Menu

Yet Another Diet Question ~ Gary Taubes

Then by accident, i got ahold of a book called Strong Women Stay Strong about using weights to keep muscle mass as you age

I believe you will have to add in weight bearing exercise into your life if you want to be able to keep fat off.

I like that book too, and I agree with you. Lifting weights is crucial. I've been using The New Rules of Lifting for Women for several months, and I believe that really helped my body to start changing shape. I've dropped nearly 4 pant sizes--probably from the all the squats and lunges.

It's hard. Weight lifting exhausts me, but I think it is supposed to. One day I had to crawl up the stairs afterwards, because my legs were shot. Monday of this week I had to lie down for about an hour after lifting, because my whole body was so weak from the effort. But wow. Does it make me feel great and it is changing the shape of my body.

I like that book too, and I agree with you. Lifting weights is crucial. I've been using The New Rules of Lifting for Women for several months, and I believe that really helped my body to start changing shape. I've dropped nearly 4 pant sizes--probably from the all the squats and lunges.

It's hard. Weight lifting exhausts me, but I think it is supposed to. One day I had to crawl up the stairs afterwards, because my legs were shot. Monday of this week I had to lie down for about an hour after lifting, because my whole body was so weak from the effort. But wow. Does it make me feel great and it is changing the shape of my body.

I know, right?! I am only on week 12 so I am still transitioning to more weights but i do have two days of "jello legs and arms"! It is so motivating to watch my stomach get flatter and arms and thighs get toned...

Dropping 4 pant sizes...that is fantastic! You go, girl :)

I ordered the Primal Blueprint diet cookbook yesterday. I like to mark up my cookbooks.

I went to MarksDailyApple.com and joined the forums yesterday and there are some GREAT recipes posted there that I intend to try.

I did make the Thai chicken dish last night. Fairly easy......grill onions in the dutch oven first, add everything else and put in the oven at 200 for 3 hours. It was delicious and plenty left over. I made a pot of rice to go with it and a salad.

I will take a look at the Well Fed Paleo too.

Dawn

Dawn, you might want to look at "Well Fed Paleo" while at the library. Paleo is essentially the same as Primal, and WFP has a unique approach to keeping you at low time in the kitchen most days of the week (with a couple of prep hours one weekend day)

I talk about it quite a bit too and I cannot lose weight! I am nowhere near a good weight for me and my calories have been low.

I have tried Vegan and loved it for how it made me feel but I lost no weight.

Weight Watchers was no help because I already eat that amount to maintain!

I believe my metabolism is low....which really means more exercise, which I really, really want to make happen but somehow can't get motivated.

Before kids I was at an average weight. I even got actually skinny for 5 minutes in my 20s :lol: but it was TONS of work! I went to the gym after work, was hungry much of the time, and was overly diligent about my food intake. I actually liked that hungry feeling back then. I can't handle it well now. Maybe part of it is because I could feel that hunger and stay away from food unlike now where I still have to feed my family.

Dawn

Sweetie Pie. :) Please do not take this the wrong way. :)

Here's the thing-- most of your posts have to do with weight , your weight, weight loss. Are you entirely sure you are not within normal range for your build?

There is *no* magic bullet. You might be more curvy than current society deems 'perfect'. (Most of us are.) Uness you are eating zillions of calories a day, and then sitting on your butt eating extra Cheetos, you are what you are, and that is OK!

I know, right?! I am only on week 12 so I am still transitioning to more weights but i do have two days of "jello legs and arms"! It is so motivating to watch my stomach get flatter and arms and thighs get toned...

Dropping 4 pant sizes...that is fantastic! You go, girl :)

12 weeks! That is great! Jello arms and legs--that's it. Great way to explain it. I keep telling my husband, "It doesn't actually hurt, but they just won't work!" ha ha. Of course, the next day it can hurt--but I love that pain! :D

Dawn, you might want to look at "Well Fed Paleo" while at the library. Paleo is essentially the same as Primal, and WFP has a unique approach to keeping you at low time in the kitchen most days of the week (with a couple of prep hours one weekend day)

We eat paleo, and dinner prep rarely takes more than about half an hour. Sometimes I'll do something more involved and it takes more, but that generally happens on days when I find the creating process therapeutic :). Sometimes it takes all of about 5 minutes - a lot of cooking involves rubbing spices on meat and sticking it somewhere to cook. Often the prep happens early in the day, and I either use the crock pot or just wait to cook it.

