Menu

Gardeners... buying any new roses this year?

I'm thinking about Sunshine Daydream -- she's the 2012 AARS Winner. I seldom buy roses that aren't fragrant, but I'm a sucker for buttery yellows. I'm also thinking about Sugar Moon (white hybrid tea). As soon as it warms up, I'll be heading out to Heirloom Roses to wander through their gardens and scout out other ideas.

Anyone else want to share their 2012 plans? I'm dreaming of spring (even though it's been snowing here in the Pacific NW).

You just had to bring up buying more roses, didn't you?

Sigh...I have five baby Republic of Texas roses that need to go in the ground somewhere before I bring home new ones. I know where I'd like them, but it means establishing a new bed. I just don't think there are the funds or the energy for that right now.

I'm generally an antique rose girl myself. I keep an ever changing list of wants going from the Antique Rose Emporium online catalog. My biggest want right now is something richly fragrant...tea roses, which do fantastic in my climate, just don't have that old garden rose scent I crave. I cherish the stinky roses I already have.

Off to drool over rose photos at ARE....

I just planted a Double Delight in the empty space where I pulled out something I hated. My rose garden is now complete. Hopefully. Although there is a yellow rose in there that just isn't pulling its weight in the bouquets whose days may be numbered!

I'm mostly into Heritage roses myself, but I love that a rose is named for a Greatful Dead lyric (I assume). Anyone else thinking "Creamery Show" Veneta Oregon 1972? :D

My current project is to finish a split-rail fence with arbors to support some classic old yellow French Tea-Noisettes, including: Maréchal Niel, Chromatella, Reve d'Or and Bouquet d'Or.

The roses of the moment are my four Gloire de Dijons whose blooms absolutely breathtaking. What a beautiful rose! I'm looking forward to spring.

Happy planting! :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I just planted a Double Delight in the empty space where I pulled out something I hated. My rose garden is now complete. Hopefully. Although there is a yellow rose in there that just isn't pulling its weight in the bouquets whose days may be numbered!

That's like saying you have all the books you need.:tongue_smilie: I just don't think it's possible. YOu may be out of space, but complete is such a final word. ;) There are so many lovely old garden roses out there.

Me...I just start planting elsewhere in the yard...eventually we build a bed around the roses.

You just had to bring up buying more roses, didn't you?

Sigh...I have five baby Republic of Texas roses that need to go in the ground somewhere before I bring home new ones. I know where I'd like them, but it means establishing a new bed. I just don't think there are the funds or the energy for that right now.

I'm generally an antique rose girl myself. I keep an ever changing list of wants going from the Antique Rose Emporium online catalog. My biggest want right now is something richly fragrant...tea roses, which do fantastic in my climate, just don't have that old garden rose scent I crave. I cherish the stinky roses I already have.

Off to drool over rose photos at ARE....

Do you like White roses? The Tea Mademoiselle de Sombreuil (not to be confused with the Wichuraiana climber know as Sombreuil) has IMO a very nice scent from the Bourbon side of its lineage. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the year for mine to go from "creep" to "leap."

ARE has ONE (1) in stock.

Bill

Speaking of roses--anyone have suggestions for insanely hardy ones? I have yellow and copper foetida roses and I'd love to find others that could survive here. We're talking Zone 3 here, guys!

Have you heard of "Buck roses?" They were bred by Dr Griffith Buck to survive harsh winters. I have no first-hand experience (being from la-la land) but they have a good reputation.

Some of the older once blooming European roses (Albas, Damasks, and Gallicas might work). They are beautiful roses, but hard to grow here for lack of "chill."

Bill

I would love to buy another Pink Gruss an Aachen, because I love my first one so. And I've got a Heritage that needs to go in the ground. But, I would love to find a good enough spot that I can finally get a tea rose to thrive. I don't know why they don't seem to like it in my yard :confused1:. I'm determined to try again, though. Maybe another try at Duchesse de Brabant or Mrs. B. R. Cant....

