Menu

If you use All About Spelling...

fork29

I'm not using it now, but when I used it in first grade, I also used First Language Lessons (grammar), Writing With Ease (composition), and Handwriting Without Tears (just enough to remediate bad letter formation... then I used copywork in WWE and outside of WWE for handwriting practice).

DS was already reading fluently, so I didn't do any phonics (AAS covered what he needed). For "reading", I just gave him good books.

We didn't get into AAS until this year, although my son is loving it.

BUT, for my next son, who starts kindergarten next year, this is what I have planned for first grade, assuming he's at about where my first son was last year:

--AAS (of course)

--SL Readers 2 (IF he's finished 100EZ and whatever other phonics stuff I throw at him. Our local library has Bob Books, for example.) Believe it or not, these were pitched just perfectly for my oldest son, although he got a little sick of the Bible story book by the end.

--WWE 1

--HWT (Although my oldest used ARfH, my second is a lefty.)

--Occasional showing (and singing!) of Schoolhouse Rock's Grammar Rock video, for a fun introduction to the parts of speech. (We're using R&S grammar, which doesn't begin until the second grade.)

My oldest liked the Explode the Code books 4-6 in first grade. I'm not sure about using those when we're doing AAS, too. I might switch off with them, trying to find the lessons that reinforce what we're already doing, or I might just skip it, since those are expensive consumables. I just don't know yet.

AAS wasn't available when my kids were 1st grade, but I like to focus on phonics, reading, and handwriting mainly (we do some informal projects and such--thank you notes after Christmas/birthdays, telling stories that I would scribe and they would illustrate, and so on). We used HWT for handwriting. Sonlight has good readers if you are needing more than what's in AAR, or if your kids are past AAR ability-wise.

Now I use Essentials in Writing and Sonlight for lit for my oldest. Youngest is doing Easy Grammar and Story Starters but I'm probably going to switch her to Essentials next year.

Happy curriculum hunting!

Merry :-)