Menu

If you delay formal grammar, what do you eventually use to teach it?

I'm wondering what grammar curricula would be good if an older child has not had much or any formal grammar instruction. If I wanted to wait until my child was 12 to introduce grammar, what materials could I use to do a one or two year grammar course that would not assume prior grammar knowledge?

Could Rod & Staff English 5 work? I was just looking at online samples and it looks like it covers many of the same topics as R&S English 3.

Any other options?

Thank you!!!

I didn't purposely delay Grammar, but my dd was in PS until the end of 4 th grade and never learned any....so...

Grade 5 we used Easy Grammar...the Red book....

Grade 6 we used Abeka Grade 6 to learn diagramming

Grade 7 we used A Beka Grade 7 to solidify concepts

Grades 8-9 we used Jensen's Grammar and also worked on diagramming sentences from our copy work/ dictation. We used an A Beka Handbook and the Internet when we hit snafus....known as arguments over whonwas diagramming the sentence correctly:D

Grades 10-12 we worked mainly on grammar through her writing assignments, literature/history copy work & dictation....I would have her parse and diagram sentences that seemed of interesting construction.

I did grammar similarly with my next dd....but I started " grammar speak" earlier with her and even earlier with my younger kids. I use copy work and dictation to teach grammar and spelling in the early years.....gives me more bang for the buck.

Good luck!

Faithe

I'm wondering what grammar curricula would be good if an older child has not had much or any formal grammar instruction. If I wanted to wait until my child was 12 to introduce grammar, what materials could I use to do a one or two year grammar course that would not assume prior grammar knowledge?

Could Rod & Staff English 5 work? I was just looking at online samples and it looks like it covers many of the same topics as R&S English 3.

Any other options?

Thank you!!!

Rod & Staff Grammar 5 would work great too. I used it with ds's in 5th grade. That book assumes no prior knowledge of grammar and starts off with easy diagramming, working up to difficult constructs by the end of the book. If you are only going to use one book, this one is a great choice.

Faithe

I didn't purposely delay Grammar, but my dd was in PS until the end of 4 th grade and never learned any....so...

Grade 5 we used Easy Grammar...the Red book....

Grade 6 we used Abeka Grade 6 to learn diagramming

Grade 7 we used A Beka Grade 7 to solidify concepts

Grades 8-9 we used Jensen's Grammar and also worked on diagramming sentences from our copy work/ dictation. We used an A Beka Handbook and the Internet when we hit snafus....known as arguments over whonwas diagramming the sentence correctly:D

Grades 10-12 we worked mainly on grammar through her writing assignments, literature/history copy work & dictation....I would have her parse and diagram sentences that seemed of interesting construction.

I did grammar similarly with my next dd....but I started " grammar speak" earlier with her and even earlier with my younger kids. I use copy work and dictation to teach grammar and spelling in the early years.....gives me more bang for the buck.

Good luck!

Faithe

Thanks, Faithe! I've not seen A Beka's older grammar programs, so I'll check them out.

I like the idea of using "grammar speak" with my children at a young age, without doing a formal program.:001_smile:

Rod & Staff Grammar 5 would work great too. I used it with ds's in 5th grade. That book assumes no prior knowledge of grammar and starts off with easy diagramming, working up to difficult constructs by the end of the book. If you are only going to use one book, this one is a great choice.

Faithe

This is great to know, Faithe!

Easy Grammar.

R&S's English is more comprehensive as it includes composition and things like using reference materials and public speaking.

So I do Easy Grammar, and use something else for writing.

If I stick with Heart of Dakota (and I think I'm going to), then I could do Easy Grammar. HOD has lots of writing instruction in the guides, so I think writing could be well covered without R&S.

Thanks!

I was looking on CBD last night under 9th grade grammar and lots of grammar came up.

Grammar Songs cd with book

Our Mother Tongue with answer key

Winston Grammar Basic

We use FLL, IEW, Prima Latina, and Latina Christiana and have all of the above to use now. I ordered a book called Painless Grammar on Amazon yesterday too. :001_smile: I guess we will use the songs a few times a week and Painless Grammar to supplement, then use Winston Grammar, and move to Our Mother Tongue, as well as keep a Grammar Notebook for the first time.

I have had Shurley Grammar 7 with CD and never used it: I may try it out instead of Our Mother Tongue first. I have alot to use because I have a large family, with a wide range of ages.

I was looking on CBD last night under 9th grade grammar and lots of grammar came up.

Grammar Songs cd with book

Our Mother Tongue with answer key

Winston Grammar Basic

We use FLL, IEW, Prima Latina, and Latina Christiana and have all of the above to use now. I ordered a book called Painless Grammar on Amazon yesterday too. :001_smile: I guess we will use the songs a few times a week and Painless Grammar to supplement, then use Winston Grammar, and move to Our Mother Tongue, as well as keep a Grammar Notebook for the first time.

I have had Shurley Grammar 7 with CD and never used it: I may try it out instead of Our Mother Tongue first. I have alot to use because I have a large family, with a wide range of ages.

I didn't think of looking at CBD. I hadn't heard of some of those options! Thanks! :001_smile:

Ds17 didn't have much grammar before 5th grade when we started homeschooling him. We used Easy Grammar. We used to go to a homeschool English class and ds was the top in his class when it came to grammar by 7th grade. The teacher wouldn't let him answer the question outloud unless no other student could answer it. Then she would ask him, and he would get it.

This teacher, homeschooled her own kids (with high academic standards) and was a public school teacher for years, before moving to tha public school/homeschool hybrid. She felt that Easy Grammar was one of the best programs out there. She liked the simple lessons, repetition and realistic topics. She felt that it taught kids to use good writing skills and grammar usage.

Her thought was....just because a program is the most difficult or challenging, doesn't mean that a student walks away with anything useful.

:iagree: