Menu

High interest early chapter books for social butterflies?

Sneezyone

My dd is not at all into princesses, dinosaurs or fantasy (so no magic treehouse). She prefers the drama and angst of school relationships to almost anything else. So to get her to finally tackle a longer chapter book I brought out my personal fave, Freckle Juice. SUCCESS! She loved it and even brought me Flat Stanley as a follow up (which is boring as all get out... but I digress).

Now what?? I'm afraid I set the bar a little too high as far as the interest level goes and neither of us wants to be bored to tears.:001_huh: I'm thinking about...

A Girl Named Helen Keller

Wayside School is Falling Down

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

How to Eat Fried Worms

Any other recommendations??

My dd liked the first "Judy Moody" book, but she hasn't rushed to the library to borrow more...

She is also loving the first 4 Betsy~Tacy books (Books 5-10 are aimed at older girls).

Hmmm... (She likes Magic Treehouse, too, and that has dominated her reading choice for the past few months)... What about "The Hundred Dresses"? I've avoided it so far because of the bullying, but if she likes "ansty", she might like it...

Heather

DD liked Judy Moody - though I think she liked the Stink books better.

Others that she has read and gone back to:

Martha Speaks

Ivy and Bean

Geronimo Stilton

Then there are the multitude of:

Rainbow Magic

Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew

Bailey School Kids

She loved the Ramona books.

Series she's currently obsessing over (and the library has no more of which makes her sad)

Doll Hospital

Little Genie

She will read anything and everything from Rainbow Magic (thankfully she read them ALL and seems done) to Ginger Pye, Half Magic, Doll People, etc.

Try Enid Blyton. The Famous Five and Secret Seven were a huge hit here. Wonderfully English - all orange-ade and cream cakes. My son developed a huge squirrel obsession after reading The Children of Cherry Tree Farm (not a lot of squirrels in Australia......).

D

Thanks everyone! I picked up The Hundred Dresses, the first Betsy-Tacy book, Ivy and Bean, Young Cam Jansen and Ramona Quimby, Age 8. That should be enough for the next month or so. I'm thinking we'll get Harriet the Spy, How to Eat Fried Worms and a few more next month. It should be a fun summer!