Have you heard of "Buck roses?" They were bred by Dr Griffith Buck to survive harsh winters. I have no first-hand experience (being from la-la land) but they have a good reputation.

Some of the older once blooming European roses (Albas, Damasks, and Gallicas might work). They are beautiful roses, but hard to grow here for lack of "chill."

Bill

I'm in zone 7b, so no help for the upper zones, but I LOVE my Buck roses. My favorite is Carefree Beauty, sometimes known as Katy Rose Pink. Mine throws flamboyant pink roses all summer. The spring flush is outstanding. I've got another Buck, but I can't recall the name at the moment.

Do you like White roses? The Tea Mademoiselle de Sombreuil (not to be confused with the Wichuraiana climber know as Sombreuil) has IMO a very nice scent from the Bourbon side of its lineage. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the year for mine to go from "creep" to "leap."

ARE has ONE (1) in stock.

Bill

I have the wrong one, lol. Or I have the one that should be known as White something or other. (Chemo brain is alive and well in my head....) No scent. My Sombreuil (which I got during an actual visit to ARE a few years ago) is a climber with wicked thorns, a lazy attitude, and truly gorgeous blooms. I'm thinking of shovel pruning her and starting over. She graces, with little enthusiasm, the white metal arch at the entrance to my white garden. Need something there with more oomph.

I have the wrong one, lol. Or I have the one that should be known as White something or other. (Chemo brain is alive and well in my head....) No scent. My Sombreuil (which I got during an actual visit to ARE a few years ago) is a climber with wicked thorns, a lazy attitude, and truly gorgeous blooms. I'm thinking of shovel pruning her and starting over. She graces, with little enthusiasm, the white metal arch at the entrance to my white garden. Need something there with more oomph.

You have the Wichuraniana climber (related to New Dawn) called Sombreuil. It is thorny and NOT a Tea rose, but it was mistakenly sold as a Tea for years. It was also sold as Colonial White.

The "real" Tea rose is now called Mlle de Sombreuil.

Both are good roses. I have 12 of the climbers (Sombreuil) growing out front.

Bill

Speaking of roses--anyone have suggestions for insanely hardy ones? I have yellow and copper foetida roses and I'd love to find others that could survive here. We're talking Zone 3 here, guys!

I had a gorgeous rugosa and a couple of the explorer roses when I was in zone 3.

That's like saying you have all the books you need.:tongue_smilie: I just don't think it's possible. YOu may be out of space, but complete is such a final word. ;) There are so many lovely old garden roses out there.

Me...I just start planting elsewhere in the yard...eventually we build a bed around the roses.

:D I like your philosophy!

So far I've just stuck with the popular tea roses. There's one decent spot in the yard that gets full sun to grow them. Otherwise, we've got lots and lots of shade trees (we get hot summers). I'm very much a novice when it comes to growing roses.

You have the Wichuraniana climber (related to New Dawn) called Sombreuil. It is thorny and NOT a Tea rose, but it was mistakenly sold as a Tea for years. It was also sold as Colonial White.

The "real" Tea rose is now called Mlle de Sombreuil.

Both are good roses. I have 12 of the climbers (Sombreuil) growing out front.

Bill

I will be changing these out. I wanted the Mlle de Sombreuil...Miss Witchy will have to go...Wanna come hassle those thorns with me????

I will be changing these out. I wanted the Mlle de Sombreuil...Miss Witchy will have to go...Wanna come hassle those thorns with me????

It makes my rose friends crazy when I say it (so I often do :D) but I think good prickles give a rose character. Sombreuil is a great grower and bloomer here, and usually quite fragrant (not always). And is is quite rare in private gardens. It is a keeper here.

Bill

:D I like your philosophy!

So far I've just stuck with the popular tea roses. There's one decent spot in the yard that gets full sun to grow them. Otherwise, we've got lots and lots of shade trees (we get hot summers). I'm very much a novice when it comes to growing roses.

