Menu

How do you teach a science that you just don't feel like teaching?

stephanie

I have my Bachelors of Science in Nursing, and I love science. However, I just can't seem to get excited about physics I could do animals, plants, and astronomy all year long, but physics????? I really need to do this with my dc since we've never really covered it, but how can I give them the exposure they need without slacking? I ordered the book, Physics for Children, recommended by TWTM for a start. However, looking through it does not interest me. So I know it will need to be done, but what are some ideas to make it a little more interesting for mom?!

I'm sorry not to be any help, because I find I do the same thing. I've finally decided that doing any science during the school year is a good thing. So during years when I'm supposed to be doing chemistry and physics (which I do schedule, I just don't follow through with everything), as long as I do some of them, I don't stress out if I also cover biology, earth science, etc.

For physics, I really do like the Science in a Nutshell kits, which I've owned for years. I know they're harder to come by now and more expensive, since RRC doesn't carry them any more.

skip it for now, and teach what you love. Your enthusiasm will be contagious, and you will all enjoy learning. When your dc are in high school, you can outsource it or let them take an online course.

Don't sweat the small stuff :tongue_smilie:

I am not fond of physics either. I am using Gizmos and Gadgets for my 3/4 grader. It is a Kids Can book, available in most libaries. It's making hands on fun things that are interesting. The explanations of the physical laws are in book. It is not as in depth as some but enough for twice a week for the year. I don't think grammar stage needs a whole lot of depth. You can check out a few deeper books, a couple of magic school bus videos, etc.

also K'Nex and Legos have some kits that help with physics.

There is a cool computer games called Crazy machines: The Wacky Contraptions that my kids adore.

I ended up outsourcing for Physics and Chemistry, and it has been wonderful to have an enthusiastic, passionate teacher teach my kids these subjects. I don't think they missed anything for not having covered anything much before now. They are ages 12 and 14 and he teaches them the important stuff they need to know before doing higher level science....I just could not have done it, and I am so glad I didn't try, although I did feel guilty for not trying for a long time!

How old are they? I think I'd buy some funky looking kits and make them responsible for teaching me why it was so interesting! I'd give them an A+ if they managed. I couldn't even do year 10 physics!

:)

Rosie

They're only 9,8, and 6. I know it's going to be just experiments, but I'm having trouble getting excited about that! I could dig in the dirt all day, dissect bugs, and go on nature walks, but physics just isn't my thing!

How about getting a couple of friends together and doing physics as a group? I like the Adventures in Science Kits, "How Things Work" and "Color and Light." Having each child get a kit ($10) will make gathering supplies a non-issue. Getting a group together is what works for me!

Independent kits.

Videos or a video course.

A co-op taught by someone else.

Library books at their independent reading level on various physics topics.

Physics topics to give you an idea of the WIDE range of possible things to enjoy studying:

- motion

- friction

- gravity

- heat

- energy

- light

- optics

- lenses

- lasers

- optical illustions

- prisms / rainbows

- sound

- electricity

- magnetism

- nuclear physics

- radioactivity

- fission

- fusion

- reactors

- flight

- rockets

- simple machines

(gears, pulleys, levers, wedges, screws, etc.)

- structures

(putting physics to work in buildings and machines)

- inventors / inventions

Maybe check out this recent thread on grammar stage physics for more ideas -- I posted a ton of video, book, and kit ideas in this thread, which could all add up to a pretty painless physics year for you! (lol):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33990

And sorry you're not into physics -- it's my favorite! BEST of luck, Lori D.

My husband and I have an agreement. Since I absolutely can't stand physics (not so hot on chemistry either) I decide what pages and experiments need to be done each day, then I hand it over to my husband. He does all the reading and experiments with my ds. Since we have science scheduled 3 days a week, it's not too much of an imposition on my husbands limited free time. Sometimes, I get my 16 year old son to conduct the reading and lesson. Honestly, if I had to beg to get someone else to teach physics, I would.

So I know it will need to be done, but what are some ideas to make it a little more interesting for mom?!

Why does it need to be done? I happen not to care for physics either, but even if I did, I doubt I'd consider it a particular for import for young children (I think you said ages 9, 8, and 6?). I use the Apologia Elementary series for my younger set. We've covered astronomy, botany, and a couple of the zoology books. I actually don't think "studying" science is even necessary at this stage, and science experiments don't come into the picture here. The boys delve into the life sciences and enjoy that immensely. I feel no need whatsoever to "do" physics at this stage simply because it's included in the WTM science rotation or whatever.

