Menu

Ear Infections in 7 year old - Can I Prevent?

My ds7 is on his third ear infection since this last November. Before that he had one ear infection a year the last 3 years (2010, 2009,2008). We're being sent to an ENT to have his adnoids checked out.

DS has had more colds than usually this year and he's not great at blowing his nose :glare: Plus, he's skiied a lot this winter, so is up and down the mountain once a week (pressure change????)

Anyone have a kiddo like this? Remedies? Prevention tips?

Thanks Dr. Hive!

My dd used to get ear infections all the time. At the doctor during one of her visits, they used the Elephant Ear Wash on her and cleaned out her ears with a mixture of warm water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. I got one for home use and I use it on her every few weeks when she feels like she needs it. She hasn't had a single ear infection since we started using it. You could ask your family doctor if he thinks it would be helpful for your ds.

Any chance of a dairy allergy?

:iagree: A dairy allergy or sensitivity can really increase the frequency of ear infections. Cutting all dairy out of his diet might make a big difference. It usually takes a couple of weeks for all the dairy proteins to completely leave the body.

lots of water - hydration makes a big difference

mucinex to thin secretions

decongestants

anti-histamines on a regular basis

also pay attention to if any of the congestion that preceeds the infection is affected by what he's eating. some foods will cause congestion, then it doesn't take much for a cold to push it into an infection.

Another vote for eliminating dairy and using hydrogen peroxide at the first sign of ear pain.

DS used to have frequent ear infections. They've mostly stopped since removing dairy.

When either of the kids complains of ear pain, we do the following:

- have them lie down on their side and pour a small capful of hydrogen peroxide in their eardrum. Have them lie still for about 10 min. (the HP will bubble a bit - that's normal).

- put a towel on their ear as they sit up, drain the ear, and then do the same on the other side.

Since we've started using HP, neither child has had an ear infection. After doing this, the ear pain is gone no later than the next day. I've used it on myself a few times too, and am amazed at how quickly it works!

Do you know what's causing them? If the ear isn't drying out completely (like after showering and swimming), you can help that along by using ear drops. A 1:1 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol (you don't have to believe me - you can check the internets) can be very helpful. The alcohol helps with drying and the white vinegar fights the bacteria. The vinegar smell dissipates in a few minutes.

We used these when I worked at a summer camp. The kids all joked about smelling like salad after they came out of the lake and got their drops.

Do you know what's causing them? If the ear isn't drying out completely (like after showering and swimming), you can help that along by using ear drops. A 1:1 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol (you don't have to believe me - you can check the internets) can be very helpful. The alcohol helps with drying and the white vinegar fights the bacteria. The vinegar smell dissipates in a few minutes.

We used these when I worked at a summer camp. The kids all joked about smelling like salad after they came out of the lake and got their drops.

:iagree:

We do this during the summer to prevent outer ear infections. If the infections are inner ear, it will not help.