Menu

Re-thinking everything for high school.

I've been having waves of panic as I read through high school planning books and try to figure out how to do home school high school. I just don't know if I'm up to guiding a student through high school work with virtually no outside help. We have no co-ops, no community college, no support from like-minded local home schoolers. We have a lovely group here, but they're mostly younger kids, and they're definitely not rigorous in any way.

I've been planning on having ds do MFW for English, history, and Bible, Visual Link Spanish, probably Lial's for math, maybe Shepherd Science for biology. I really like the look of MFW, but I'm second guessing decisions on math and science because he's struggling with them now. I just don't have the time to teach the subjects (and I don't have the knowledge in science, either), and he's just not getting it from the books. Also, he doesn't really want to sit and listen to me teach it to him. He gets really antsy and doesn't pay attention.

I've been considering just going with an on-line school to take my hands off completely. I did an on-line meeting with one yesterday, and it looks really good. They use Apex materials and have a teacher to mentor each student. It looks great, but ds wasn't impressed.

He says that he doesn't want to sit in front of a computer all day. That had originally been one of my concerns with the program. I'd rather see them use textbooks to learn from, and do their work on-line, but everything is on-line with this program.

His other complaint is that he'd lose the flexibility that he has with home schooling. He likes that if he's having trouble understanding something, he can go more slowly through it. For instance, he bombed his last science test. So I've had him go back, watch Khan videos on the subject, re-study, and he'll take another test today. He's doesn't like the idea of losing that flexibility with an on-line program.

I can see his points, and I just don't know what to do. Dh thinks we should go with the on-line school because he can see that I'm at the end of my rope with trying to teach all three kids. When my oldest was still home schooling, I tried Switched-on-Schoolhouse to take some of the load off me, and that was a complete disaster. I don't want to make another big mistake, especially freshman year of high school, just because I need a break.

Sorry this got so long. I would appreciate any advice you could offer. In fact if someone could just make the decision for me, that would be great. ;)

What about just outsourcing science and math? Jann in TX teaches math classes using Lial's. You could still do MFW, which I believe the student can do independently.

My son will be in 9th next year and I decided to outsource the subjects I was weakest in - science, math, and foreign language. I will continue to teach history, english, etc.

Hopefully, more people will chime in. :grouphug: This year's planning has been full of tough decisions for me, too.

I did think about Jann in TX. I'll contact her to find out how she does her classes.

I'd never thought of BJU. How does it work? I pay for access to their materials for a year. Then ds watches the lectures and reads the book, and I do all the grading?

Could you use MFW and outsource your math and science? MFW is written to the student (at least I think that is right), so he should be able to do it independently for the most part with you just there for support and grading.

There are so many options now to help with subjects that are difficult for us as teachers. We love Kinetic Books for math. It is an online program for math that is self-grading, has video lessons, and is a bit more rigorous than Teaching Textbooks (and about half the cost!). There is also Teaching Textbooks, Thinkwell, Math U See-not all are self-grading, but do have video instruction. For science, there are several options, especially for the Apologia books. They have a lecture dvd out now, as does Red Wagon Tutorials. Virtual Homeschool Group has free, online, at your own pace classes for the Apologia books. DIVE has math and science dvds. These courses all let you go at your own pace. If you decide that is not an issue, the possibilities are endless! :D

There are also some writing programs that will just evaluate the assignments your child has completed. I can't think of the name of the one talked about on here right now, but maybe someone else will chime in, or I'm sure you can find it in search.

High school is scary, but you can do it! No one will care about your kids like you. Go to a homeschool convention and recharge your battery. Or, send the kids and hubby away for a couple of days and listen to a bunch of seminars on homeschooling in general and for high school while they're gone. :grouphug:

Could you use MFW and outsource your math and science? MFW is written to the student (at least I think that is right), so he should be able to do it independently for the most part with you just there for support and grading.