It takes a bit of learning and adjustment, but I honestly don't see it as significantly more effort than "normal" cooking.

Here's some crock pot recipe sites:

http://mypaleocrockpot.blogspot.com/

http://paleopot.com/

Personally, I've lost a lot of weight on paleo without effort or any real feeling of deprivation. At the moment, I easily maintain at the lower end of my ideal weight range. I don't feel like I can reasonably say the weight loss is 100% due to paleo so I have a hard time feeling right recommending it to others without qualification, but I do feel that it was a good move health-wise for numerous reasons beyond just weight.

I'm also pretty convinced that, at least for me, wheat is a potent appetite stimulant. I've used that therapeutically at times when I needed my appetite stimulated (morning sickness!), but it seems right to avoid when trying to lose weight.

While it's a lifestyle change, it isn't something where you can *never* eat any specific food again. Most people eating paleo who don't have serious health issues they're trying to control "cheat" occasionally without any significant ill effects.

Interesting thoughts.

I can't handle wheat due to gastrointestinal issues, but I often eat it anyway, knowing the consequences.

However, I haven't done it for weight loss and I have never gone more than 3 weeks without some form of wheat, even though I know I feel so much better without it.....how sad is that?

I have never noticed the appetite thing, but it makes a lot of sense. I know sugar can be that way too and I have gotten a fairly good grasp on severely limiting sugar. Sugar doesn't temp me nearly as it used to.

Dh is begging me to get a handle on the weight thing. We have had several friends have serious health issues lately and he feels that if I could get below obese, it would make the chance of me sticking around longer better. He has never made a comment about my looks or anything negative other than from a health perspective.

Do you eat rice and potatoes? I notice several of the recipes have rice and potatoes for dinner meals.

Hopefully the book will be better at explaining amounts.

Dawn

We eat paleo, and dinner prep rarely takes more than about half an hour. Sometimes I'll do something more involved and it takes more, but that generally happens on days when I find the creating process therapeutic :). Sometimes it takes all of about 5 minutes - a lot of cooking involves rubbing spices on meat and sticking it somewhere to cook. Often the prep happens early in the day, and I either use the crock pot or just wait to cook it.

It takes a bit of learning and adjustment, but I honestly don't see it as significantly more effort than "normal" cooking.

Here's some crock pot recipe sites:

http://mypaleocrockpot.blogspot.com/

http://paleopot.com/

Personally, I've lost a lot of weight on paleo without effort or any real feeling of deprivation. At the moment, I easily maintain at the lower end of my ideal weight range. I don't feel like I can reasonably say the weight loss is 100% due to paleo so I have a hard time feeling right recommending it to others without qualification, but I do feel that it was a good move health-wise for numerous reasons beyond just weight.

I'm also pretty convinced that, at least for me, wheat is a potent appetite stimulant. I've used that therapeutically at times when I needed my appetite stimulated (morning sickness!), but it seems right to avoid when trying to lose weight.

While it's a lifestyle change, it isn't something where you can *never* eat any specific food again. Most people eating paleo who don't have serious health issues they're trying to control "cheat" occasionally without any significant ill effects.

I have never noticed the appetite thing, but it makes a lot of sense. I know sugar can be that way too and I have gotten a fairly good grasp on severely limiting sugar. Sugar doesn't temp me nearly as it used to.

Do you eat rice and potatoes? I notice several of the recipes have rice and potatoes for dinner meals.

No rice or potatoes. Occasional sweet potatoes when there's a super good deal, but they seem to give me gas :tongue_smilie: (one of the few remaining foods in my diet that cause that particular problem).

Whether or not you include them is up to you. I think that, for the most part, they're not included as "paleo" because of the low-carb/paleo conflation, and there's not necessarily any good reason for that if you aren't doing it for weight loss purposes. Personally, I don't aim for low carb, but probably end up there by default. My husband is doing low carb, so most meals are prepared based on that since the rest of us can add carbs elsewhere if needed.

