Menu

Moving to Tampa, FL, need some leads...

We are moving to Tampa (actually Brandon) and I need to know where I can find some good homeschool groups. Does anyone know of coops or social groups, or other support groups for homeschoolers so I can get a head start on getting involved?

I would prefer a Christian group, and one that had academics, too, but any group will be a good start.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
We are moving to Tampa (actually Brandon) and I need to know where I can find some good homeschool groups. Does anyone know of coops or social groups, or other support groups for homeschoolers so I can get a head start on getting involved?

I would prefer a Christian group, and one that had academics, too, but any group will be a good start.

Thanks!!

We're moving to Brandon too! Where are you moving from? We're moving from Texas, but we lived over in Pinellas county Florida 6 years ago. My girls are 10 & almost 9. Hopefully I'll run into you at some point! :)

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

We moved from No. Virginia, and are pretty much settled in now. I'm busy making preparations to start up schooling again, and am looking to socialize with some other homeschool families - we should meet up! Apparently the group called something like Brandon Homeschoolers (https://www.homeschool-life.com/sysfiles/member/custom_public/custom.cfm?memberid=391&customid=3377) meets at the Saladino Park on Thursdays from 2:30-4:00. Have you been there? I went to the FISH one on Friday of last week, just briefly, and got some great info. Apparently, the BHFS group has more people with younger kids. That sounds more like the age of my kiddos, so I'm going to try it out this coming Thursday.

One thing I'd like to do is get together with some other Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool parents, as a sort of support group. I'd like to pursue a more dedicated Ambleside approach to our schooling. If you're interested, let me know - and I'll keep looking for others that might want to join us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info sarahv! I haven't visited any of the groups yet since we're still in Texas. The closing on our house is May 11, & we'll be completely moved in down there by the end of June. I'm nervous about moving but excited to see that there are groups there to check out. Can't wait to meet!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,

We're heading down there in mid-July; DH will be at MacDill. We're looking at living in Pinellas County though - possibly Safety Harbor or Seminole. Can you address homeschooling or living over there?

How's life in Tampa/Brandon so far? Wondering what you think. We're also moving from NoVa (Arlington). Small world :)

Mary

From Northern Virginia! Small world. :) I'm loving the weather. It is getting hot, but there is lots of sunshine. I love that. We found a church that we really like just down the road from MacDill. I like Tampa. It's kind of a sprawling city, so it's nice to drive through. The SunPass toll road is kind of a bother, and rather expensive, too, but we've found ways around it so far. It's kind of hard to get around. We've done some city driving to by-pass it. My husband's stubborn. :lol:

Brandon is somewhat congested for my taste (I was hoping for a little less traffic coming from DC, you know), but there are lots of little shops. Tampa is like that too. It makes for fun shopping. I like it so much better than Dale City/Manassas - which is where we were living. We live in an older neighborhood (I think the houses were built in the 60's) and we have a whole acre! It's fabulous. Big back yard, quiet street, friendly neighbors, and just down the road from all the shopping centers. The park day (Brandon Home School Group) has been a ton of fun for the kids, and I've been able to meet some other homeschool moms. This is a fairly close-knit homeschool community, I think. They have a very home-town feel about them. It's nice.

I've also found a place called the Homeschool Resource. The group is Tampa Bay Heat (tampabayheat.org), and they have a book store along with a central place for classes and meetings. It's very nice as well. I'll probably get involved there.

Looking forward to meeting you all when you get down here! We have a get-together this Monday for CM interested moms, so let me know when you want to join us! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it looks like we will be relocating from Loudoun County, VA to Tampa area - DH will be working in St. Petersburg (Carillion something or another is the immediate area) so we are looking a bit to the north (Waterchase, Palm Harbor, Carrollwood). Any advice? DH was down there last week and shell shocked from our 3 acre western Loudoun country-ish surrounds...

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's country at all. I asked a friend how far out do you need to go to get country, and she felt about 1/2 hour to the east from where we live (Brandon). My husband works in St. Pete and it's a pretty long commute. It's pretty metropolitan around here. But then, Florida "country" is a far cry from the beautiful Virginia countryside, IMHO. Florida has "other beautiful" to consider.:001_smile:

I'm not too familiar with the different areas yet, but if you have questions about a particular area, I can give a shout out to our local homeschool group. They can answer lots of questions since many of them have been here all their lives.

Love all these NOVA folks moving down! We are actually on our house hunting trip this week from Arlington, VA. The areas we thought we would love, we didn't. Isn't that the way with the internet sometimes. We've driven pretty much everywhere, so happy to give our thoughts on specific areas if you have questions.

We are down to two areas - Carrollwood (in Tampa), and Countryside (in Clearwater). Anyone able to address either of them for homeschooling or just life in general? DH starts at MacDill in one month.

Thanks!

Way cool! We should totally get together at a park sometime in the fall. NoVA WTM that all moved in 2012. Pretty specialized group. haha.

And anyone else WTM, who might not be NoVA related would be invited, too, of course!

Welcome!! We're loving it here in the sun!

Love all these NOVA folks moving down! We are actually on our house hunting trip this week from Arlington, VA. The areas we thought we would love, we didn't. Isn't that the way with the internet sometimes. We've driven pretty much everywhere, so happy to give our thoughts on specific areas if you have questions.

We are down to two areas - Carrollwood (in Tampa), and Countryside (in Clearwater). Anyone able to address either of them for homeschooling or just life in general? DH starts at MacDill in one month.

Thanks!

I've had my eye on Carrollwood too. DH said it reminded him of our old neighborhood in Arlington... Also looking at Waterchase and Palm Harbor. DH did some driving around to check out some homes, but I haven't been yet. I have a feeling I'll be the same way in terms of loving some places until I get there. I'd like to PM you if you don't mind. DH will be down there working in St. Pete starting mid-July just as we get the house on the market.

• 6 months later...
Guest aaasjordan

I realize this discussion was posted almost a year ago. However, I am hoping I can get some information that will help our family. Our family will be relocating to the area this coming summer. My husband will be working on MacDill. I wanted to ask if I could get information on Homeschool coops/groups. Also, any information I can get about areas to live would be great as well. We are trying to decide whether we want to try to live on base or in the surrounding area. We would also like something that has a small town feel or a more country feel as we are moving from TN. Thank you. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi aaasjordan!

We moved to Tampa from California in July of 2012, and we found a place just outside MacDill. The neighborhood is officially called Port Tampa. While it's not the most suburban and safest of places, we like its more semi-rural setting and its proximity to the base.

We're starting our homeschool journey in a few months with 1st Grade for DD, so I don't have lots of experience with groups/coops in South Tampa. One thing I have noticed is that a handful of families do some homeschooling and afterschooling at the YMCA.

Good Luck and feel free to private message me with more questions about Tampa!