Menu

Help choose an audition song!

16yo dd, voice range soprano to alto (can go to tenor) but prefers middle C and up 2 octaves. She does an awesome job with If I Loved You from Carousel, for example. But, alas, she's sort of sick of it, and wants something more contemporary.

She'll be auditioning for Legally Blonde,age range of auditions 12-18. She isn't going for a specific role -- she doesn't expect the lead because the people putting it on don't know her.

Every song we suggest, she's finding fault with. Anything from Phantom is out because EVERYONE does Phantom. I Can Speak 6 Languages is out because several schools have put on Putnam County Spelling Bee in the past year, so it's likely someone else will whip it out. I voted for Good Morning Baltimore, and she got whiny about whether other girls might do it, too, although I don't recall any schools doing Hairspray recently. We also went through the music from Enchanted, but none of it was "right".:ack2:

Finally she suggested that I ask the Hive for suggestions. Well, why not? What says the Hive? What's upbeat, in the same general style as the show?

My dd auditioned with I Want It Now from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a few months ago (given the role of Wendy Darling :) ). She's 12 though, so I'm not sure it would be right for a 16 year old. We also thought about I Have Confidence from Sound of Music and I Feel Pretty from West Side Story, but neither of those are particularly "modern". What about Popular from Wicked? It's pretty well-used for auditions though.

Edited by mandymom

I Want it Now and I Feel Pretty are great suggestions! Thanks! I'll pass them along.

Yeah, I think Popular is too popular on the audition circuit. And she's currently in Sound of Music, which she loathes (long story as to how THAT happened), so everything from that particular musical is nixed.

Something from Pippin? "Corner of the Sky" or "Love Song?"

"Getting to Know You" from The King and I?

Something from Gershwin? "Someone to Watch Over Me," perhaps?

Hmm.....why is it I can think of a million great songs until I NEED to?

Good luck with the audition!

astrid

Edited by astrid

I asked my DD who is in college on a music (vocal perf.) scholarship, and here's her reply:

" "Just Leave Everything to Me" from Hello Dolly, "Somewhere" from West Side Story, "Popular" from Wicked (sometimes considered overdone), "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" from Sound of Music, "If My Friends Could See Me Now" from Sweet Charity. I'll let you know if I think of anything else."

Good luck to your daughter!

Don't do "Popular!" It is overdone and way more difficult than most people think. I get so sick of hearing from 12-16 year olds.

My sister has auditions for more modern shows (on Broadway and for regional theatre) with POP and rock songs. Look at some Jason Robert Brown shows. They are contemporary and there is plenty of music to choose from. Don't do a song from an anthology or audition book. Try to get a hold of the full score, university libraries have them.

Don't do "Popular!" It is overdone and way more difficult than most people think. I get so sick of hearing from 12-16 year olds.

:iagree: Don't worry -- that was one she ruled out immediately because AT LEAST one girl, if not more, will do it. Although most don't do a particularly good job with it.

My sister has auditions for more modern shows (on Broadway and for regional theatre) with POP and rock songs. Look at some Jason Robert Brown shows. They are contemporary and there is plenty of music to choose from. Don't do a song from an anthology or audition book. Try to get a hold of the full score, university libraries have them.

You know, the other night I was browsing around iTunes, etc., trying to think of other music, and I kept running into 13 -- I had no idea what it was. So after you wrote this I looked up Jason Robert Brown, and, oh, now I get it!

I happened to stop by a music store to browse today and saw the book for 13, so I flipped through it and jotted down a couple of songs to come home and listen to. And, wow, if she wanted to be the hairdresser, I'm a Good Girl would be perfect! Although she really can't picture asking her voice teacher to help her with singing about being a tease or a skank ... we're rather new at this, can you tell? He probably wouldn't much care as long as he thought the range, rhythm, melody, etc., are suitable (they decided all of Enchanted is inappropriate for those reasons).

:iagree: Don't worry -- that was one she ruled out immediately because AT LEAST one girl, if not more, will do it. Although most don't do a particularly good job with it.

You know, the other night I was browsing around iTunes, etc., trying to think of other music, and I kept running into 13 -- I had no idea what it was. So after you wrote this I looked up Jason Robert Brown, and, oh, now I get it!

I happened to stop by a music store to browse today and saw the book for 13, so I flipped through it and jotted down a couple of songs to come home and listen to. And, wow, if she wanted to be the hairdresser, I'm a Good Girl would be perfect! Although she really can't picture asking her voice teacher to help her with singing about being a tease or a skank ... we're rather new at this, can you tell? He probably wouldn't much care as long as he thought the range, rhythm, melody, etc., are suitable (they decided all of Enchanted is inappropriate for those reasons).

13 has some fun songs! Songs From a New World is Another One. The main problem you run into with contemporary musicals is the content of songs. But you can generally find a good 16-32 bar section.