I found that, about a week after giving up grains, my sugar cravings diminished substantially. I woke up one morning and no longer cared if I had sugar in my coffee. I still have white sugar in my diet on occasion (since I'm not trying to lose weight), but it's a take it or leave it sort of thing now.

It's been even more amazing for my kids in that regard - they think treats taste perfectly sweet when I think they could use a little more sugar!

I talk about it quite a bit too and I cannot lose weight! I am nowhere near a good weight for me and my calories have been low.

Weight Watchers was no help because I already eat that amount to maintain!

I believe my metabolism is low....which really means more exercise, which I really, really want to make happen but somehow can't get motivated.

One big thing I learned, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, is that starvation level calories work only to a point, then your metabolism slows to a crawl to conserve what you have until the "famine" is over.

When I did weight watchers and initially lost, then stalled for months and months and months, I was eating about 1600-1800 calories a day (I was 260 at the time). Mathematically I *should* have been losing, and losing steadily, but I wasn't. I simply stalled and nothing, not dropping calories more, not increasing exercise, not dropping some foods (dairy) or adding more (vegetables) worked to stimulate another darn pound to go from my body.

When I did low-carb (Atkins) as my last ditch effort (I really thought the diet was probably unhealthy when I started it, but was willing to try it if it worked), it turned out I was eating 2200-2400 calories on average while I was losing weight. I didn't know it at first since I didn't look at calories, just my carbohydrate, but in time I was curious, so I started tracking in FitDay and sure enough, I was eating MORE calories and finally losing weight consistently.

I later read somewhere that you should eat enough calories to always cover your basal needs (breathing, body temp control, etc.) before any movement. When I looked mine up, it's around 2200 calories. Apparently when you drop below your basal level, your body registers famine/starvation and lowers everything possible to preserve your body fat.

Since losing the weight, I've maintained my weight loss (gained appropriately in two pregnancies and lost it again) by eating kinda-sorta paleo (I like dairy, so not true paleo), with moderate carbs (average 90-150g a day) without a problem. Interestingly, if I keep the carbs around those levels, I don't gain eating up to 2800 calories a day (I average around 2600 though). If I increase carbs too much though, say I average 200-300g daily for a week, I'll start to gain weight at that calorie level.

YMMV

I was told to eat more and I gained weight. I am 4'11".

Dawn

One big thing I learned, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, is that starvation level calories work only to a point, then your metabolism slows to a crawl to conserve what you have until the "famine" is over.

When I did weight watchers and initially lost, then stalled for months and months and months, I was eating about 1600-1800 calories a day (I was 260 at the time). Mathematically I *should* have been losing, and losing steadily, but I wasn't. I simply stalled and nothing, not dropping calories more, not increasing exercise, not dropping some foods (dairy) or adding more (vegetables) worked to stimulate another darn pound to go from my body.

When I did low-carb (Atkins) as my last ditch effort (I really thought the diet was probably unhealthy when I started it, but was willing to try it if it worked), it turned out I was eating 2200-2400 calories on average while I was losing weight. I didn't know it at first since I didn't look at calories, just my carbohydrate, but in time I was curious, so I started tracking in FitDay and sure enough, I was eating MORE calories and finally losing weight consistently.

I later read somewhere that you should eat enough calories to always cover your basal needs (breathing, body temp control, etc.) before any movement. When I looked mine up, it's around 2200 calories. Apparently when you drop below your basal level, your body registers famine/starvation and lowers everything possible to preserve your body fat.

Since losing the weight, I've maintained my weight loss (gained appropriately in two pregnancies and lost it again) by eating kinda-sorta paleo (I like dairy, so not true paleo), with moderate carbs (average 90-150g a day) without a problem. Interestingly, if I keep the carbs around those levels, I don't gain eating up to 2800 calories a day (I average around 2600 though). If I increase carbs too much though, say I average 200-300g for a week, I'll start to gain weight at that calorie level.

YMMV

I was told to eat more and I gained weight. I am 4'11".

