Menu

Famous Places in Books?

My kids have been begging me to make them a sign/wooden plaque. I've decided to make something like this picture.

tumblr_l75cn2zUWQ1qzdiqvo1_500.jpg

I've thought of The Waiting Place from Oh, the Places You'll Go, Rivendell from Lord of the Rings, and Wonderland from Alice in Wonderland. Can you help me think of some more places? Thanks for any help you can give me.

The Hundred Acre Wood (Pooh)

Redwall Abbey (Redwall)

Oh yes! I have to do Hundred Acre Wood for sure. I haven't read Redwall to the kids yet, but I'll definitely be adding that one, too.

The Big Woods (Little House)

Thank you! The kids just finished the first four books with DH, so I'll have to The Big Woods for sure.

Cool idea!

A couple of years ago we were out hiking on a trail where someone had posted wooden signs. I remember one was Upper Mirkwood and another was Azkaban.

Oh cool - thank you. DS#2 would love for me to make an Azkaban sign.

Do they all have to be make-believe? I think I'd want to include Australia (for Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very-Bad Day) -- among other things. :)

Nope, they don't have to be make-believe. I think I'm going to attach them around our wood fence. (The idea of a post with those signs pointing out right at my kids' eye level doesn't sound so hot).

Thanks for all the ideas! My brain shut down and I was drawing a blank. I hope to do The Shire today. If I get it done, I'll post a pic of it.

How awesome! I want to do this. Maybe I'll make one for the door to the classroom.

I would include Sparta (it's a running joke due to our address and the color of our house)

Other places:

Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Baker St.

Mars (also a joke, I keep telling ds I'm shipping him to Mars someday)

Chincoteague

B-612 (point up :D )

Klickitat Street (Henry, Beezus, Ramona
We live just a five blocks away (to the street itself... it's almost another 20 blocks to get to Beverly Cleary's old house).

We live just a five blocks away (to the street itself... it's almost another 20 blocks to get to Beverly Cleary's old house).

I can't wait to tell my 7yo tomorrow that I know of someone who lives near Klickitat Street! He will be amazed. Henry Huggins is my boy's kindred spirit.

I didn't know it was a real place in Beverly Cleary's hometown.

I can't wait to tell my 7yo tomorrow that I know of someone who lives near Klickitat Street! He will be amazed. Henry Huggins is my boy's kindred spirit.

I didn't know it was a real place in Beverly Cleary's hometown.

She lived very near, but not on, Klickitat Street, but it's such a delightful name, she couldn't help but use it. IIRC she said it reminded her of the sound of knitting needles.