There are so many options now to help with subjects that are difficult for us as teachers. We love Kinetic Books for math. It is an online program for math that is self-grading, has video lessons, and is a bit more rigorous than Teaching Textbooks (and about half the cost!). There is also Teaching Textbooks, Thinkwell, Math U See-not all are self-grading, but do have video instruction. For science, there are several options, especially for the Apologia books. They have a lecture dvd out now, as does Red Wagon Tutorials. Virtual Homeschool Group has free, online, at your own pace classes for the Apologia books. DIVE has math and science dvds. These courses all let you go at your own pace. If you decide that is not an issue, the possibilities are endless! :D

There are also some writing programs that will just evaluate the assignments your child has completed. I can't think of the name of the one talked about on here right now, but maybe someone else will chime in, or I'm sure you can find it in search.

High school is scary, but you can do it! No one will care about your kids like you. Go to a homeschool convention and recharge your battery. Or, send the kids and hubby away for a couple of days and listen to a bunch of seminars on homeschooling in general and for high school while they're gone. :grouphug:

I wish I could go to a convention. I live in England. No conventions. :crying:

Right now I'm really kicking myself because I was going to buy Lial's Pre-Algebra for ds this year, but because I already had LOF Pre-Algebra on hand and we wanted to save money, dh said I should just use the LOF Pre-Algebra and get Lial's Intro Algebra. LOF went quickly and now Algebra is too much for him. I really wish I had gone with the Lial's Pre-Algebra as planned. Now I'm half-way through our school year and looking at international shipping and a discouraged son if I decide to step back and get the Lial's Pre-Algebra.

I feel like my head is going to explode. I'm sick and tired of having to do all my research on-line and make decisions that I'm stuck with for the year unless I want to pay for the international shipping and shift gears mid-year.

Sorry to vent. I'll look into all those ideas for math and science. Thanks.

Megan, have your son try the khanacademy. There are quite a few pres algebra topics. After he watches Dvd he can do exercises. It will tell him when he is proficient then he can go to the next topic. He can give algebra 1 a go with this too.

We are in England too. A big convention with lots of choice would be lovely!

What about an umbrella type school that gives you lots of flexibility but some accountablilty. They will keep records and issue a diploma and transcript and offer teacher assisted learning. Some let you choose your own curriculum...not sure if this would help you. The only ones that I know of off hand are ones my friends are using (and LOVE) and they happen to be Catholic but you do not have to take the religion classes (I have a non Catholic friend using one). They are Kolbe Academy and Mother of Divine Grace. I know there are many others...Cthaolic and not.

My daughter is going into 9th grade next year and we are having the same issues here...I am still not sure what we are going to do...

I've considered MFW also but I am also considering Mother of Divine Grace (we are not Catholic) because they will let me substitute our own math and science but my daughter will have someone else to give her input other then me...they also do all the record keeping for me (I am not organized). She does not have to take the religion classes.

He used Khan for a while last year, but got tired of it. I've told him to go back and watch the algebra videos that go along with what he's learning in Lial's, but it can be hard to find which ones line up.

You might want to have a look at Brightstorm videos. They even have a section that matches up their videos for certain texts (don't think they have Lial's, though, but it might work for other courses in hs if you use the specific texts listed).

Edited by amsunshine

Have you looked into Keystone? They are a mix of online and textbook. Each week, the student reads/watches an introduction on the computer, then reads the chapter in the textbook. There is then a self-quiz online for the student to check their understanding of the chapter, which is graded automatically. The unit tests are also online and, while the multiple choice questions are corrected by the computer, the short answer and essay questions are graded by the teacher. Teacher-issued grades are received within 72 hours, and any questions or other contact made with the teacher, whether by email or phone, is responded to within 24 hours. He has a year from enrollment to complete the course, so while a 36-week suggested schedule is provided, he can finish the coursework at any point within that year, leaving him plenty of flexibility.