I know you have a rising 7th grader as well, and I would have him start moving into a more formal study of science. Apologia General Science (which you mentioned in another post) is a fine choice. My son used it this past year and is now moving on to the Physical Science text. Since he's not a physical science person either, I doubt it'll be his favorite subject. He's really looking forward to studying Biology in-depth, and I told him Physical Science is a stepping stone in that direction.

Hope this helps!

Why does it need to be done? I happen not to care for physics either, but even if I did, I doubt I'd consider it a particular for import for young children (I think you said ages 9, 8, and 6?).

:iagree: I just wouldn't worry about physics at this age. At most, I might find some interesting library books on physics-related topics. But I wouldn't stress out about it for young kids.

Noeo Science. They look like they can even make physics interesting! :) If money were tight, you could just purchase the TM for 20 bucks and get the books from the library. My library has most if not all of them.

Also, Timberdoodle has some reasonable little electronic gizmo thingies that you could make and learn a lot from. They look neat and I don't like physics, either.

HTH,

Dee in Sunny FL!

Noeo Science. They look like they can even make physics interesting! :) If money were tight, you could just purchase the TM for 20 bucks and get the books from the library. My library has most if not all of them.

Also, Timberdoodle has some reasonable little electronic gizmo thingies that you could make and learn a lot from. They look neat and I don't like physics, either.

HTH,

Dee in Sunny FL!

I was looking at Noeo as well. It looks fun and easy!

I have my Bachelors of Science in Nursing, and I love science. However, I just can't seem to get excited about physics I could do animals, plants, and astronomy all year long, but physics????? I really need to do this with my dc since we've never really covered it, but how can I give them the exposure they need without slacking? I ordered the book, Physics for Children, recommended by TWTM for a start. However, looking through it does not interest me. So I know it will need to be done, but what are some ideas to make it a little more interesting for mom?!

We just finished a year of physics with Physics Experiments for Children (the WTM rec). I know what you mean about looking through the book and not getting excited - there aren't all those colourful pictures you see in more modern books. And I didn't even know what physics was until just a few years ago!

HOWEVER...just to let you know that each time we did an experiment from the book, it didn't take very long, which surprised me. Most of them take maybe 15 minutes to do. The long part was writing about it afterwards (I used the WTM writing suggestions for grammar stage science). But the actual gathering of supplies and doing the exp. didn't take long. And, each exp. gave the kids and me a simple glimpse into the unseen physics world, and I am glad I did it with them.

Occasionally I supplemented with a library video, and the kids play with Legos and K'nex....but those simple experiments lightly touched on areas that they will come across again later.

I agree with teach what you love at those ages, and let them watch some appropriate videos. If it makes you feel any better, I never had any physics until college, and I still managed to get a PhD in the sciences without any problem.

I agree with teach what you love at those ages, and let them watch some appropriate videos. If it makes you feel any better, I never had any physics until college, and I still managed to get a PhD in the sciences without any problem.

That does make me feel better, Thanks!

What if the subjects I don't care to teach are English and Math? :D Sooner or later we all have to teach subjects we aren't crazy about. Kids aren't exactly begging to learn everything we have to teach. So if I expect my kid to learn subjects she doesn't care for, I must teach even undesirable subjects with a good attitude. I find that when one has struggled through a subject, they have the potential to teach it even better than the teacher who can breeze through. If you don't care for physics, you can still teach it, and teach it well, especially if a group will be showing up at your house! :grouphug:

What if the subjects I don't care to teach are English and Math? :D Sooner or later we all have to teach subjects we aren't crazy about. Kids aren't exactly begging to learn everything we have to teach. So if I expect my kid to learn subjects she doesn't care for, I must teach even undesirable subjects with a good attitude. I find that when one has struggled through a subject, they have the potential to teach it even better than the teacher who can breeze through. If you don't care for physics, you can still teach it, and teach it well, especially if a group will be showing up at your house! :grouphug:

You're right about that! It really puts the pressure on to have other kids to teach as well. The only problem is that I am not surrounded by many h'sers, and the ones I know would be a tough group to teach to. They can be a little difficult!

What if the subjects I don't care to teach are English and Math?

You make a good point, Tami, but I think we have to consider the context of the question at hand. I seriously doubt the vast majority of people in this world who have excelled in the field of physics were being formally exposed to the topic at age 6 or 8. Not every subject is vitally important at every stage.

