Menu

Math for a my VERY non mathy dd! HELP!

JOHNNABONNA

My oldest dd has such a hard time in math. We use SM and it seems to work well for my youngest and it seems to work okay for oldest dd. We will start something new in her book, work on it together and she seems to understand but then the next time we go over it...nothing! It is like we never went over it! She seems to have ZERO retention for anything math related. We also have been using xtramath.com to practice facts and the same thing there. When I look at her progress on the graph she improved a little in the very beginning but has seemed to plateau. I thought maybe a mastery program might be better for her? I do not want to use MUS though...Any ideas for a program that might be a better fit for her would be greatly appreciated! TIA

My "non-mathy" DD (age 9) has enjoyed TT. It's gentle with lots of review. Math Rider has helped her learn her facts. (Flash Cards, Xtra Math, and every other timed program I've found just frusterated her, but she likes Math Rider for some reason.) I've added in Ed Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math as a way to stretch her brain and get her thinking about math problems in new ways.

Melissa :)

My daughter is the same way. But as far as I'm aware, SM IS mastery and my daughter needs a spiral approach. She might *master* the material, but if we don't revisit the material often, she will completely lose it within a week or two.

So I'm going to pick up Horizons K Math to use alongside Singapore K. I think the review that Horizons provides will help her to eventually master the material to a level where she won't forget it.

I have also heard that Right Start is a good program for kiddos that struggle with math.

I'm also hoping to pick up LoF to use with her down the road...I'm hoping it will help her to see the real-life importance of math.

Might she respond well to the strategies suggested at livingmath? And MEP is an excellent, and free (well, there's printing involved) program. It moves very slowly and systematically through things like numbers and addition, but introduces wonderful math concepts quite early. You could even try starting her in the "Reception" year; the other years are Year1-Year6. If you try it, do look at the lesson plans that go with the practice pages, at least for the first lesson or two.

I think you may like MEP if you don't want MUS: they are sort of opposites.

I am using Maximum Math by Katheryn Stout for my math allergic dd. It is a book that list skills needed in each grade. Each week I pick one or two skills to introduce, review a few skills not mastered, prove mastery of a few skills, and work on math facts. I am taking her strengths, writing and drawing, and have her find ways to prove her work, show work, or make her own work pages. She has gone from tears during math to asking to do it first since we started this a few months ago.

Another vote for Teaching Textbooks. It's a computer CD program and the very patient tutor will show AND tell how to do the math in a very easy to understand way. Plus there's some animation, animated "buddies" to help out, etc. The computer program keeps a grade book for you, there's LOTS of review, it's great. It's made math so much more pleasant at my house, so much easier, so much more independent, so much more fun, boosted confidence so much, etc. etc. I've got a pretty detailed review of it on my blog under "my reviews" on the sidebar to the left if you want to read more.

The first thing that came to my mind was MEP. I've used it with a very bright, loves math child; an average math student, AND with a child who was struggling, hates math, doesn't remember things from day to day (Who was that child I taught this to yesterday AARGH!). It has worked well with all of them. The one who struggles has grown in math so much (no she still doesn't like it). And as was said, it is free,so try it for a good amount of time. Do all of what the lesson plans say. Do expect to have to sit with the child during most of their worksheet(I don't have to sit with my child who loves math nor with my average child). Parent intensive, but worth it.