Dawn

Oh, I am that short, too! Gosh, how much to eat is pretty tricky - body type, activity level, body composition and so forth.

I am shooting for 1500-1900 calories with 40/30/30 - protein/carb/fat. Honestly, the more vegetables and whole fruit I eat, the better everything seems to work.

Ok. I just finished "Why We Get Fat". That was a mind-blowing wake-up call! I have a question for anyone with personal experience. The last time I tried to Atkins, I could stay in ketosis around 60g of carbs per day. Surely, this bodes well for my chances of not being terribly insulin resistant/metabolic syndrome? I am starting again and am already down nearly 5 pounds with today being day 5. I know this is water though.

Ok. I just finished "Why We Get Fat". That was a mind-blowing wake-up call! I have a question for anyone with personal experience. The last time I tried to Atkins, I could stay in ketosis around 60g of carbs per day. Surely, this bodes well for my chances of not being terribly insulin resistant/metabolic syndrome? I am starting again and am already down nearly 5 pounds with today being day 5. I know this is water though.

From my understanding, after talking to a number of people who know a lot more than me about it, is that at or below 40g a day (60g male) you'll be continuously making ketones for energy, between 40/60-150g you'll cycle in and out of ketosis as needed without losing the ability to flip to ketones as needed and gluconeogenesis as needed. Once you exceed 120-150g (or about 20% of your calories as carbohydrate) you impair your gluconeogenesis (making glucose on demand) and ketone production and burn primarily glucose and trigger hunger more intensely to consume more carbohydrate to continue to fuel the glucose based energy use.

lol, not being able to walk up stairs because your legs and butt hurt THAT much. Gotta love squats. But you feel like superwoman after you recover. :001_smile:

From my understanding, after talking to a number of people who know a lot more than me about it, is that at or below 40g a day (60g male) you'll be continuously making ketones for energy, between 40/60-150g you'll cycle in and out of ketosis as needed without losing the ability to flip to ketones as needed and gluconeogenesis as needed. Once you exceed 120-150g (or about 20% of your calories as carbohydrate) you impair your gluconeogenesis (making glucose on demand) and ketone production and burn primarily glucose and trigger hunger more intensely to consume more carbohydrate to continue to fuel the glucose based energy use.

Cool! Thanks.

Now, people with persistently high insulin levels, insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome are even more intolerant of carbohydrate? Meaning they'll have a difficult time cycling in and out of ketosis as needed on higher carb levels, without triggering hunger and carb cravings?

lol, not being able to walk up stairs because your legs and butt hurt THAT much. Gotta love squats. But you feel like superwoman after you recover. :001_smile:

I love the superwoman feeling! Lifting weights is amazing. I'm sitting here eating breakfast in pain from doing 30 squats yesterday with a 25 pound barbell on my shoulders. But I love it!! :lol:

Sweetie Pie. Please do not take this the wrong way.

I've been trying not to.

most of your posts have to do with weight , your weight, weight loss.

This, I thought, was a bit disturbing. I can't imagine ever calling out someone on these boards or any other, and pointing out what most of their posts are about. I dare not imagine it being any business of mine. :confused:

Yes, maybe you have a point and most of my posts are about weight. But so what? That's where my focus is these days. Obviously, topics about weight loss and diet are of relevance and interest to many, hence the mere length of this and similar threads. So no, it's not just moi.

My original post asks opinions from those who have hopefully read the book or know about this approach.

I feel that my posts are now being police-d and monitored. Since I feel that I should possibly justify the distribution of my posts, please excuse my brainstorming.

We're not allowed to talk about politics here, but boy do I love that topic.

I would post about curriculum and homeschooling approaches, but we're very content with what we're currently using and no more needs to be said on that. I used to post on that a lot.

Topics like ... ummm ... The Duggars or The Pearls - not interested :rolleyes:

Khan Academy - love it!

Health Topics - I still post on those - when others don't seem to mind. I LOVE those.

Spelling Corrections - "loose weight" versus "lose weight" - anyone remember how others jumped down my throat for that one?! :lol:

I post on the weekly book thread regularly and love that.

Other than that, since we are allowed to talk about diet, weight loss, and health here - I don't feel that I need to be restrained, thank you very much.

