Menu

IEW user's - poll

rafiki

We started when the kids were in 7th, 5th, and 2nd grades.

I started with just TWSS and used that successfully for a few years.

Since then we have used SWI-C, SWCC-B and C, and the following theme based lessons: Bible, Ancient, Medieval, and both US Histories.

My son went through the High School Essay Intensive two years ago, and last year the Advanced Communication Series.

IEW has worked very well for us. My kids have learned to write well in all their subjects, and my oldest earned A's both semesters in college English this past year, and also did very well in his papers for his other classes.

I always say IEW is the best homeschool money I have ever spent!

Blessings,

~Sabrina in NY

I like to use TWSS across the curriculum because the whole point of IEW is to learn how to write well in all your subjects.

I like the SWI and SWCC dvds because it is fun and effective for the kids to learn directly from Andrew.

I like the theme based lessons because they work so well to go along with what we're studying in history. Also the lesson plans make it super easy to teach, plus they get extra grammar and vocabulary.

I just like it all! By the time I'm done homeschooling I will probably have used everything they sell!

~Sabrina

I thought I was the only one to say "IEW is the best homeschooling money I spend."

I have used it for 3 years with my now 12 yod. I have the TWSS, SWI-A, SICC-A. Not to mention the poetry memorization and Teaching the Classics. We are trying the history based writing for the first time this year.

HTH,

Beth

How long have you used IEW?

We have used this approach to writing instruction for about 2 years now, meaning the TWSS and SWI as a foundation.

For what grades?

Grade levels we have used it with include Grade 5, 6 and will be starting with a 4th grader this fall. We will continue with the older two as we progress through the units, and bring the third child on board with it

What materials have you used?

TWSS set, SWI-A and B, Teaching the Classics and some of Matt Whitling's theme-based books as well.

Do you prefer the theme based series, SWI's, or to use the TWSS & write across the curriculum & why?

The theme-based books were good especially for our oldest student, but once he 'had' the hang of dissecting a story it became redundant so we stopped - may try it with the second-eldest. I think the SWI is a must, since having Andrew present and teach the material is such a boon! We hope to add SICC this year and later on The Elegant Essay - as another poster has said, we will probably end up trying everything they have to offer by the time we're done schooling! Heartily recommend IEW! :001_smile:

We began using IEW in January with my 4th grade DD and 5th grade DS.

We started with TWSS, then decided to try SWI-A. SWI was not a good fit for us and I ended up returning it. We'll continue on with just TWSS in the fall.

As of right now, I prefer just TWSS and my own writing assignments. I may try out a theme based series later, but for now I'm very happy with just TWSS.

Two years

For what grades?

Third grade and up

TWSS

Articles and Stories for Unit 1&2

Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons

Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons - for Classical Conversations writing class

Do you prefer the theme based series, SWI's, or to use the TWSS & write across the curriculum & why?

I preferred using the theme based series for getting started. It was helpful to be able to work through set lessons to learn the techniques. This year my 7th grader will be using what he has learned to write in the subject areas. My 4th grader will begin with Writing Trails in American History.

I just started last week. I have TWSS and SWI-A. DD is going to start SWI-A week after next after we get back from a trip. I agree this is the best homeschooling money I've ever spent. Dd is already incorporating things she picked up from my watching the DVDs into her personal writing. This is my kid who hates to write. :thumbup:

We used it for a few months, then did other things, then came back picking-and-choosing for awhile. I've used only IEW for the last two years and am a local co-op teacher.

How long have you used IEW? About five years with some breaks

For what grades? 2nd-6th

What materials have you used? TWSS, SWI-A, Medieval, American History (will start in September)

Do you prefer the theme based series, SWI's, or to use the TWSS & write across the curriculum & why? Frankly SWI-A is what cemented it for me. Sitting through it with my oldest really brought everything together even though I had watched TWSS several times and used bits-and-pieces. I like the theme-based books because they're ready-to-go and very thorough.

My only regret is that we didn't use it sooner. It does have a learning curve, but once you grasp it, I've found it very easy to teach.

[1.] For what grades?

[2.] What materials have you used?

[3.] Do you prefer the theme based series, SWI's, or to use the TWSS & write across the curriculum &[4.] why?

1. Two months

2. 3rd & 5th

3. TWSS & Fables, Myths & Fairytales

4. So far, I am finding both the theme-based lessons and the "writing across the curriculum" approach to be my style. I want to be able to use it "across the curriculum" comfortably by November, when we'll start SL Core5, and I intend to use the IEW approach to enrich those studies. I bought the theme-based lessons to start with now to help all of us "get the hang" of using the program. So far, so good. I am getting comfortable with the appoach, we're introducing the units and the various dress-ups, etc. using the theme-based lessons, so I think I'll be ready to fly solo confidently in a few months. The kids really like the theme-based lessons and I find it nice to have something to start with. Meanwhile, I've been watching the TWSS and modifying/adding to the theme-based lessons as we go along. I think this approach will work pretty well for us. I plan to work through much of the FM&FT this summer and then be ready to branch out more fully into Core5 inspired writing next year.

we've used IEW for almost 9 years.

