Menu

low cost vacuum for bare floors?

We have 3 dogs and two cats. Two of the dogs have long, shedding, awful hair. The remaining dog and the cats have short shedding hair. I also have a 2 year old that throws everything on the ground and a 12 year old that tracks in dirt constantly. My husband killed my vacuum by using it (many times over a weekend) for drywall debris, floor debris, concrete, etc. :glare:

I've been using the shop vac since then but hate it. I need a real vacuum. I don't have tons to spend. So no $300 models please! What should I get? Canister? Stick Vac? Other? I just bought an upright but it kicks back the dirt a bit, even on the bare floor setting, and just seems like the wrong tool for the job, given that we now have zero carpet.

I know this is going to sound like a foolish option, but when I still had my carpet-the-floor-daily newfie mix, I loved my Eureka stick vac. Picked up cheerios too. It's super cheap - $15-20 I think. I have a "real" vacuum now, and a Hoover Lynx cordless. I like the cordless well enough, but still miss the Eureka. I took it to my mom's cottage, where it has survived a flood and is still going gangbusters.

I know this is going to sound like a foolish option, but when I still had my carpet-the-floor-daily newfie mix, I loved my Eureka stick vac. Picked up cheerios too. It's super cheap - $15-20 I think. I have a "real" vacuum now, and a Hoover Lynx cordless. I like the cordless well enough, but still miss the Eureka. I took it to my mom's cottage, where it has survived a flood and is still going gangbusters.

Is this like the one you're referring to? ...

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-166DX-Lightweight-Stick-Vacuum/dp/B000B7BWGS

I'm looking for a small vacuum for my kitchen. I think cordless would be ideal, but if it works well, a corded vac would do.

Is the Eureka very loud?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Is this like the one you're referring to? ...

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-166DX-Lightweight-Stick-Vacuum/dp/B000B7BWGS

I'm looking for a small vacuum for my kitchen. I think cordless would be ideal, but if it works well, a corded vac would do.

Is the Eureka very loud?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Looks a bit updated, but this must be the new version of mine, I think. It's not as loud as a big vac, but it's not especially quiet. I can still play chase-the-babies, but the pets don't go crazy. ;) They have a cordless version now, I see. I'm feeling tempted by rug-to-bare cordless myself, now.

We have long-haired Belgian Shepherd who sheds a lot, and hard floors. I spent about $43 on a Bissell Powerforce Bagless. It has been a wonderful vacuum ! It is lightweight but powerful and great with the hair, and easy to clean. Only caveats are the cord is very short so I need an extension cord, and I use the Dustbuster to clean the donut-shaped filter - it would be very hard to clean that filter without the Dustbuster. But it's working out so well ! It is even easy to vacuum the stairs with it !

I had a Hoover Lynx cordless but gave it away. It is a great vac but didn't work well for us with our dogs. The Australian Shep sheads mini dogs most days:tongue_smilie: and the vac got plugged up really easily.

If you are wanting it for hard surface floors I love my dust mop. It is fast, easy, I have several heads for it so always have a clean one handy. God mine at Target for around $12.

For big vacc. I have a very old electrolux upright and have always loved it. I think it is about 25 yrs old and going strong.

We have long-haired Belgian Shepherd who sheds a lot, and hard floors. I spent about $43 on a Bissell Powerforce Bagless. It has been a wonderful vacuum ! It is lightweight but powerful and great with the hair, and easy to clean. Only caveats are the cord is very short so I need an extension cord, and I use the Dustbuster to clean the donut-shaped filter - it would be very hard to clean that filter without the Dustbuster. But it's working out so well ! It is even easy to vacuum the stairs with it !

I actually just bought that one today. I just feel like it isn't the right vacuum for just bare floors...I think I need one without a rotating brush, if that makes sense? And man, I agree about that filter! Looking at it makes it seem really hard to clean.

I had a Hoover Lynx cordless but gave it away. It is a great vac but didn't work well for us with our dogs. The Australian Shep sheads mini dogs most days:tongue_smilie: and the vac got plugged up really easily.

If you are wanting it for hard surface floors I love my dust mop. It is fast, easy, I have several heads for it so always have a clean one handy. God mine at Target for around $12.

For big vacc. I have a very old electrolux upright and have always loved it. I think it is about 25 yrs old and going strong.

I got the Lynx for the cordless and roller brush on/off options, but it never worked as well as the Eureka, and the roller brush just stopped working. Oh well.

Hmm...that has a pretty short cord. How much dirt does it hold compared to a bigger model? I like that it is lightweight, but when I say we have a LOT of hair on the floor I mean a LOT of hair...tumbleweeds like crazy.

My old one has a decent length cord, not sure about this new one. The canister isn't very big, but it can really pack it in. It was useful for me as an every day or every other day quick run. If I waited a week, I'd have to empty it out before finishing. I agree about wanting brushless for your floors.

I'd go with a cannister for hard floors. Uprights seem to toss dirt and hair around and only pick up some of it because the suction is on one side and not all across the front of a nozzle. Your cheapest option may be a wide, bare floor nozzle for your shopvac. I've use a kennmore canister for years and it's much better than a broom on hard floors. They do have a small, $100 canister that would probably last a few years.

I also prefer a bagged vacuum. I had bagless once and I hated the way it fluffed up the dirt so I had to empty it every time I vacuumed. I also didn't like the dst cloud I got. I always felt dirty after vacuuming. I think bags are cleaner with less fuss.

This one might be a bit too much for you but I have it and it works well. http://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Cleaner-NV22L/dp/B002IPHBNE

It has 2 settings--1 with a rotating brush for carpet and 1 without for hard floors. It is just a click to go from one to the other. It picks up SO much that I don't know if I should be proud of my vacuum or ashamed of my housekeeping skills :-)

The cord is quite long and the dust cup is easy to empty. It is also lightweight. I was worried about it breaking as it is lightweight (my previous one was a Kirby) but so far, so good.

Ok, so I think I have it narrowed down to a stick vacuum, or this canister vacuum: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eureka-Maxima-11-Amp-Canister-Vacuum-Model-972B/3913746

The canister has a longer cord, and probably more capacity..but it uses bags which I haven't used in years.

THE WORST vacuum I have ever owned was a cheap eureka upright. I bought it because I was tight on money that year and the vacuum was cheaper than the part I needed to fix my 10-year-old kenmore (the main brush head). I learned more about how vacuums worked that year than I ever cared to know because I had to fix something every time I used it. It had filters that I had to clean each time and it was always clogged somewhere. I only have one dog!!! I was always frustrated. I was so happy to toss that yellow monstrosity and buy the part for my kenmore. I filled the bag vacuuming the house ONCE with all the stuff the eureka left behind. It usually takes weeks or months to fill a bag. I appreciate it every time I use it now.

I had a Shark stick vac (probably the original from about 9 years ago) for years and I really loved it. I used it all over the tile floors. It has a brush but it doesn't throw the dirt around, it goes right into the little compartment.

I think it would be most similar to this one.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15293292&RN=912&

Then DH got me an upgrade a few years ago for Christmas, more like this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18514176&RN=912&

I don't really like it at all. It's bigger and more to handle, it doesn't just roll across the floor like the other one.

I think I'm going to go back to the cheap one.