Are you entirely sure you are not within normal range for your build?

Close, but not quite. :)

82401868151582942_zs2jN33x_f.jpg

As I have said before, it's quite easy to lose the weight. It's the keeping it off that's the challenge for most of us.

There is *no* magic bullet.

True that. :D Just like everything in life.

You might be more curvy than current society deems 'perfect'. (Most of us are.)

Yes, and I love being curvy. I do not like the emaciated or highly muscular type. I don't want to be any other type.

Uness you are eating zillions of calories a day, and then sitting on your butt eating extra Cheetos

Well ... actually. This is what I have been doing for the past 3 weeks. Fasting. Cheetos every single night. :lol: How did you know? Once Wednesday rolls around, back to turning over a new leaf. How did you know that I LOVE Cheetos? :D

Off to read and reply to other posts soon. I love this thread. Thank you all for your fabulous posts.

I've dropped nearly 4 pant sizes

my stomach get flatter and arms and thighs get toned...

:party:

I even got actually skinny for 5 minutes in my 20s

:lol:

Yep, I hear you. :grouphug:

unlike now where I still have to feed my family.

This. :glare:

I'm also pretty convinced that, at least for me, wheat is a potent appetite stimulant.

Yes, I've been rather reluctantly coming around to this way of thinking.

Mind you, I don't normally eat much wheat.

I was told to eat more and I gained weight.

Yep. I never understand this logic of how one needs to eat more to lose weight. This has never worked for me.

I meant my lecture to be more of a hug.

I honestly do appreciate that. :grouphug:

I am starting again and am already down nearly 5 pounds with today being day 5. I know this is water though.

Still great nonetheless. :D

Good job!

I find it hard to stick to strictly. I do tend to eat lower carb even when I'm not being strict because I prefer lower carb foods. But remaining strict day to day is still not as easy as it sounds (especially because I cannot seem to get my family to do the same).

I'm pretty sure this will be me also. :glare:

Really? I have never heard that.

Yes, it is true. Us shorter women (I'm 5' 2") are supposed to live longer. I don't care nearly as much about longevity as I do about quality.

Cool! Thanks.

Now, people with persistently high insulin levels, insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome are even more intolerant of carbohydrate? Meaning they'll have a difficult time cycling in and out of ketosis as needed on higher carb levels, without triggering hunger and carb cravings?

Basically yes; they'll (usually) easily cycle ketones-glucose at or below 60g of carb, but as carbohydrate increases, say to 90g, the time to clear insulin when they consume glucose takes longer because their insulin production overcompensates (too much insulin), so their blood glucose can fall slightly below baseline (78-82), thus hunger is triggered before ketone use switches from glucose. If someone has persistently high levels of insulin, they'll likely need to remain at or below 60g of carbohydrate for the majority of their eating. If a day of higher carbohydrate triggers massive cravings, they'll need to not to that occasionally, but just stick with the lower carbohydrate.

My Primal Blueprint cookbook arrived. Now I feel really dumb......that was not rice with the Thai chicken dish, it was riced cauliflower!

But here is my huge dilemma. I love cabbage and cauliflower....ok, maybe not love, but somewhat like if I can't have rice :tongue_smilie: but they DO NOT like me! In fact, very few vegetables like me on a long term basis, particularly the gassy ones :lol:

How do you bulk your food up low carb and low calorie if you can't eat a lot of steamed or cooked veggies????

Dawn

Yes, I just finished it too. I've gathered a lot of the info. in bits and pieces over the years, but the indepth science and case studies are so fascinating and compelling. Also, made me realize that even though I've been quite overweight, and even in the obese category, I have had "those attitudes" toward the morbidly obese myself when seeing families in my area with those very thin children and very large parents.

I also thought it was interesting that he did mention that some people's bodies simply don't have issues with carbs. It doesn't raise their insulin levels to a detrimental level. But for anyone seriously struggling with weight, cholesterol, heart, or other issues, it's not anything to take lightly.

Also thought it was interesting his take on exercise as a method for losing weight. That those 5 lbs of muscle only burn, what did he say, 40 extra calories per day? And it takes a good 4-6 months of serious weight training to gain 5 lbs of muscle.