If you don't care for physics, you can still teach it, and teach it well, especially if a group will be showing up at your house!

I certainly agree that our attitude and presentation are of import ~ I'm with you there! But I didn't read where Stephanie said she'd be teaching a group. Did I miss that?

The only problem is that I am not surrounded by many h'sers, and the ones I know would be a tough group to teach to. They can be a little difficult!

Yes, well there's where a unit on simple machines using handcuffs may come in quite handy. "Put your hands behind your backs, everyone!" :D

The question posed was "How can I teach" not "Do I have to teach?" My post was directed at the OP's question, not addressed to the question as to whether teaching physics is necessary. I'm not sure why you are feeling the need to interject here, but if my posts are confusing feel free to ignore t hem. :confused: :001_huh: :D

to keep in your back pocket. I hate physics. I taught three physics classes last year and actually enjoyed myself. Why? Was I magically converted to Physics? Nope. I brought in things I really enjoy: music, movement, games. I love group-ey stuff more than 1:1 science. I also read tidbits and factoids, which I LOVE, about the history of physics. Do you like the personal aspect of a subject? I was wondering whether reading a book for yourself such as Joy Hakim's History of Science (the one with Einstein) might help you along.

I also make a mental list of how teaching this subject will actually be of benefit. For example: good role modeling, learning something new, teaching the subject as a lower level will make teaching it at the Jr. High or High School level much easier on myself, I'm becoming more flexible, yada yada. Looking at the positive really helps me. I psych myself up/

I really detest certain subjects. Some are core and some are content. I have had success teaching them anyway! It doesn't need to deter one from teaching physics or anything else you set your mind to. This is where my stubborn streak comes in handy, heh heh! You just have to find your inner Strong-Willed Child and you can do anything. ;)

to keep in your back pocket. I hate physics. I taught three physics classes last year and actually enjoyed myself. Why? Was I magically converted to Physics? Nope. I brought in things I really enjoy: music, movement, games. I love group-ey stuff more than 1:1 science. I also read tidbits and factoids, which I LOVE, about the history of physics. Do you like the personal aspect of a subject? I was wondering whether reading a book for yourself such as Joy Hakim's History of Science (the one with Einstein) might help you along.

I also make a mental list of how teaching this subject will actually be of benefit. For example: good role modeling, learning something new, teaching the subject as a lower level will make teaching it at the Jr. High or High School level much easier on myself, I'm becoming more flexible, yada yada. Looking at the positive really helps me. I psych myself up/

I really detest certain subjects. Some are core and some are content. I have had success teaching them anyway! It doesn't need to deter one from teaching physics or anything else you set your mind to. This is where my stubborn streak comes in handy, heh heh! You just have to find your inner Strong-Willed Child and you can do anything. ;)

Thanks, Tami. I'm diggin' the ol' handcuffs kit! Are there enough to cuff 7 children? He! He!

The question posed was "How can I teach" not "Do I have to teach?" My post was directed at the OP's question, not addressed to the question as to whether teaching physics is necessary. I'm not sure why you are feeling the need to interject here, but if my posts are confusing feel free to ignore them

What a hurtful response! You are right and I am wrong; Stephanie did ask how she should teach it, not whether it was necessary. It's natural in discussion to bring in additional thoughts and ideas. Very often, people post on these boards and receive replies that are not necessarily answering the specific question. And very often, people appreciate and benefit from all the replies nonetheless ~ I know I have!:) Or, if some of the replies don't resonate with me, that's okay, too. I "felt the need to interject here" because we're conversing. That's what discussion boards are about. And no, your post didn't "confuse" me. I genuinely wondered if Stephanie was going to be teaching a group ~ whether I'd missed that ~ after reading your comment to that effect. So I was just asking.

teaching the subject as a lower level will make teaching it at the Jr. High or High School level much easier on myself,

You just have to find your inner Strong-Willed Child and you can do anything. ;)

I agree, and LOL about the inner child!

I'll encourage you, Stephanie, one more time - those Physics book experiments are really easy! :)

PS: my dd just went to a robotics camp where the kids design their own robot and write the software to make it sense it's surroundings. I signed her up simply because we completed a physics rotation last yeear. Guess what? She was the only girl. The technology museum conveyed to me that girls are not being signed up for summer camps at all, to speak of. I am glad to give my daughter and myself a little extra nudge in the areas of math and science.

The robotics camp is not one she would have 'naturally' signed up for. However, she had a blast and enjoyed the experience immensely.

For what it's worth.