for each event to see the multiple biases where applicable). I don't want pandering. And I would prefer IGs/plans/activities only, because I often have some of the resources already, or will get them from the library.

Downloadable please for us overseas ladies. :001_smile:

This is probably asking too much but a girl can dream right ;) I'd love to see options for other countries history's (please start with Australia and Canada ) :D It's so hard for me to find any suitable program because they all have so much US history - I want some of my own. I'm kind of suprised that people are saying they want more US focused history - isn't there a ton of it around already? Maybe they are meaning secular US history :confused:

In any case - I'd love to see a separate option of Australian history that I can purchase instead of the US. Doesn't even have to be a large study -just bare bones :D

Yes -because I can't order from Amazon. :glare: I'd love at least a booklist option for those of us who have to buy from the Book Depository OR you could link to the BD if that is possible and what you prefer to do.

Oh, oh, pleeeeeease try to find multiple ways to address/present the information for different learning styles. One big reason why I don't use SL is that there is so. much. reading. aloud. for everything!! Dd is a strong VSL and sitting and just listening to read alouds as the main curricula/activity would drive her up the wall. We need a lot more in the way of activities or coloring/writing pages to do with it, or projects, or picture book/non-fic with pictures options to go through as well.... At least for elementary ages, like the options for tweaking for youngers.

Edited by LittleIzumi

:iagree: I would be interested. I like SL, but I prefer secular curricula. I need something with good discussion/narration guides, etc. and I would REALLY love a more well-balanced approach to more cultures and regions being studied. Don't get me wrong, my kids love Greece and Egypt, but I would like to expose them to more.

I would prefer one to be read through by someone with a history degree or, preferably, several. I hate inaccuracies (Columbus discovering America, racist outdated material, etc.).

Downloadable is fine, I hate shipping costs. Amazon is fine. I have Prime. ;)

Studying of other religions from an open or accepting POV would be fantastic. I would like to read parts of the Koran or Ramayana, etc. without a lot of hubub over it being false beliefs, etc.

More hands on options, but everything scheduled would be awesome.

I am an OCD Virgo, so if you need help, let me know. I would be glad to help out. :)

A few more questions:

Sorry, I'm not that creative.

Not necessarily.

This sounds perfect. I use downloadable products more and more these days, and as long as I can get the books from Amazon, I'm good.

Not a clue.

:iagree:

Guest duckysblue

I am new to this board but I thought I'd comment since I have been looking at history curriculum and would prefer secular. My daughter is currently in PS 2nd grade and I am looking to homeschool her for 3rd grade and would like to start with American history.

For American history I would like to see ancient America, women, religious, and ethnic history would be great.

For World history I agree with the other posters about including more than just European history. Polynesian history should be included too.

Download or printed is fine. Amazon links are ok too.

deerhunter I pm'd you about your ancient American curriculm.

Okay Y'all have convinced me - we're going to start working on it.

First up will be US history, geared to a 3rd-4th grade level, including a pre-colonies period studying Native American History. I am sketching it out now for outlines - I can either do a 1 year condensed program or a two year stretched program that would be about half a year finishing up US history and half a year dedicated to State History {I plan eventually to make plans for all 50 states, but Texas will be first as I need that for my daughter}.

Which would you prefer - a one year condensed program or a 2 year stretched program and Why?

After I finish the US history program, then I'll start on 5th grade Ancients :D

First up will be US history, geared to a 3rd-4th grade level, including a pre-colonies period studying Native American History. I am sketching it out now for outlines - I can either do a 1 year condensed program or a two year stretched program that would be about half a year finishing up US history and half a year dedicated to State History {I plan eventually to make plans for all 50 states, but Texas will be first as I need that for my daughter}.

Which would you prefer - a one year condensed program or a 2 year stretched program and Why?

I vote one year condensed, but I'm ADD and need to change topics often, LOL.

I also vote 1-year condensed.

Well we have easily spent a full year on pre-Columbia Americas. We are just starting our geophraphy/history overview of the states, which I expect will probably take a year.

We read a lot and do a lot of extras and we don't do it every day. But all that in one year feels rushed to me.

Well, i see that you have already made your decision about what to work on now. BUT back to your original question i would love to see a secular history in a similar format to SL. I like it to be true world history and not focused on any particular country US or Euro, i want balance. I'd love it if you provided links to both Amazon and for those not in the US Book Depository. Downloadable would be great, saves on postage!

In a perfect world i'd really love 1 guide for ancients with questions, activities, vocab etc that covers grammar, logic and rhetoric stages. Almost like TOG but more structured like SL, not so many choices. I guess what i am saying is 3 x SL IGs in 1 IYKWIM so that i can keep my kids together, but all the decisions are already laid out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what I am looking for! History is the last piece of the puzzle for me and you can't find what you are planning anywhere. I think there are many people that would love to have this available to them. Any chance it will be ready by August??!! :D