I also did not want my ds at the computer all day (and neither did he), so this has been a good mix. That said, I find I still do a lot of hand-holding. That is just my ds's personality. I don't want you to think just because he is doing an online or correspondence course that you can wash your hands of him. If he needs a lot of assistance, teaching, going over concepts, helping him with scheduling, etc., that won't really change with the online class. The only difference is that he and you are accountable to an outside entity, so it is more likely the work will be completed (but still a struggle). It is also easier to slowly work him toward more independence, because that external motivation is there (as opposed to him simply not completing "mom-assigned" work because you didn't babysit him).

Best of luck with your decision,

Well, I am going to second BJU Distance Learning. You can't beat their science, and so far my ds is doing very well with their math (we tried Chalkdust first and it advanced to quickly for ds). I also use MFW. It's been a perfect combo for us....lots of book time with MFW, and a couple of video classes with BJU. Next year my ds may have three BJU classes as I am thinking of having him do Spanish 1 alongside their Biology and Geometry.

BJU is just so easy to use. The teachers talk directly to the student, they keep the subject interesting, the class time includes review, and it's a rigorous, but not overly so, curriculum. It works well for us. ;)

What about an umbrella type school that gives you lots of flexibility but some accountablilty. They will keep records and issue a diploma and transcript and offer teacher assisted learning. Some let you choose your own curriculum...not sure if this would help you. The only ones that I know of off hand are ones my friends are using (and LOVE) and they happen to be Catholic but you do not have to take the religion classes (I have a non Catholic friend using one). They are Kolbe Academy and Mother of Divine Grace. I know there are many others...Cthaolic and not.

My daughter is going into 9th grade next year and we are having the same issues here...I am still not sure what we are going to do...

I've considered MFW also but I am also considering Mother of Divine Grace (we are not Catholic) because they will let me substitute our own math and science but my daughter will have someone else to give her input other then me...they also do all the record keeping for me (I am not organized). She does not have to take the religion classes.

Do not expect subject matter/content help unless it is part of their current curriculum. My experience: I called with a general question about Marco Polo The Travels, a book they had dropped the previous year. I wanted to know how graphic the Lambert edition they had used was. (My library did not have that edition. Some of the descriptions in editions I'd previewed would make even Herodotus blush, but probably not Suetonius). Kolbe was very clear about not discussing even something from the previous year. We were with them for two years. YMMV

. Virtual Homeschool Group has free, online, at your own pace classes for the Apologia books.

Ive used this to help with Apologia. It's very flexible.

I also am a fan of Math Relief for algebra, which includes daily video lessons and email support.

http://www.mathrelief.com/

TT geometry can provide those things for geometry, too.

You can do this! There are other options as well, but if you want to homeschool high school, it can be done.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

I created an account there, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the videos. It shows that they offer it 'at your own pace,' but I can't actually get to the course, just the faq video.

eta: Nevermind. I figured it out. This looks good. Thanks.

Edited by MeganP

As others have said, distance learning might meet both of your requirements. Your son can learn at his own pace using textbooks, and you won't have to be creating lesson plans, grading all the work, etc.. Our dd uses Seton Home Study for distance learning. I know international shipping is more expensive, but most things, if not all, can be submitted online - just scan or send as an attachment and many tests can be taken online as well.

For math they use Saxon, but you can use any math program you want and just do independent study for that subject - same with science, foreign languages, and other courses as well. We've found that with our dd following Seton's lessons plans on her own, it's been great prep for college courses as she already schedules her time and works independently.

Hope you find something which works well for your family. :)

As others have said' date=' distance learning might meet both of your requirements. [/quote']

I'm trying to sort through all the options. Many of the providers are not really clear on exactly what they offer. It's more than just a little bit frustrating. This it going to take some time to sort through. I'll add Seton to the list as well. Thanks.

I'm trying to sort through all the options. Many of the providers are not really clear on exactly what they offer. It's more than just a little bit frustrating. This it going to take some time to sort through. I'll add Seton to the list as well. Thanks.

