Menu

Fill in the blank: You might be from the Chicago suburbs if . . .

Dd is going to be JokeMaster at an upcoming meeting and is considering some jokes about the Chicago suburbs. Alternately, she is also considering doing a speech at a meeting later this spring comparing Chicago city culture to suburban culture, and would love to throw in some witticisms to spice up the speech.

Fill in the blank:

You might be from the Chicago suburbs if . . .

You might be from Chicago if . . . (referring to being IN the city proper for this one).

Thanks!

You might be from the Chicago suburbs if you refer to all 200 Chicago neighborhoods as "downtown." And this will actually make sense to other suburbanites, since they may live in Elgin, Elmhurst, or Schaumburg but will still, when asked where they're from, say "Chicago!"

(This actually drives me a little bonkers IRL--why can't they just say "near Chicago"? Accurate, and only one syllable longer!)

You might be from the Chicago suburbs if you refer to all 200 Chicago neighborhoods as "downtown." And this will actually make sense to other suburbanites, since they may live in Elgin, Elmhurst, or Schaumburg but will still, when asked where they're from, say "Chicago!"

(This actually drives me a little bonkers IRL--why can't they just say "near Chicago"? Accurate, and only one syllable longer!)

Because I am totally from Chicago. Even though it took nearly an hour to drive into the city. :D

Schaumburg! There's a name I haven't heard in years! I lived in Lake Zurich for years, went to doctors in Barrington and got dragged to Palatine many a time with my mother.

When we lived there Cary was the farthest of the NW burbs of Chicago. Even people in Arlington Heights did not know were we lived!

We lived there when our first dds were born...

I learned about homeschooling from families in our small church... I tutored their kids in Math...but I was NEVER going to homeschool my own children!!!:lol:

The most profound thing I remember from my experience living there was "it is not COLD until your nose hairs freeze!"

I also had one dd 6 weeks early because I decided to shovel 8 in of wet snow in order to get to my OB appointment... OB was NOT happy with my decision!

This is hysterical, and my pet peeve.

When I meet someone and they're like "Yeah, I'm from Chicago" and I say "Oh where, I'm from Armitage & Orchard" and they say "Um, Wheaton...Northbrook... Schaumburg... Park Ridge" I want to punch them. I might let Oak Park or Evanston slide, but seriously.

You might be from the Chicago suburbs if you understand all the traffic updates, you might be from Chicago if you only know the Ike from the Kennedy, but you are probably a bit confused about the Stevenson.

You might be from Chicago if you can know where someone is talking about only using block numbers of the N/S & E/W directions. (I was 2000N, 600 W, BTW)

Edited by radiobrain

When we lived there Cary was the farthest of the NW burbs of Chicago. Even people in Arlington Heights did not know were we lived!

We lived there when our first dds were born...

I learned about homeschooling from families in our small church... I tutored their kids in Math...but I was NEVER going to homeschool my own children!!!:lol:

The most profound thing I remember from my experience living there was "it is not COLD until your nose hairs freeze!"

I also had one dd 6 weeks early because I decided to shovel 8 in of wet snow in order to get to my OB appointment... OB was NOT happy with my decision!

Have you been to Cary recently? It's all grown up!

I'll add some:

You might be from Chicago if you put broken lawn furniture on the street to reserve your freshly-shoveled parking spot.

You might be from the suburbs if you have never put lawn furniture on the street, nor have you have shoveled out a parking spot.

You might be from Chicago if you've had a visit from the alderman's thug . . . er, I mean, campaign worker . . . telling you to go vote today.

You might be from Chicago if you get a visit from the alderman's henchman saying he didn't see you at the polling place, and are there any problems?