Menu

Time spent doing work

We do five core subjects : Math, science, English, history, foreign language. Over time we average one hour per core subject per day.

In addition we do several electives on which we work simultaneously; credit will be awarded cumulatively.

My 10th grader has six hours of school work per day. Sometimes some homework for outside classes in the evening or over the weekend.

In addition to this she participates in choir 2-3 times and rides horses 4-5 times each week. We chose not to count these as school subjects, but as extracurriculars.

My high schoolers have 6.5 hours of schoolwork per day plus weekend reading. We cover Math, English ( grammar & comp /literature) History (literature based), Science, and Foreign Language for a full credit every year. We also do other electives each year....approximately 6 full periods of 1 hour each daily. We do extra reading and writing in the evening.

High School is hard work.

Thanks ladies. My ds15 has Aspergers and struggles with schoolwork sometimes. It's quite frustrating because he's so bright. He excels in verbal discussion so I can tell he has a great grasp on the content. It's all the physical aspects, such as reading and writing, that trip him up. Because we school year round and his classes roll from one into the next, we have been doing only 4 subjects at a time. He currently has English (literature, grammar, writing), Algebra 2, World History, and Health. Health takes less than 30 mins. per day but the other three are taking him between 1 to 1.5 hours a day. He feels it's just too much. I'd like to add Spectrum Chemistry to his program. I'm hoping to gradually bump him up to an average high schooler's day. He's so much better than he was in 9th grade but I feel like he has such a long way to go.

FWIW, the highschoolers at my son's private school have this schedule:

--language 4 one hour periods a week (only required to be taken 2 years)

-- 4 blocks a day. They follow an A day/B day schedule so they are taking 8 subjects on alternating days. Each block is 1 hour, 20 minutes.

-- most kids take at least one afterschool class. Most of them are in the arts, broadly defined, and don't have homework. So most kids have one or two days a week they have a 1 1/2 hour "extra" class that appears on their transcript.

So a typical day if you are taking language (most kids are) is 8:20 to 3:45, or til 5:45 if you are taking an afterschool class.

What my oldest (interested in animation) did:

9th - 5.5

English, American history, biology, geometry, p.e., health (1/2 credit)

10th - 6.0

English, world history part 1, chemistry, algebra II, p.e., personal finance (1/2 credit), psychology (1/2 credit at cc)

11th - 7 credits

English, world history part 2, physics, precalculus, Japanese I and II (1 credit each at cc), Drawing I and II (1/2 credit each at cc)

12th - 7 credits

English I and II (1/2 credit each at cc), government (1/2 credit), physics I for nonscience majors (1 credit at cc), introductory chemistry (1 credit at cc), economics (1/2 credit), Japanese III (1 credit at cc), statistics (1/2 credit at cc), trigonometry (1/2 credit at cc), digital imaging I (1 credit at cc).

======================================

What my middle dd (interested in psychology/neuroscience/cognitive science) has done/will probably do:

9th - 6 credits

English, US history, geometry, biology, p.e., health (1/2 credit), philosophy of mind (1/2 credit)

10th - 6 credits

English, world history, algebra II, physics (took AP physics B test), p.e., piano

11th - 6.5 credits

English I and II (1/2 credit each at cc), world geography, algebra II, chemistry (may take SAT II test), Spanish I and II (1 credit each at cc), psychology (1/2 credit at cc)

12th - this is next year - 7.5 credits

English, government (not sure if this will be at home or at cc, but it will be 1 credit), calculus (not sure if this will be ap level at home or will be done at cc), biology I and II for science majors (1 credit each at cc), chemistry I and II for science majors (1 credit each at cc), programming fundamentals (1/2 credit at cc)

=============================================

My youngest won't be starting high school until next year. Country music is her primary interest and photography is her secondary interest. She is dyslexic, but is reading at grade level now. I don't think she's likely to go to 4-year college, but I would really like for her to at least get an associates. I want to make sure that she is still prepared for university even though I don't think it's likely that she'll go.

My plan for her for 9th grade:

Movies as Literature - 1 credit

US History - 1 credit - not sure if we're going to be using Cicero or OM US History

finish MUS algebra I and move on to MUS geometry - 1 credit

Conceptual Physics - 1 credit

p.e. - 1 credit

music - 1 credit - takes guitar, banjo, and voice lessons and spends at least 1 hour/day practicing between the three

Edited by AngieW in Texas

If you're talking about ps, our schools do 6 or 7, an average of 50 minutes per class.

At our homeschool, we usually do 6 in a year, although last year we did only 5, and my daughter with chronic migraines is only doing 5 again for a second year in a row. We are doing those 5 very thoroughly, and then I'm taking her extra-curricular hobbies -- things she loves to do and spends a lot of time doing anyway -- to make up the extra credits she needs.

Florida requires 24 credits to graduate from a public high school. That's an average of six credits per year.

My son is trying to graduate in three years, bringing a couple of credits from 8th grade into his high school sequence. So, he'll need seven credits per year to make that happen.

We've had a really rough time making school work for us this year. And we just put in place a new routine this past Monday. This makes it hard to define a "typical" day for him. But here's what we're trying now, which has worked for this week, anyway.

My husband wakes him at 7:00 when he leaves for work. He is sitting at his desk by 7:15 and starts on schoolwork while I walk with the dog.

When I get back 30-ish minutes later, he takes a break to shower and dress while I make breakfast. I read aloud while he eats, and he's back to his desk by 9:00.

He takes an hour or so for lunch, during which we also sometimes read aloud.

He continues working until 3:00, assuming he has finished his assignments for the day. If he hasn't finished, he continues working on things until they are done or until it is it time to leave for the day's extracurriculars or outside classes.

So, if he starts at 7:15 and works until 3:00, with a couple of hours taken out for a shower, breakfast and lunch (even though we do read during some meals), that works out to an average of about six hours a day. He has regular assignments in five subjects (math, Spanish, science, English and history) and is earning two more credits through outside activities. Adding it up, it looks like he's taking a little over an hour each day for the five core subjects he does at home.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Locally, the high schoolers public and private are in school 7 hours per day. Those hours include class changes, lunch, homeroom, assemblies and so forth. The two biggest differences I see are 1. Block schedules for the public schoolers 2. Huge differences in homework from one track to another and from one school to another. At the light end it amounts to an additional 5 hours a week. On the heavier end, they are doing an average of 3 hours of homework a day.

We anticipate a fairly consistent 6 hour daily schedule (based on our trial run this year). However, it is not uncommon now/not anticipated to be uncommon going forward to need to do a bit of finish up in the evening or on weekends.

While we go year round, summers are often the time when great opportunities (camps, intensives, jobs) are available so we try not to plan for having summers to complete work.

There never seems to be enough time to do everything we would like to do, but we figure we are not alone in that.

Well, except for science right now, it sounds like his core work is on par with other high schoolers. His average day is about 4 hours. Unfortunately, he isn't doing anything outside his 4 core classes. There are no extracurricular activities. His passion (intense passion per typical Aspie) is video games. He reads about them, studies gaming magazines, and plays games. He isn't interested in computers beyond using them for the internet, and he isn't artistically inclined. He once entertained the idea of video game designer but with no interest in computers and no artistic talent, he decided that was not be something to pursue. His online program, Keystone High School, only requires 21 credits to graduate. Foreign language is part of the electives.

He doesn't have a plan post high school, but we're thinking it will either be a career diploma at a technical school or a 2-yr college.