Menu

What is the deal? (OT and possibly TMI)

I've been on Ortho-Cyclen for several years. It was really to relieve cystic hormonal acne and it's done great at that, but... my period is never really that regular on it, and the attempt to squelch it by taking the pills non-stop (not taking the placebo week and just continuing the regular pills) has not done any good either. I will sometimes have a period after 21 days, sometimes after 14 days.

I have an annual physical scheduled at the beginning of April and I want to discuss this with him then. It isn't debillitating but it is annoying and I can't seem to find info on this out there.

Has anyone has similar experiences, or have any knowledge of this kind of thing that you'd be willing to share? If posting on this topic is not your thing, I'd be grateful for your knowledge in a pm, too.

Please? :blush:

ETA: Oh, I'm coming up on 44yo, if that makes any difference.

If I'm remembering correctly that is one of the pills that has different doses at different points in the cycle?

I had the exact same problem on a variety of pills but it was definitely the worst on the tri-cyclic ones. The situation didn't start until I was in my 30's, I tried a variety of different pills and none really helped. I had two more kids then had my tubes tied.

I think it is common for cycles to go nuts at your age. Mine started going haywire when I was about 40 but I wasn't on BCP at the time. When it got to be too aggravating, my GYN put me on Loestrin 24FE. I don't want to sound like a commercial but I love these pills. I have almost no bleeding now, ever, and my other symptoms vanished.

I don't know if it would work for you or if you would still get break-through bleeding but it's worth asking about.

Pegasus

I think it is common for cycles to go nuts at your age. Mine started going haywire when I was about 40 but I wasn't on BCP at the time. When it got to be too aggravating, my GYN put me on Loestrin 24FE. I don't want to sound like a commercial but I love these pills. I have almost no bleeding now, ever, and my other symptoms vanished.

I don't know if it would work for you or if you would still get break-through bleeding but it's worth asking about.

Pegasus

I never had the chance to try these but I have a friend who takes it and she says the same thing. She is much younger than I am though.

I know the doctor kept trying higher doses when I had my problem and the higher dose pills actually made the problem worse. Maybe a low dose would have been a solution.

My cycle has always been wacky. At nineteen I was once 6 months late. Before kids I got my period every 28 days to 4 months. It turned out that I have a thyroid problem. I was regular after my youngest was born. But I was just now 2 weeks late. (I started a thread about pregnancy after the big V - wondering if I was pregnant).

I have a doctors appointment about it in one week. If I learn anything I'll let you know.

If I'm remembering correctly that is one of the pills that has different doses at different points in the cycle?

I had the exact same problem on a variety of pills but it was definitely the worst on the tri-cyclic ones. The situation didn't start until I was in my 30's, I tried a variety of different pills and none really helped. I had two more kids then had my tubes tied.

No. This one is just the same dosage each day. The tri-cyclen is what you're thinking of. Still, I could try to asking my doc about a different pill.

Different bcp have different active ingredients, in differing strengths.

It sounds like you need to try a different one. If you tell the Dr your symptoms, they can help to select a new one. The new one, can be selected to reduce your symptoms and may be able to still help your acne.

While the Dr can make an educated guess, it does take each person's trial and error to hone in on the right dose for them.

Over time, our bodies own hormones fluctuate, so one that was working great previously, may no longer work.

I used bcp for years to help with acne. I have roseacea also. I have found that since turing 40, that my acne seems to have faded a bit. After stoping bcp years back, I switched to prescription acne products. They controlled it, and I was able to go off the hormones. In the past year or two, I have pretty much stopped using them as well and now just use 2 drops of grape seed oil and a tiny bit of aloe vera mixed together. I still get one spot or less a month, and will use an rx product on that only.