Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 10

Had to get this post in under the wire!! I finished book #10 just now on my Kindle ap. Yippee! I'm caught up :D Book #10 was Cotillion by Georgette Heyer. What a sweet book! I loved the characters and have to admit to chuckling out loud on more than one occasion. Totally different from the only other Heyer book I have read (The Conqueror about William the Conqueror). I think I will seek out a few more of her books.

My girls went to their grandparents today for a week. Maybe I'll forgo all the spring cleaning and just read while they are gone :tongue_smilie:

"Cotillion" by Georgette Heyer

"Pride and Prescience" by Carrie Bebris

"Ophelia" by Lisa Klein

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard

"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare

"The Sisters Grimm" by Michael Buckley

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J. K. Rowling

"The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan

"Henry V" by William Shakespeare

"The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say my rating of a 3 means "quite good, I enjoyed it, worth reading". There are probably only a handful of mysteries I'd ever rate higher than 3 stars ("Curtain" by Agatha Christie & some of Alan Bradley's Flavia books get a 4); I consider mysteries fun, 'pulp' fiction type reads -- entertaining, one-time reads -- many of which fall into a solid '3' rating for me. I tend to reserve 4 stars more for the hard, challenging, lyrical 'literary' type books &/or books that just really wow me, if that makes sense.

I get it :) . I was interpreting 3 stars more along the lines of aggieamy where it means nothing special. Thanks for clarifying. I have renewed hope for Suspect X :tongue_smilie:.

I decided to browse the library and pick a few books since I'm reading books in only 2 series. The first one I got, The Pact, which I wrote about in this thread, was fantastic. The second one is horrid. Frost on my Moustache: The Artic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer. I was looking at books about Shackleton and found both of those books in that section. So, I'm dropping that second book. The third I picked up is a juvenile book, May Bird and the Ever After, Book One. I have higher hopes for this one.

I just finished reading 'The Princess Bride' to dd. I'm so sad the "original script" is just a plot device. I should have liked to read the 97 pages, or whatever the author said it was, about Buttercup's Royalty School experiences!

:crying:

Rosie

Me too. However, I'm sure my boys are happy it was edited out.

I finished Goethe's, Faust.

In a totally different vein- Astrid Lindgren's- The Brothers Lionheart.

Has anyone here read that? It completely flummoxed me. I was thinking something like Pippi Longstocking but instead had sacrifice, death, suffering, pacifism, suicide, more needless suffering and freedom fighters. I cried for the first 5 pages- but then I have a chronically I'll child of my own.

The ending was especially troublesome for me.... still haven't resolved it in my head. My 17 yo says that's just because I'm reading it from too much of a mom perspective.