Do you mean Tea roses, or Hybrid Tea roses? The latter are the typical modern roses one is likely to find at a nursery.

Bill

It makes my rose friends crazy when I say it (so I often do :D) but I think good prickles give a rose character.
A man after my own heart. :D

I have 100+ antique/heirloom roses. I would love to squeeze a few more in, but will have to see what the nurseries have in stock. Sadly, my favorite "mom and pop" garden center switched from selling only own-root antique roses to - gasp! - landscaping roses last year. :glare: I would love to road trip down to Antique Rose Emporium. :D

I'm in zone 7b, so no help for the upper zones, but I LOVE my Buck roses.
I am in 8a, but am in love with Buck roses. Quietness and Folksinger are my favorites.

A man after my own heart. :D

I have 100+ antique/heirloom roses. I would love to squeeze a few more in, but will have to see what the nurseries have in stock. Sadly, my favorite "mom and pop" garden center switched from selling only own-root antique roses to - gasp! - landscaping roses last year. :glare: I would love to road trip down to Antique Rose Emporium. :D

What are some of the heritage roses you grow?

Bill

Anna de Diesbach (a favorite and one I would like to plant a few more of)

Baroness Rothchild

Comte de Chambord

Paul Neyron

Felicia

Natchitoches Noisette (a 'found' Noisette)

Sombreuil

Maggie (another 'found' rose)

Zepherine Druihin

Duchese de Brabant

Veilchenblaue

Buff Beauty

Madame Berkeley

Safrano

Monsieur Tillier

Autumn Damask

LaMarque

Lady Hillington

Mmle Franziska Krueger

Jeanne d'Arc

Madame Caroline Testout

Blush Noisette

Isabella Sprunt

Newer ones I grow/love:

Perle d'Or

Mrs. RM Finch

Green Ice (mini that does great in my garden, unusual color)

Radiance

Pink Radiance

Dr. Eckner

Katharina Zeimet

Lafter

Baroness Rothchild

Comte de Chambord

Paul Neyron

Felicia

Sombreuil

Zepherine Druihin

Duchese de Brabant

Veilchenblaue

Buff Beauty

Madame Berkeley

Safrano

Monsieur Tillier

Autumn Damask

LaMarque

Lady Hillington

Mmle Franziska Krueger

Jeanne d'Arc

Madame Caroline Testout

Blush Noisette

Isabella Sprunt

Newer ones I grow/love:

Perle d'Or

Mrs. RM Finch

Radiance

Pink Radiance

Dr. Eckner

Katharina Zeimet

Lafter

Oh, I want to come visit your gardens. I have a few on your list. Obiviously, I'm behind in my collecting. DH will be so pleased to hear that. :tongue_smilie:

I mostly do antiques with a few well done hybrids. Nothing too modern except the one and only Pioneer rose--Republic of Texas--that the folks at ARE bred. I'll have to get my garden journal and list them...

Two of my Old Blush roses have blooms on them today...spring has begun!

Baroness Rothchild

Comte de Chambord

Paul Neyron

Felicia

Sombreuil

Zepherine Druihin

Duchese de Brabant

Veilchenblaue

Buff Beauty

Madame Berkeley

Safrano

Monsieur Tillier

Autumn Damask

LaMarque

Lady Hillington

Mmle Franziska Krueger

Jeanne d'Arc

Madame Caroline Testout

Blush Noisette

Isabella Sprunt

Newer ones I grow/love:

Perle d'Or

Mrs. RM Finch

Radiance

Pink Radiance

Dr. Eckner

Katharina Zeimet

Lafter

Nice list!

Bill

:blushing: that would be hybrid tea, I guess. I told you I was an amateur.

No worries. Tea roses were the predecessors of Hybrid Teas. Teas, which were once quite popular—but had faded largely into obscurity—are really beginning to make a comeback in warm regions where they grow so well.

Bill