We've used it for 3rd through 12th grades (if you don't count the Poetry Memorization study which I am using for my 4 & 8 yo's).

I initially used TWSS. Three years ago we began using the Theme based units and have used Medieval History, Elegant Essay, Bible Based lessons. We have also utilized the share ware on the web-site.

Next year we plan to use the Fables and Fairy Tales, U.S. Hisory and Progymnasta theme based lessons (I'll be teaching across grades at a co-op again).

I might have my 17 yo do the SWII -C depending on her work schedule.

for the last question:)

I like the theme based units. The work book is not overwhelming to the kids. The lessons are right there for them so they just have to work the system, not create something totally new. The lessons are straightforward and don't pack so much in that the kids aren't sure what they are supposed to be learning. It's easy for the teacher to pick up and teach from without much prep (other than the initial front-end load of watching the TWSS dvd's!)

It's simple, it's effective, it's affordable ;)

A tip: I have taken the structure and style page from the TWSS workbook (I think page 33), copied and laminated it for the kids to keep in the front of their writing notebooks. They can check off what they've done and it's "at a glance."

You guys are getting me excited to try this. I was looking at the TWSS only, but I may add the themed writing kit for Ancient History, since that's where we'll be next year. I was a little concerned to try it with my youngest son (7, will be 3rd next year), but I see a few other 2nd and 3rd graders included in the ages above, so I am less worried now. This information is so encouraging, just knowing there are so many others out there going through the same thing, trying to make the same choices.

If some of you don't mind answering...

What skills are necessary before starting this program?

How much writing (or pre-writing) experience did your child have:

spelling?

phonics?

grammar?

penmanship?

I've read the site, watched the you-tube videos, read the testimonials, searched this forum...

but the cost is... yikes. I want to be *sure* for that investment.

I have used bits and pieces of IEW (like key word outlines and sentence dress-ups) for years...since the TWSS was on video TAPE and of really poor quality. I became a firm believer in this technique this year with my 8th grade writing phobic DS. He just THRIVED on the History based lessons.

For what grades?

I am going to use this for all of our grades 1-12.

What materials have you used? The TWSS, I use the seminar book A LOT. I plan on getting Webster's book. This year I used History Based Writing Medieval and it was a BIG hit. I just began the Fairy Tale/ Fable book w/ dd (who is 10) and I will use the Elegant Essay book with DS next year for 9th grade.

I just LOVE the theme based books and plan to purchase most of them as time and money permit. They put together what I had hoped to do myself, but couldn't due to time constraints...and homeschooling...KWIM??

I would also like to use the SWI's and will probably only use B&C since I feel comfortable waiting to start formal writing until 5th grade (or until my child is 10.

I have used bits and pieces of IEW (like key word outlines and sentence dress-ups) for years...since the TWSS was on video TAPE and of really poor quality. I became a firm believer in this technique this year with my 8th grade writing phobic DS. He just THRIVED on the History based lessons.

For what grades?

I am going to use this for all of our grades 1-12.

The TWSS, I use the seminar book A LOT. I plan on getting Webster's book. This year I used History Based Writing Medieval and it was a BIG hit. I just began the Fairy Tale/ Fable book w/ dd (who is 10) and I will use the Elegant Essay book with DS next year for 9th grade.

I LOVE the theme based books and plan to purchase most of them as time and money permit. They put together what I had hoped to do myself, but couldn't due to time constraints...and homeschooling...KWIM??

I would also like to use the SWI's and will probably only use B&C since I feel comfortable waiting to start formal writing until 5th grade (or until my child is 10.

If some of you don't mind answering...

What skills are necessary before starting this program?

How much writing (or pre-writing) experience did your child have:

spelling?

phonics?

grammar?

penmanship?

I've read the site, watched the you-tube videos, read the testimonials, searched this forum...

but the cost is... yikes. I want to be *sure* for that investment.

IEW usually recommends that you don't start your kids with a writing program before 3rd grade becasue they do need some mechanical abilites (writing, basic spelling). I am having my rising 3rd grader work through "English for the Thoughtful Child" this summer in preparation for IEW in the fall, when we'll start with "Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales." You could also do simle copywork, or handwriting. If writing is difficult for your child, teach them keyboarding. Like others, I too, have had my older son (a leftie who loves to write but can't stand the thought of physically writing) narrate to me, and then he will add in the dress ups, openers, etc.

I am also having my 3rd grader work through book one of Sequential Spelling, he is solid in phonics so he is reading an hour a day and we are going through the Poetry Memorization book. Why? Because a big part of writing well is loving words, playing with them, using puns and metaphors and synonyms, etc. The biggest prep you can do for your kids is to instill a love of language ;)

Honestly, just bite the bullet and spend the $. It will be a great investment and IEW has a 100% money back guarantee - no kidding. The TWSS covers 3rd -12th grade so if you look at it as curriculum for a 10 year time period it ends up being about $20 per year:001_smile: