Menu

No Va Folks - Weather in mid April?

Dh, I and youngest will be at NIH (near Reston) for a week in mid April. Those of you in No Va - can you give me an idea of what the weather is like in mid April? We're in the South so the summer clothes have already begun to make an appearance here.

I've been looking at weather histories and long term forecasts and they're giving me a 10 - 20 degree spread of possible highs.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm not in No.VA, but in in the DC metro area. This has been an unusual winter so who knows exactly what April will be like. You are right, there is often a 20degree spread as we go through spring. But generally it is chilly/mild (50's) and wet. It can get up into the 70's and be nice a sunny too. But usually that is just for a day or so and then back down to chillier weather. I would bring light layers and a jacket. As your trip approaches, I would recommend checking the weather sites and looking at the 10day forecasts.

I'm not in No.VA, but in in the DC metro area. This has been an unusual winter so who knows exactly what April will be like. You are right, there is often a 20degree spread as we go through spring. But generally it is chilly/mild (50's) and wet. It can get up into the 70's and be nice a sunny too. But usually that is just for a day or so and then back down to chillier weather. I would bring light layers and a jacket. As your trip approaches, I would recommend checking the weather sites and looking at the 10day forecasts.

Thanks Debbi!

We've had a wacky winter here too.

Yep, rain gear and layers. Spring here is all over the place, but you can probably leave the shorts at home. I'm just north of DC, but the weather is the same. I'd pack short and long sleeved Ts, long pants, some light-med jackets/hoodies, and something to keep you dry (coat, umbrella, waterproof shoes). Bring extra shoes in case you get a pair wet.

Yep, rain gear and layers. Spring here is all over the place, but you can probably leave the shorts at home. I'm just north of DC, but the weather is the same. I'd pack short and long sleeved Ts, long pants, some light-med jackets/hoodies, and something to keep you dry (coat, umbrella, waterproof shoes). Bring extra shoes in case you get a pair wet.

We went to NoVa and DC two years ago in MAY and it was in the 40s-50s and rained for days. They told us that was very unusual. However, it does happen.

Be prepared for anything....layers, raincoats, etc...

I'm thinking it's a good thing we're driving. Lots of room for a variety of clothes :lol:

Thanks ladies!

We came to nova the first time in April 2001 to look at houses with a real estate agent -- I packed what I thought we would need.....most of it didn't get worn.

it was in the mid 80s and the twins spent most of the trip (they were 6 months old) in their onesies and little else. older dd who was 25 mos at the time wore t-shirts and onesies as well (I guess - difficult time remembering what she wore) -- anyway, it was HOT. We had the a/c on in the hotel room and in the mini-van.

Now that we have lived here for almost 11 years, I can also tell you that we have had snow in mid-april and have had fires in the fireplace.

Try to cover all your bases.:001_smile:

We went to NoVa and DC two years ago in MAY and it was in the 40s-50s and rained for days. They told us that was very unusual. However, it does happen.

Be prepared for anything....layers, raincoats, etc...

We moved to NoVa in late May 2003, and it rained every day for the next month. Not particularly cold, but I believe it rained literally every day until early July.

the weather can range from cool (sweat jacket needed) to hot. I think I'd come with a light jacket that could double as a rain jacket. You want to check the weather when you are packing the day before you come. We've had years where it was cool and rained every single day. We've had years of drought. We've had years where it was cool all month and years where it was hot.

The only think I'm sure about is you will not need a winter coat. (Now, that I've said, perhaps it will snow).

Where is NIH in Reston. I didn"t know it had satellite facilities.