Menu

Where can I watch Bill Nye the Science Guy??

asmall

I was trying to find science shows for my kids. I remember loving Bill Nye the Science Guy, but I can't find where to watch it. I looked on Netflix and hulu, and didn't find it. Does anyone know where I can watch this with my kids. The website has lots of teacher resources to go with the episodes. It looks like lots of fun if we can watch the shows.

AL

Discovery Streaming has "Stuff Happens with Bill Nye." But I just started watching it, and it's nothing like the older series.

The episode I'm watching (about breakfast) has a section about how commercial bacon production leads to overfishing, because the pigs are fed fishmeal. And this, in turn, is leading to a decline in bird populations.

I thought this was interesting, and could lead to some good discussions... but then he kept on going, and IMO really overdid it by about 1000x with the fear-mongering and dumbing-down. It reached a crescendo with flashing graphics about how, if we keep eating bacon, in 50 years, we will have zero fish left!!!!! All this in 2 minutes and 45 seconds. Then on to the next culinarily induced crisis. :001_huh:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve, in the larger scheme of things. We already do the things he suggests (buying organic bacon, preferably pastured), but we do this out of a larger sense of ecology, not out of some shallow and naive idea that we're saving the penguins. And IMO, the mindset this show is encouraging is shallow and naive. He only mentions bacon, even though there are plenty of other pork products out there. And he only talks about "Western nations," even though many Asian countries consume even more pork per capita. And he neglects to mention that the major commercial alternative to fishmeal is soy meal -- and that maybe pigs shouldn't be eating that, either. (But since the soy farmers are in the US, and the fishermen are in Peru, I guess the latter are a safer target.)

My crush on Bill Nye is officially over. :tongue_smilie: He doesn't even look good in an apron. ;)

Some videos are better than others. A few left me feeling like I had wasted my time watching them. Others have been very helpful.

The ones on topics where you worry about needing expensive lab equipment, or needing to know lots of advanced math, are often the best.

Here is an old post with links to pdfs available through wayback machine that list all the videos, provide information about the science standards, and even comprehension questions and more.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2870886&postcount=44