Menu

Is Downton Abbey OK for 10 year old kids to watch?

Is Downtown Abbey OK for older kids to watch in general? There was one scene I would be uncomfortable having ds watch from Season 1 but we have not watched the last show of the season or season 2 yet.

My husband and I are primarily watching it but ds has seen some of it and enjoyed it.

I appreciate any feedback:)

Is Downtown Abbey OK for older kids to watch in general? There was one scene I would be uncomfortable having ds watch from Season 1 but we have not watched the last show of the season or season 2 yet.

My husband and I are primarily watching it but ds has seen some of it and enjoyed it.

I appreciate any feedback:)

So far just the one scene from Season 1, with the diplomat from turkey, but I'm only on episdoe 2 of season 2, so I can't say beyond that.

Oh, and in season 2 Edith kisses a married man.

There were two scenes in season 1, I would not have a young child see.(Thomas and the Duke, Mary and the diplomat) There is a scene in the first or second episode of season 2 where there is some blood.(shot through the hand) Also, a disfigured burn victim in the 4th or 5th episode. I guess it depends on how sensitive you dc is. I know my boys would not like it at all and would be a million questions to follow, all on topics I don't wish to discuss with them yet.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Dh and I didn't see any real reason to let our 10yo dd watch it. It is something dh and I enjoy watching alone, without the chatter and questions of kids. I also don't want to explain things like the concept of "tainted goods". It's not that she wouldn't understand the plot, but it is my time to veg. :tongue_smilie:

There were two scenes in season 1, I would not have a young child see.(Thomas and the Duke, Mary and the diplomat) There is a scene in the first or second episode of season 2 where there is some blood.(shot through the hand) Also, a disfigured burn victim in the 4th or 5th episode. I guess it depends on how sensitive you dc is. I know my boys would not like it at all and would be a million questions to follow, all on topics I don't wish to discuss with them yet.

:iagree:with the bolded. I really wouldn't want my younger kids seeing those scenes.

No, I won't let my kids watch it. *spoilers to follow* While I love it, it's a soap opera. A gorgeous, clever soap opera with wonderful characters and beautiful costumes and some interesting insights into a historical period filled with major social change... But a soap opera. It's mostly about adult relationships, romance, back-biting...

Not only is there a scene with the Turkish diplomat -- it's not graphic at all -- but much of the story hinges on that scene of a young girl's moment of weakness. If it were over and gone, I might not have much of a problem with it, but the story dwells so much on the fall-out of a brief pre-marital fling. (Not to mention that I wouldn't want my kids thinking that young people routinely keel over and die in the midst of sex!)

Later, in season two, there's the issue of Lord Grantham's (near) infidelity. Again, just not something I want as a primary plot point for young kids.

It's not that I think it's "horrible" or anything. As I said above, there's never anything particularly graphic. And there are wonderful parts that I'd share with the kids if I didn't have questions about the whole. But I'm just uncomfortable with the adult soap opera drama (romance, affairs, back-biting)...

Dh and I didn't see any real reason to let our 10yo dd watch it. It is something dh and I enjoy watching alone, without the chatter and questions of kids. I also don't want to explain things like the concept of "tainted goods". It's not that she wouldn't understand the plot, but it is my time to veg. :tongue_smilie:

I also wouldn't want to explain why one character thought he wouldn't be able to produce children or have a "real marriage" with another character, why the officer wouldn't claim his baby after messing around with the maid (another scene that wasn't graphic but also wasn't particularly kid-friendly), the whole drama with another character and his presumably murdered wife, etc. Why would a kid even be interested?

Edited by WordGirl
deleted names to avoid big spoilers

We were not originally planning to have ds watch either but he heard us watching and was drawn in a bit by the historical aspect of the show.

In addition to the visuals listed above, you should consider that Mary's promiscuous behavior is essential to the storyline throughout the entire series (to date). Will your child need to ask you about why certain characters do/don't do certain things, leaving you to include that event in the explanation? Think about how you'd answer.

Later on there is a bedroom scene with Anna and Bates. Nothing actually happens in the scene, but it's apparent something already has. Just one more thing to anticipate. There are a couple more things I might mention but that would be too many spoilers!