Menu

Latin...Friend wants to know why we do Latin..Help

Holly IN

A friend of mine just asked me why we do Latin. What is the importance of it? I was lost for words. She emailed me and asked me this. I can't sum it up into words very well. I know the benefits but is there an article that I can just send to her that sums it up very well?

Thanks

Holly

My top 3 reasons are English vocab, grammer, and the value of studying the words of influential ancient world leaders in their own words. My dc aren't old enough to begin Latin study yet, but I took it in high school. I am glad I did! Etymology was an insanely easy course after taking Latin. My ONLY real instruction in English grammer was in LATIN class:001_huh: (wtg public school system:tongue_smilie:), but that was enough to get me through college without embarrasing myself.

All the above reasons PLUS -I can't do foreign language accents so great. I can learn Latin along with my kids and not have to worry about the accent. I'm a little with Susan Wise Bauer in that you really can't learn a foreign language without talking to someone who can speak it regularly. Latin avoids this issue in that no one really speaks it (other than some church litergy).

Beth

I just wanted to offer an alternative view to the one presented in the LfC article. It identifies as the ultimate goal of Latin as "construing" - analyzing and translating - original Latin texts. This is not what all classicists would identify as the goal by any means. Most, I believe, would say that the goal of studying Latin is the ability to read Latin fluently - and fluency means not having to translate every sentence into English along the way.

It is true that many people in the modern classical education movement place more emphasis on the "mental training" aspect of Latin than on reading Latin literature, and I don't deny that students can learn a great deal about how language works from studying Latin grammar. We don't have to choose between learning about a language (which is what linguists do) and acquiring that language (which is what foreign language students do). Both pursuits have value. But grammar study is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Just as we learn English grammar not for its own sake, but to become better writers, we learn Latin grammar to become fluent readers. The real joy of Latin is the ability to read 1500 years' worth (and more) of literature in the original tongue - to meet the authors on their own turf, so to speak, without the inevitable omissions and distortions that even the very best translations bring to a text.