Menu

Resources for Leonardo da Vinci study?

We are going to study Leonardo da Vinci for art appreciation for the first 2 months of our school year. What are some good resources I can use for this study? I would like some age-appropriate biographies, a good book or two of his artwork, and lots of hands-on suggestions. I need resources for K-level, upper elementary level and middle-school level. Also, any website suggestions you have would be great also. TIA for your help.

I was going to get these things for ours, but they got cut out of my final list. Too bad money has to run out :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Leonardo Da Vinci for kids

Leonardo Da Vinci - Diane Stanley

RR sells both of those, too. I was also going to get art stickers/art prints, coloring books from Dover that had him in it.

Wowio has free books for download, including: Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself.

:iagree:

Last summer, I did a Leonardo da Vinci camp for my dc & a few friends. Mainly, I used projects out of the "Amazing Leonardo..." book & also from "Leonardo da Vinci for Kids". We had a great time & pretty much most of the projects turned out great.

I don't remember the exact titles of the projects we did, but here's a list of at least some of the things I remember us doing:

- making a mask (we used rigid wrap & these turned out so fantastically -- I can give more details if anyone does this project)

- grinding/making our own pigments & painting (smelled yummy!; "Marguerite Makes a Book" is a great go-along w/ this type of project, even though the book is not specifically about da Vinci)

- drawing using perspective

- making Leonardo's plastic (this one didn't work for us)

- planted a Renaissance herb garden

- made a Renaissance banner

- Leonardo's webbed gloves

- parachute

- wind-measuing device

- humidity-measuring device

- lute

- bird seed feeders (he was a big fan of birds)

- made minestrone soup (he was vegetarian)

- camera obscura

At the end of the week, I had one of those stand-up cardboard display things (the 3-sectioned type) for each child & they created a display of the week's projects. We also got prints of the bunches of photos we took for them to cut-up/use on their display boards. Each child created their own display & then we did a show & tell among the group. Plus, it was a nice thing to take home at the end of the week to show their dads &/or other family & friends.

The other books that have been recommended already are great too. Was Leonardo's Horse mentioned yet? There are a few others, but I would need to go find them on dc's shelves to remember the exact titles.

Have fun!

The video "The Life of Leonardo da Vinci" is excellent. It was originally broadcast as a TV special (over several evenings) in the early 1970s; however, it doesn't seem outdated at all. It's absolutely beautiful.

We have the video version of this, and it's just like the TV special (which I remember vividly). Unfortunately, the reviews of the DVD version say that parts were cut out. I'd still recommend watching it, though, because it's such a great resource.

Here is a site I found a while ago when looking for things on Leonardo Da Vinci: http://www.surfnetkids.com/davinci.htm

It has links to wonderful sites on him, all kid friendly, and interesting.

There is also a wonderful book, Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself, that is supposed to be for 5th through 8th graders--I've looked through it, and, sadly, I believe that my building skills are well below that of a third grader (I know they are well below that of my 9 yo daughter), so I didn't buy it, but it looks really good.

Good luck!

Kiran