Menu

If you're a forgetful person...

What have you found useful in remembering things?

I just had to call the owner of our businesses building because I found the rent check in my purse. :glare: Luckily the family who owns the building are really nice and I don't do this often so they are not charging a late fee. (yes that means it's been done before) But I'm realizing I'm to the point of needing a check list for what should be minor things. I shouldn't NEED a check list to remind me to drop rent at the post office.

Astrid (on my smartphone) and Google Calendar with reminders. Astrid also integrates with Google Calendar, so I can "see" everything together.

I also make a up weekly calendar for the kids' benefit.

A routine, doing things the same way every time. I always put my keys in the same place. I have a place for everything and, as much as I can, I keep things on a routine. I pay certain bills on a certain day of the month. I have as much as I can on autopay through the bank. I have a really hard time getting a check written, in the envelope, stamped and in the mail. It's much easier to let someone else do that. I use my phone to keep my calendar. I set reminder alarms for things I need to remember on my phone. I also keep notes there for grocery lists, the location of my car in certain parking lots, to do lists, etc..

Lists.

Cross them off.

I panic when I lose my lists, so I learned to make them on notepad just in case...

:iagree:lists, lists, and more lists. If it is not written down it is not remembered. Calendars and lists. I have notebooks on the go in all rooms, in my purse, in my car etc, just so I can jot a note down to remind myself of things.

Don't procrastinate. Do something when you remember it and don't tell yourself, "I'll do that later." Do things early. So that way, when it's the 25th of the month and you think, "Oh yeah, I need to remember to send the rent check in," then stop right there, write the check and get it in the mail. I've never heard of a landlord complain about getting the rent early :001_smile:

If I absolutely cannot do it then, I'll send a text to my husband. It will help him remember, or it will help me remember later when I'm texting him again and see the message again. I've also emailed myself and set alarms on my phone.

Checking the calendar is a habit you must create. A calendar will be useless if you never check it.

A routine, doing things the same way every time. I always put my keys in the same place. I have a place for everything and, as much as I can, I keep things on a routine. I pay certain bills on a certain day of the month. I have as much as I can on autopay through the bank.

:iagree:

I remember my mother always losing things and it drove me batty as a kid.

Our keys and cell phones stay in one location (unless they're in use). Medications are in one place.

Double check before leaving the house.

If I have a couple of errands and some are important (bank, post office), I will make a list on a post it and keep that out in the car.

When I have a bill that needs to be mailed, I put it in my wallet - not loose in my purse. I keep a printout of monthly bills and check them off as I pay them. That also helps me in budgeting. I used a spreadsheet and can see 6 months at a time.

I'd also get past the "shouldn't" thinking.

Doesn't matter whether you should or shouldn't... you do need a list... so keep one :) I am lucky and started needing to write everything down not long after having my son, so I blame him for stealing my brain cells.

Reminders on my phone. I set an alarm for certain things to remind me to send the kids off at certain times.

I have a planner that is very important. I write down who I paid and when - it has helped me prove something that I never would have remembered without it!!

Post-it notes...EVERYWHERE!

A calandar book...which I have trained myself to look at on Sunday for the week and the POST-IT note myself reminders

My cell phone alarm for my daily schedule/ routine. Yes, I forget to make lunch or move up the laundry....I am intense like that:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

ETA...My keys are on a big laundry pin which I pin to my purse before getting out of the car or I lose them. Meds stay in my Rosie the Riveter Lunch box...or I forget where I put them....

I put everything I need to remember...appointments, phone calls, whatever...in Google calendar which is set to email me a reminder 24 hours before the "event".

I have my Gmail account set up to show unread emails on top. I don't mark any email that requires my response as read, especially those event reminders from my calendar, until they are done. That way, I have a reminder every time I look at my email.