I thoroughly agree. Even going to curricula fairs it took quite a bit of time to get the information out of the representatives of the different schools. It might be best to make a list of questions and then call each one and get the specific answers. The websites are horrible for finding out what's covered and for how much. :tongue_smilie:

We have no support in our community either (no co ops, community college, etc.). I outsourced high school sciences and foreign language. For math we went mostly with Teaching Textbooks, because they have step by step solutions (on DVD) for every problem.

Good luck to you! You can do it!!

I've heard great things about Kolbe from moms in our homeschool group that have older children. It sounds like it can be pretty hands off as there is a facilitator who your child submits their work to for grading. There is support, a transcript and they graduate from Kolbe.

Not sure if this is at all helpful (my oldest is 6!) but I thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.kolbe.org/

For math there is Kinetic books, which is online and does almost all the grading. And it does all the teaching. And sonlight has science packages that use Apologia, that are written to the student,with the daily lessons spelled out, the textbook on CD rom if you want so it has video clips and such, and lab kits with everything he needs to do the labs all on his own. Spanish he could do Switched on Schoolhouse and do that almost totally without you.

I was looking at their website yesterday. It looks really good. Am I to understand that if you choose the 'online' option, you get a book and the online materials? Amd it uses K-12 online materials? Does your child get help from a tutor if they are struggling to understand something? Can I enroll him in just a couple of their classes and do the rest at home?

As you look through InterHigh and the others mentioned, I just want to give you some info regarding Seton. It is an accredited Catholic distance school - they have students all over the world. You can sign up for one class, or two or three, or for the full program. You get lesson plans (which the student can follow on their own), most of the texts/books needed, tests, grading, and the full support of academic advisers in the different subject areas. The tests can usually be taken online or on paper and scanned or sent in via mail - papers can be submitted the same way.

Their website is http://www.setonhome.org/

I was looking at their website yesterday. It looks really good. Am I to understand that if you choose the 'online' option, you get a book and the online materials? Amd it uses K-12 online materials? Does your child get help from a tutor if they are struggling to understand something? Can I enroll him in just a couple of their classes and do the rest at home?

I assume you are referring to Keystone. If so, I can answer your questions as it relates to Keystone's courses.

If you enroll in an online course, you will receive a textbook in addition to the online portion (lesson intros, self quizzes, exams, etc.)

It does not use K12 materials. The company happens to have been bought out by K12, but they have their own curriculum, completely separate from K12.

The course teacher can be reached by phone or email and will respond within 24 hours. I wouldn't expect in-depth, continuous hand-holding (as one might find with course priced at double the cost), but the entire staff is great about suggesting resources, etc. to help the student work through the program.

You can enroll in as many or as few courses as you'd like.

Only a couple of things to be aware of:

8th grade completion - They require proof of having completed 8th grade in order to enroll in their courses. My ds's 8th grade standardized test scores were sufficient.

Credit for homeschool work - If you are interested in receiving a high school diploma from Keystone, and want to do some self-designed courses on your own, they do have a procedure for granting credit for homeschool work. However, it is a lengthy documentation process with a lot of requirements, so be sure to get a copy of that portfolio application ahead of time to make sure you keep all the necessary paperwork in order to request credit at the end of the year. BTW, completion of 8th grade can also be proven with this portfolio, but it might be too difficult to go back and reconstruct the proof after the fact.

Keystone is a great option. However, if you are not interested in receiving official "credit", but simply want your child to be accountable to an outside entity for the sake of motivation and responsibility, there may be some slightly cheaper options, like Memoria Press and Write at Home.

Thanks for your responses. I'm thinking that what could work for us is to do MFW for Bible, English, and history; do Visual Link for Spanish; and then outsource for math and science. I'm not just looking for outside accountability; I don't feel that accountability is the issue. I think he needs something that will actually teach the material to him. I really like the interactive exercises that Apex offered, but would love to have something that combined interactive computer exercises with a real textbook and a teacher that was available for questions if needed. It seems like Keystone may fit. But the proof of 8th grade completion may be an issue, depending on what they're looking for in terms of proof. I'm going to try to call them later. Thanks for all your help, ladies.