Menu

Is there any alternative to Audible.com

Have you considered joining, say, the Philadelphia Free Library to access such things?

Otherwise I'm all ears. Pun intended.

:bigear: I'm all ears, too. We aren't international, but I searched the Philadelphia Free Library - how does one get audio books from them? Do they have a special section of ones you can download (I'm assuming?) I saw some there that would be worth the out of state membership for me, as the library we patronize doesn't have much my kids would enjoy...

Ah, never mind. Never underestimate Google! I found their Terms of Use, and it said this:

How do I access your free audiobooks?

Find our collection of audiobooks by clicking Advanced Search on the left side of any page. On the left, you'll see a menu with "Downloadable Audiobooks."

Please be aware that this service will not work on Apple computers or iPods.

Edited by Gingerbread Mama

How do I access your free audiobooks?

Find our collection of audiobooks by clicking Advanced Search on the left side of any page. On the left, you'll see a menu with "Downloadable Audiobooks."

Please be aware that this service will not work on Apple computers or iPods.

That last bit might not be true. If you follow the links, you can see ipod compatible audiobooks (which might be WMA, so they'll work with a PC that has itunes, but may not work on a Mac), and then MP3 audiobooks that are PC and MAC compatible.

If you use an ipod touch, you can use the overdrive app to download mp3 audiobooks from your library.

Have you considered joining, say, the Philadelphia Free Library to access such things?

Otherwise I'm all ears. Pun intended.

I'll definately look into this - thank you!

iTunes?

Unforetunately very very limited in South Africa

Have you tried Librivox? It is really only for out of copyright books and not modern but it is free and I think accessible internationally.

We've listened to many of these. It is a fantastic resource.

My gripe with Audible is that so many of the titles we'd like to download are not available to South Africa (and other parts of the world). I was hoping that there is a more "international" option. We can by CD"s, but they're a lot more expensive than downloads.

I'll definately look into this - thank you!

My gripe with Audible is that so many of the titles we'd like to download are not available to South Africa (and other parts of the world). I was hoping that there is a more "international" option. We can by CD"s, but they're a lot more expensive than downloads.

I think you may therefore be able to get around it by joining the Philadelphia Library. I think it's certainly worth considering, and apparently there are a fair number of others outside the country using it.

Have you told them that? I'd definitely give some feedback in case you haven't already. :) Good luck!