Although I do think exercise has other benefits - helps improve hormone levels (esp. cortisol, adrenalin. HGH), strengthens your body for basic activities, lung capacity, etc., and can improve mood/emotions (although sometimes those might be related to hormones).

Well, this solidifies my argument. If I exercise even two weeks and don't lose EVERYONE comments, "OH, well, muscle weighs more than fat, so that must be why."

Um, NO, not with only 2 weeks of exercise and not when my clothing isn't any looser.

Yes, I just finished it too. I've gathered a lot of the info. in bits and pieces over the years, but the indepth science and case studies are so fascinating and compelling. Also, made me realize that even though I've been quite overweight, and even in the obese category, I have had "those attitudes" toward the morbidly obese myself when seeing families in my area with those very thin children and very large parents.

I also thought it was interesting that he did mention that some people's bodies simply don't have issues with carbs. It doesn't raise their insulin levels to a detrimental level. But for anyone seriously struggling with weight, cholesterol, heart, or other issues, it's not anything to take lightly.

Also thought it was interesting his take on exercise as a method for losing weight. That those 5 lbs of muscle only burn, what did he say, 40 extra calories per day? And it takes a good 4-6 months of serious weight training to gain 5 lbs of muscle.

Although I do think exercise has other benefits - helps improve hormone levels (esp. cortisol, adrenalin. HGH), strengthens your body for basic activities, lung capacity, etc., and can improve mood/emotions (although sometimes those might be related to hormones).

Yeah, the chapter on exercise blew my mind. Completely shifted my attitude from weight loss to overall health. I walk now instead of run because a) I really enjoy walking and b) why kill my joints? and c) it's good for my heart, stress levels and I get my Vit. D and d) I really enjoy walking!

Basically yes; they'll (usually) easily cycle ketones-glucose at or below 60g of carb, but as carbohydrate increases, say to 90g, the time to clear insulin when they consume glucose takes longer because their insulin production overcompensates (too much insulin), so their blood glucose can fall slightly below baseline (78-82), thus hunger is triggered before ketone use switches from glucose. If someone has persistently high levels of insulin, they'll likely need to remain at or below 60g of carbohydrate for the majority of their eating. If a day of higher carbohydrate triggers massive cravings, they'll need to not to that occasionally, but just stick with the lower carbohydrate.

Thank you for this...I have been trying to figure out my baseline ketone cycle and for some reason, how you explained that was very helpful :)

the in-depth science and case studies are so fascinating and compelling.

:iagree: and this is one of the main reasons I really like this book. It also helps that it's written in a very engaging style. You don't feel as if you're reading a diet/health book that would normally bore one to tears.

Yes. My dh and ds fall in the former category. Lucky things.

This is one of the main reasons that I've been interested in this book. Others had recommended it to me time and time again because of his take on exercise. I've read so many studies and articles on this. Plus, my own personal experience. Yes, exercise is fabulous for overall health - physical, mental, and emotional. But when it comes to weight loss, I have found, that sadly, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I have numbers and pictures to prove it (not that I feel comfortable sharing either ;)). If anyone is interested in further info on exercise and weight loss, I can share that here also.

My Primal Blueprint cookbook arrived. Now I feel really dumb......that was not rice with the Thai chicken dish, it was riced cauliflower!

But here is my huge dilemma. I love cabbage and cauliflower....ok, maybe not love, but somewhat like if I can't have rice :tongue_smilie: but they DO NOT like me! In fact, very few vegetables like me on a long term basis, particularly the gassy ones :lol:

How do you bulk your food up low carb and low calorie if you can't eat a lot of steamed or cooked veggies????

Dawn

You can use diced summer squash and/or zucchini for the same texture as riced cauliflower, just sautee until tender, not soft.

.. if you haven't already watched it.

It's well worth your time to watch the whole thing! He has shorten versions of this talk but this one is the whole story and the best.

Thank you so much.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to long video clips, but I'll try to see it in shorter bits and pieces - to break it up into segments - while drinking my green tea (without sugar, of course!) :)