Menu

Brave Writer --- Can someone please explain this program to me?

I'm looking at this for my rising 5th grader. She is finishing up Writing Tales 1 in about 8 more weeks.

So, Brave Writer. How does it work? Where do I start?

The Writer's Jungle, is that the parent manual?

ETA: So, I'm gathering you get a monthly subscription? I'm assuming you'll have access to those forever once purchased? Also, do you need to buy the books or are they included in the subscription?

You are correct: The Writer's Jungle is the parent manual. You can pull together your own writing program with this manual, if you are so inclined.

I have not used the monthly subscription. You should be able to access a sample to see if it is what you have in mind. I doubt it includes the books. I think it is copywork and dictation that weaves all those things you want to see, like spelling, literary elements, etc., into place for you.

You are correct: The Writer's Jungle is the parent manual. You can pull together your own writing program with this manual, if you are so inclined.

I have not used the monthly subscription. You should be able to access a sample to see if it is what you have in mind. I doubt it includes the books. I think it is copywork and dictation that weaves all those things you want to see, like spelling, literary elements, etc., into place for you.

Thank you for your reply! Would you say the TWJ is worth the price? It seems like a lot of money for a guide. Would this be the only one needed from elementary through high school?

You would not need to purchase anything other than the guide. I bought it for half price from HBC. Some people like to use the monthly periodicals, but I don't plan to. I love the way it encourages writers to find their own voice and for the parent to help shape a writer. I already use part of it. I write down really great stories that my kids tell to show that important things are written down. :D

Thank you for your reply! Would you say the TWJ is worth the price? It seems like a lot of money for a guide. Would this be the only one needed from elementary through high school?

Those are tough questions! It is expensive. For me, yes, I think it was worth the price. I haven't used it at the high school level. I used it with my oldest for about a year and a half (gr. 4/5), and am now using parts of it with the younger two. The underlying philosophy lingers.

I love the way it encourages writers to find their own voice and for the parent to help shape a writer.

:iagree: The model it presents for bringing parents alongside their kids is encouraging and brings joy to writing.