Menu

Just got to hear Jim Weiss speak

KristenR

We haven't started SOTW yet but I do plan on starting it next school year. I have the Ancient's audio recording but its just been sitting on my shelf waiting for when we begin history.

Since we hadn't started it yet I was torn about going out of my way to go hear Jim Weiss speak. My weekend is crazy busy and I was Very close to just not going.

I am so glad I did. Man- can that guy tell a story or what?!? We had such a great time and purchased some of his CD's. One on Greek Myths and another on Galileo and Stargazers. It was really hard to choose just two though. I had numerous ones in my hands at different times and kept changing my mind on which ones to get. Shakespeare, Sherlock Homes, Folk Tales..... I didn't realize he had so many!

For those that have them - What are you favorites?

I heard Jim Weiss two years ago at our homeschool convention...Susan W Bauer was there too--swoon! I was in WTM heaven! He is SO entertaining. My girls adore both Greek myth CDs. I am debating about getting Shakespeare...thinking I should wait until we study the Middle Ages, but then shaking myself and thinking that you can never start to early to instill a love of the Bard in your kids.... But I am stretching our budget to the max already!!

Our Jim Weiss collection keeps growing each year and we love them all. It would be difficult to choose a favorite. I tend to use them based on the time period we are studying. He has a brochure that divides the recordings based on a timeline so it is easy to make a selection. Notwithstanding our love of his "stories", his recordings of books are terrific. Come On Seabiscuit and Carry on Mr. Bowditch are real gems. I plan to use his Henty recordings during logic stage.

I heard Jim Weiss two years ago at our homeschool convention...Susan W Bauer was there too--swoon! I was in WTM heaven! He is SO entertaining. My girls adore both Greek myth CDs. I am debating about getting Shakespeare...thinking I should wait until we study the Middle Ages, but then shaking myself and thinking that you can never start to early to instill a love of the Bard in your kids.... But I am stretching our budget to the max already!!

The Shakespeare cds are great, and you're right. The earlier Shakespeare enters a child's life, the less chance he will be feared or rejected later on. Instead, there's a good chance he'll be greeted as an old friend.

We love and own most of his collection.

I have to add that he is truly a gracious and man. Through a happenstance meeting, he ended up inviting us to stop by and visit him if we were ever near Charlottesville.

We took a trip the next year near his house. He invited our entire family over. He had snacks and drinks prepared, gave us a tour of his studio, let the kids make a recording on his equipment, and handed us a stack of complimentary cds when we left.

We were overwhelmed by his hospitality.

We love and own most of his collection.

I have to add that he is truly a gracious and man. Through a happenstance meeting, he ended up inviting us to stop by and visit him if we were ever near Charlottesville.

We took a trip the next year near his house. He invited our entire family over. He had snacks and drinks prepared, gave us a tour of his studio, let the kids make a recording on his equipment, and handed us a stack of complimentary cds when we left.

We were overwhelmed by his hospitality.

That was wonderful of him! Dh chatted with him while we were at a La Leche League conference a few years back, and dh encouraged me to buy his audio CDs. He seemed like a very nice person.

We enjoy our SOTW CDs, and I'm looking forward to trying out his Renaissance Masters one.

Edited by sagira

Where do you get his audios?

I'm in Australia, so downloads are preferable . . . . Thanks :D

Well, as the Greathall Production site puts it, "Most Greathall recordings are now available from your favorite digital supplier. This service is also available from Peace Hill Press and can be purchased at: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/greathall.html."

But they tend to be a lot cheaper at Amazon than at Peace Hill, as the previous poster pointed out. (The link takes you to the Jim Weiss MP3 page, although there are more available from Amazon than are listed there, for some reason. The Galileo and the Stargazers album listed above isn't included, for instance, although it's available from Amazon here.)

Edited by morosophe